Sebastian's Chess Set (Blade Runner, Great Birds)

Slash-5 - thank you again for sharing your knowledge, skills and actual chess pieces with us. Because of you, the BR community now has access to licensed pieces from the original maker.

My pleasure. I was just so frustrated in 2009 when I wanted one, that I swore I'd "by hook or by crook" make legit sets available again to the community! It was a labor of love (maybe anger?)! :)

Slash-5, stop resting on your laurels and get cracking on the light up board with them!

in all honesty, kudos and congrats on seeing this through. I eagerly await mine.

Has anyone given any thought to how to store the pieces safely when not in use or display? I was thinking of a foam-lined Pelican laptop case for 17 inch screens. .

maybe a wooden chess box with separate padded cells for each piece?
I think a standard issue type wooden box with nested cells probably is too small for these over-sized and unusual shaped pieces. Since the LED technology to light such a box is so advanced these days- Slash-5 is right on target with these plans :))

[edit]. Sorry. I’m missing something here. So the chessboard was likely a metal light box, like the ones used by photographers. I understand that.

But there wasn’t a carrying case in the movie, was there? So the carrying case is hypothetical. For consistency, it can be metal. Is that what you mean?

Anyway, there are wooden chess boxes with compartments large enough to hold the birds. But they’re difficult to find. Probably easier to just have one made by a wood maker (or metal maker). I see on Etsy a few sellers who have made wooden ones. The issue is that the compartments would be the same size, and so the smaller pieces would need additional padding to prevent shifting around when the case is being moved.

Last edited:
Returning to color for a moment. I’m fine with mahogany no matter what. The point I wanted to mention is that Ridley Scott adjusted the color gradient on the Final Cut closer to green. So depending on which version of the film someone is looking at, we might come to different conclusions. Luckily slash-5 had the BTS still which likely wasn’t adjusted for color.

Another problem is the possibility that color temperature and gels on the scenic lighting may not match that used in the light box. So two different color temperatures might be reflecting off of the chess pieces. So what I’m saying is that without knowing the lighting set-up here, it’s potentially difficult for us to definitively determine the color of the dark pieces. Regardless, if Hoyle’s and Phil said Mahogany, and Slash conformed this, then I’m fine with that.

I think a standard issue type wooden box with nested cells probably is too small for these over-sized and unusual shaped pieces. Since the LED technology to light such a box is so advanced these days- Slash-5 is right on target with these plans :))
Here is a very quick explanation of how I came to the conclusion they were right:

I took this screenshot (same as yours above) along with about 4 others,

View attachment 1337733

and analyzed it this way:
I calibrated my monitor (EIZO).
I did a general color correction based on these sites, to get as close as I could to a basic color that was close to on set using a curves layer. Notice the skin color.

View attachment 1337734

I basically had to average these, as eyes-for example-can change tone in different lights, etc. The highlight on the chair was pretty good, though.
I zoomed in on an area that was the best lit, and noticed it did look red. However, I used the color dropper to measure the color (when a neutral color is near green, we see red like these strawberries which are gray):

View attachment 1337735

Why?
This Picture Has No Red Pixels—So Why Do the Strawberries Still Look Red?

When I measured it, it was actually brown:

View attachment 1337736

Further proof can be seen when you lower the cyan in another curves adjustment layer (red is not touched much, look at the skin):

View attachment 1337737

When you look at the pieces, they are true brown now, without the cyan fooling your brain. Yes, there is less saturated color overall, but you get the point...

Returning to color for a moment. I’m fine with mahogany no matter what. The point I wanted to mention is that Ridley Scott adjusted the color gradient on the Final Cut closer to green. So depending on which version of the film someone is looking at, we might come to different conclusions. Luckily slash-5 had the BTS still which likely wasn’t adjusted for color.

Another problem is the possibility that color temperature and gels on the scenic lighting may not match that used in the light box. So two different color temperatures might be reflecting off of the chess pieces. So what I’m saying is that without knowing the lighting set-up here, it’s potentially difficult for us to definitively determine the color of the dark pieces. Regardless, if Hoyle’s and Phil said Mahogany, and Slash conformed this, then I’m fine with that.

Yes. Exactly.
I found three different light source colors.

Were these always $260 dollars or have they increased the price?
Based on today's exchange rate they would be $260. The price is set in GBP at £195 which is the price they were launched at but in USD the price might fluctuate depending on exchange rate movements.

Regarding the light box- for those who wish a display piece pulled from the BR set, that is fantastic. However if someone wants to actually use this to play a game of chess, then looking at a Lightbox while doing so will definitely cause eye strain. Can there be a Blade Runner set piece 'setting' and then also a dim setting (or off may be easiest) for actually playing? For storage, I have a cheap Pelican knockoff case coming from Ebay with pluck out foam. The pieces will need to be stored vertically in that but it seems like as good a storage solution as any at this point. I will post pix when I get it and get all the birds into their 'nests'.

Regarding the light box- for those who wish a display piece pulled from the BR set, that is fantastic. However if someone wants to actually use this to play a game of chess, then looking at a Lightbox while doing so will definitely cause eye strain. Can there be a Blade Runner set piece 'setting' and then also a dim setting (or off may be easiest) for actually playing? For storage, I have a cheap Pelican knockoff case coming from Ebay with pluck out foam. The pieces will need to be stored vertically in that but it seems like as good a storage solution as any at this point. I will post pix when I get it and get all the birds into their 'nests'.

I am sure that any board Hoyle's make will have an on/off switch which will do the job as long as the squares can be seen when it's off, which should be the intention anyway. With regards to storage I will leave my set on display on the board but I will get an acrylic cover made up to put over the board and pieces to keep the dust off of them.

So I finally had a chance to open my set last night. The pieces look great. Definitely more detailed than other sets I have seen. And all the beaks arrived intact! :)

One question for those of you who have the set. Regarding the queen (peacock) - there's a stripe down the center of the feathers that has no detail. Is this normal? It's much less obvious on the brown queen because of the darker color. Is everyone's like this or does mine have an issue?

queen.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back