I just received this from saberforge, Going to weather it heavily

Attachments

• 20200918_114141.jpg
    20200918_114141.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 288
  • 20200918_114159.jpg
    20200918_114159.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 186
When you’re merging MHS with found parts are you machining things down/adding threads or is it more pressure fit/adhesive type work?
For the emitter, I reused existing holes in the canon flashbody and enlarged them to fit4-40 screws. I then used some thin nylon tubing (sold as ‘blade diffuser’) to space out the emitter threaded end into the canon flashbody so it was snug and centred. Then I drilled and tapped the emitter to match the canon flashbody and screwed it together.

PMeBbu2.jpg

Ideally I’d thread the canon flashbody somehow but I don’t have the tools or skill to machine a threaded insert so screwing the two parts together using small machine screws was the best alternative.

For the pommel, the canon flashbody has a j-lock lower section that sits nearly flush with the bottom of the clamp. I drilled and tapped two 4-40 holes and inserted threaded rods that were then epoxied in place as there was no room for nuts or a screw head. These threaded rods were inserted into the Roman Props balance pipe and secured with nuts.

owyoycy.jpg

From there I cut the threads off the MHS pommel 12 and used some PVC pipe shaved down to make a spacer to snug the pommel to the balance pipe. Then I drilled through the pommel and balance pipe, tapped for 4-40 and secured the pommel to the balance pipe with brass thumbscrews.

7JfRiND.jpg

Last step was one more 4-40 threaded hole to secure the j-lock to the clamp. Unlike the Graflex, the Canon doesn’t actually clamp the two parts of the flash body together so a screw was required to keep the j-lock tightly secured to the flash body.

Hope that helps.

Incredibly thorough write-up thank you! I find myself caught between indifference for off the shelf parts and wanting to have a convenient hilt for electronics installs, so a middle ground with a mix of both is where I end up. Really appreciate the insight.

More Canon flash goodness, this time two based on Model X flashes.

First off is a particularly aged model X that I dressed up with some MHS parts
hSuu1UR.jpg

I'm waiting on some Sur-Fin brass patina for the neck and I still have to build a blade plug/drill a retention screw but otherwise this sucker's finished. Lots of aluminum black to darken the emitter, gear and pommel to try and get the MHS parts to at least somewhat look as aged as the flashbody and clamp. When I received it, the flash was coated in battery corrosion which was cleaned as best I could but the majority of the nickel plating on the clamp was lost. Still, as a relic, I think it looks pretty good. Installed with proffiepixel.

Second is an alternate universe Model X build, as if Roger Christian had a box of Canon flashes and not Graflexes when he was on the hunt for the perfect on-screen laser-sword prop for 'The Star Wars'
5fD0xzY.jpg

Aside from the WannaWanga grips and bubble strip, this is a static prop using all Canon parts. I still have to fit a d-ring and decide if I want to install it or leave it as it is.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back