Star Wars Resistance new animated series...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Bryancd, Apr 26, 2018.

1. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah not really feeling this one. :(

But hey at least Clone Wars is coming back. :)

Ben

Riceball likes this.
  2. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Heeeeeeehhh idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sbaxter

sbaxter Active Member

I was kind of hoping the same thing. Thing is, I was really skeptical overall initially with TCW (which I grew to really love) and then, while I was less skeptical overall with Rebels due to Filoni's track record, I was still not sure it featured a setting I really wanted to see -- probably partly because I felt TCW was ended too early -- but I grew to really enjoy Rebels as well. Therefore, I guess you could say I am skeptical of my own skepticism this time around, because I think Filoni has earned my trust. It does look bright and shiny in a way I wouldn't have quite expected, but if I got used to the 3D CG wooden puppet look of TCW, I can get used to bright and shiny.

Also, it crosses my mind that TCW established the idea of a series with story arcs set at different times within the context of an overall event. It could be that this new series might do some of the same thing.

SSB

4. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

:eek

I literally never made the mental connection between the look of the TCW characters and the "Supermarionation" look of stuff like old Thunderbirds shows before.

Riceball likes this.
  5. mcoractual

mcoractual Well-Known Member

This thing is bombing before it's even aired. The like to dislike ratio may be a death sentence unless they manage to bring something better out of this.

Screenshot_20180823-134008_YouTube.jpg

Not to mention their market - the kids - won't be able to see it unless their parents let them stay up late on school nights. The time slot makes no sense unless you can record them for later viewing (which not everybody has).

These decisions are the epitome of being out of touch with your desired customer base...

canuckmuse likes this.
  6. cboath

cboath Master Member

I recall thinking the trailer for Rebels wasn't too good when it came out either. Too many childish antics by chopper in it IIRC. But, it had tie fighters, so i gave it shot and i'm glad that i did :)

Don't recall if that trailer was well recieved overall, but i don't think it was 'a hit' before it aired.

Riceball likes this.
  7. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

As with Rebels, I'm pretty sure what we're seeing is from the pilot, or, at most, the initial story arc. They haven't had time to animate and voice beyond that yet. So don't take the trailer as indicating the tone or content of the entire series.

Riceball likes this.
  8. mcoractual

That had 11k up-votes and 2.8k down-votes by comparison. When compared to this... that's pretty extensive dislike.

9. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

That looks pretty bad! The animation is so BARF.

10. mcoractual

Just gonna leave this here...

Amazing what passion and talent can do, no? And which clearly lacks said qualities.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    jhazard likes this.
  11. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. Mara Jade's Father

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-...ts-and-will-cross-over-with-the-force-awakens

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  13. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

At least this is something I will be able to watch without having to buy another * streaming service.

Riceball likes this.
  14. Strikerkc

Strikerkc Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was gonna say, reading most of that I felt they probably backed themselves into a corner by making it 6 months before Force Awakens. Not a lot of room to have a whole lot of show until you run out of wiggle room. But, if they're planning for it to continue on past when force awakens happens, they could do a lot of really interesting things with it. It could touch on other portions of the resistance doing things off in other parts of the galaxy, running back end for what we see in the films. Maybe provide some of that same sort of world building and background that clone wars was able to give us, but for force awakens.

Solo4114 and Riceball like this.
  15. mcoractual

Is this free of that?

16. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Only thing really bothering me (well, bothering is probably overstating it, but anyway...) is the "children's theater" over-acting style of the performances. Just over the top, like some of the goofier anime shows.

I know it's for kids and I haven't been one (physically) for at least a couple years ;) but.....

17. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

So once again members need to be reminded to stop the political posts. Just because you see a political post does not mean that you can join the conversation and add your political thoughts. Also, if you are operating under the illusion that we care one bit about which side of the political spectrum your post is based on, you are in for a rude awakening as we couldn't care less what your personal political views happen to be. So keep your politics to yourself when you are posting on the RPF.

masterjedi322 and Riceball like this.
  18. Mara Jade's Father

Not a big fan of Anime. I've got a couple of exceptions but for the most part...meh.

I always felt that both Clone Wars and Rebels were made for both adult and kids. This one seems more kid oriented. But that's okay. I am going to watch for the story and info to grow my knowledge of the Star Wars universe.

I look at it this way... A New Hope.. You can tell the same story in various ways to appeal to different age audiences. You can watch the movie, read a golden book, read an illustrated storybook, listen to the story on an LP, etc, etc, etc... But in the end, it is the same story. So everything I watch any animated series, I except that it is simply one way to tell a Star Wars story and that it could be presented in different ways. The important thing is the core story and the info given.

I am looking forward to more explanation of how the Resistance and First Order formed and existed and what the Star Wars galaxy is like during this time.

And YAY!... Merchandise!

Hasbro: First Look At Star Wars Resistance 3.75-Inch Figures!

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-resistance-action-figures-from-hasbro-are-coming-this-spring/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Treadwell and Riceball like this.
  19. Strikerkc

Yea, hopefully they can avoid having "too many" episodes that are not plot driven, and are instead message driven.

I get that it's a selling point for an honest to god kids' show, but my desire to watch the show won't overpower my lack of desire to watch "Mr. Muffin-scruff, the force sensitive womp rat, help save the station from an out of control space tanker by enlisting the help of his simple minded but good hearted womp rat brethren. Showing that you shouldn't judge a 2 meter target based on the appearance of it's ratty fur, but instead on the contents of it's worm ridden heart." every other episode.

There are, all things considered, very few of those types of episodes in clone wars, but the ones that are there, pain me. :p

Riceball and Treadwell like this.
  20. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Definitely seems to have that "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME OMGWTFBBQ" vibe going on that kids these days seem to like on Youtube... it exhausts me though.

21. Inquisitor Peregrinus

I'm wanting to know more about the two First Order characters we have so far. Commander Pyre...

STAR-WARS-RESISTANCE-3.75-INCH-COMMANDER-PYRE-Figure-2.jpg

...And Major Vonreg...

SW_Resistance_Vonreg.png

Riceball likes this.
  22. Strikerkc

I feel like I've seen that helmet someplace before... has that style shown up in star wars, or am I just having flashbacks to the playing a Warlock in "Destiny"?

Huyang likes this.
  23. Inquisitor Peregrinus

It's evocative of helmets from The Old Republic MMO, from Halo, from Destiny... Face it, T-visors look cool.

Huyang, Strikerkc and Riceball like this.
  24. Victor3

Victor3 Well-Known Member

The visor proportions are very similar to the toy clone trooper helmet.

25. Mara Jade's Father

The first 3 episodes of Star Wars: Resistance are now available to watch* via the DisneyNow app.
    *Must be a Disney Channel subscriber to watch

Huyang likes this.
  26. Strikerkc

That's an asinine "observation". One is meant to replicate a particular animation style of a completely different show/universe, watched be a different age group of people even at the time, and is geared toward almost a completely different audience. They're for different things. That'd be like taking South Park, and any modern Pixar movie and going "Look, this one has janky animation, it can't be entertaining because this other one, meant for different people to watch, looks different "better".

Stuff on the Disney channel is first and foremost for kids. Deal with it. If you expect Evangelion or Rick and Morty on the kids channel, you will be sorely disappointed for your entire life.

Huyang and Reelo like this.
  27. mcoractual

For a franchise that's "supposed to be a children's show" we sure have some interesting things that I wouldn't say are geared at children. Like most of the novels from the 90's, death troopers, and most the dark horse comics.

That being said, I can agree this is geared for a particular audience, but that doesn't excuse the lackluster animation and plot. Clone Wars and Rebels was also geared at similar groups but still managed to be supported by the majority of fans.

This project was green lit while many, many other projects were canceled. Instead, we got this disaster and Battlefront 2 (2018). We missed out on Star Wars Obi-Wan, Star Wars 1313, Maul's videogame, and many others. It's almost as if they don't listen to their customers (big shocker) or outright don't care. Disney (and now Lucasfilm) will never concede defeat in any form even when they are in the wrong.

Guess we're bots or a vocal minority?

TL;DR - cool story bro

20181007_173934.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    halliwax likes this.
  28. mobius303

mobius303 Well-Known Member

I did not like it. I watched the first 3 episodes and well .....not at all a good story.
    It is a terrible let them do what they want type of story and the main character gets a pass on too many things he is doing with no lessons learned from it.
    it is a bad show.

mcoractual likes this.
  29. halliwax

Hey MJF, any luck with xfinity? I freak’n missed it last night, totally forgot and was in bed early.

30. Mara Jade's Father

The episodes are on demand through Xfininty.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  31. halliwax

Yeah for some reason they won’t play today for me.. I think I gotta give it 24 hours before I can watch on demand.

Rebels would do this once and awhile, we’ll see

Huyang likes this.
  32. Mara Jade's Father

go to the Disney channel website or the app and watch them that way.

halliwax and Huyang like this.
  33. Huyang

Huyang Active Member

I’m looking forward to seeing these!

34. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

One arguement I keep seeing is that "it's for kids", as if that gives it a pass for poor animation and lacking strong stories. Kids aren't stupid, and I hate that producers treat their child audiences as such. There's plenty of ways to make a good children's show without resorting to infantilism. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" being one such example. It's a kids show. You can clearly tell that it has the goofy comedic elements of a kids show. But in spite of that the animation is still well done, the characters are very well rounded, and the plotlines dont dumb it down for the kiddies. When I heard we were getting a SW anime, I was hoping for that. Instead we've got Speed Racer the Next Generation in Space.

The Terminator and mcoractual like this.
  35. Mara Jade's Father

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-recruit-episode-guide-star-wars-resistance

36. SawbonesAdmiral

SawbonesAdmiral Active Member

It's pretty fun. I like it so far; I guess the anime they took the most inspiration from was Speed Racer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  37. blueunit1701

blueunit1701 Active Member

I watched the first three episodes last night, got to say I'm not a fan.

The animation like a lot of you have said is shocking, to say the least, it just looks lazy.

We have had shows over the years like the Simpsons, Futurama, Transformers, TMNT, the animated Ghostbusters, I can go on but I'll bore you all. My point is, all these shows are aimed at child audiences but they either have a message attached to them (thinking G.I. Joe now) or some humor in there that adults will understand.

Thought, time and effort went into these programs and it shows.

This abomination is boring, looks cheap and also looks like it has no direction.

I'll read the reviews after the first season is done but I know anyone on here would have put out better than what Disney has.

mcoractual likes this.
  38. halliwax

I managed to watch the first episode. Not feeling it yet. I’m still hopeful

39. Huyang

Huyang Active Member

I got them all in and really enjoyed it. I think it’s for a younger market but with fam service and racing. First order stuff to come keeps the addiction real.

40. Mara Jade's Father

I saw a commercial showing scenes that involve more interaction with the First Order. It is my hope that this is just a slow set up and once they get rolling, there will be more interesting stories and action. Still waiting to get hooked.

I don't mind the animation. I actually like it better that the Clone Wars style. I loved that show but never a fan of that style. That in no way ever affected my enjoyment of the show. It would be ridiculous for me to not watch a show based on animation style.

41. Mara Jade's Father

Some upcoming stuff:

halliwax likes this.
  42. halliwax

The animation doesn’t bother me, I kinda like it. Seems like everything has little scratch marks on it showing its “used” look

I’m more interested in the upcoming clone wars

I seriously wonder why they started this show though... Rebels they used to tie into rogue one

What’s this one all about? You know the second I stop watching the second some big reveal will happen or something lol

43. Inquisitor Peregrinus

In general terms, this is around the time the First Order starts going public. Main character is out undercover to see what he can find out about this mysterious group Leia found evidence of. Given the run-in with Vonreg, he definitely knows something's up. I have a feeling we'll end up learning a lot more about the First Order over the course of the series.

44. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So far a big meh for me.

Not liking the animation. Not liking the characters or the setup. Admittedly it’s early, and things could change, but I bought into Rebels very quickly.

blueunit1701 and mcoractual like this.
  45. halliwax

This takes place 6 months before ep7 right?

46. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I watched the first two episodes. The first one was a total bore. That being said, I love the ship designs. And the race at the end was fun.

The second one was a touch better.

I have to say that as simple and childish as this is, the writing is not nearly as hackneyed as rebels was. Rebels had some great episodes, but in the whole, it was pretty shoddy.

The humour works better here. It's more natural.

And what I really like about this show is that it isn't as concerned with building itself with 'memberberries. In all honesty, they could avoid the first order altogether and turn this into the DS9 of the star wars franchise

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

47. Mara Jade's Father

The Rebel comments aside, I did rewatch the episodes last night with my son and I was able to focus more on the dialog. I have to agree that there was some really good banter between characters. Not sure everyone can appreciate it.

halliwax likes this.
  48. astroboy

If there was one thing I'd hoped for on this it's that I wanted it to be years before TFA, not months

Rebels did a very good job linking the clone wars to the OT, and I don't think this will be much of a link in that way.

Perhaps I wish that it wasn't even linked to the ST. maybe I would prefer that it was off on it's own. Which is what the premise lends itself toward. It seems like a stretch to connect this fueling station to the interests of the first order

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  49. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Everything's a stretch until it isn't. Including in Star Wars, I remember quite a few similar sentiments over the last forty years of fandom. You want something less coupled to the ST? Set years before it? The Mandalorian. Seriously. They're ongoingly nibbling around the edges -- a bit more post-ROTJ, a bit more pre-TFA... Except for some of what Inferno Squad was up to in there, we still have a good two decades in the middle of all this that's still largely a mystery, presently, and I'm personally enjoying the anticipation of what's going to get revealed next.

I'm curious to see what happens with Hera and Jacen, with Ahsoka and Sabine, with Rex, with Ezra, with Thrawn... To see more of Poe's backstory, what happened to the Force tree he grew up near on Yavin IV, what happened to the one at Luke's training center... We'll get there when we get there. I plan to enjoy the ride.

halliwax likes this.
  50. astroboy

Just watched the third episode. I really like it.

The kids love it too. Rebels had a lot of pointless "pew pew" stuff and this is avoiding that.

Have I mentioned that I love the racer ships? I can't wait to see where this goes.

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.