Unlimited Run Blade Runner 'Sector 8' Gun Stands

userd1402

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am making some acrylic gun stands for myself and wonder if anyone else would like one? Here’s some background;

In April 2022 I decided I wanted some display stands for my collection of Blade Runner guns. I know there are some good gun stands out there already but I don’t need lighting and I can’t afford hundreds of pounds each. Laser-cut acrylic is really good but the clear acrylic Tomenosuke stands are out of production at the moment plus they cost over £70 each. I thought I could have custom stands cut from acrylic for less money than that (I trained as a designer so I can design my own stands and thought I would have them cut by an online service). I wanted them to be compact/discreet but also easily identifiable as Blade Runner inspired and hold guns of any make, possibly with just a swap of the upright barrel support for height adjustment. As much as I like the stands made by Tomenosuke I would prefer it if they had design features which echoed the place of the prop within the movie, thematically, by which I mean only imagery which relates to the gun on display so no references directly to Deckard or his apartment and definitely no unicorns!

To that end I designed a new gun stand which uses as it's base the design of the 'Sector 8' symbol on the police badges in the film originally created by legendary graphic designer Tom Southwell. I was very pleased with my design because it used the slight 'gap' at the top of the '8' as a functional recess to hold the grip plate centrally so I don't have to make a separate part to hold the the back of the gun. The stand can be made in opaque coloured acrylic to echo the police badges accurately (see my avatar) or could be translucent. I could even add a genuine red 'amberlith' stripe across the yellow symbol to more accurately copy the Police ID badges seen on screen.

Here’s my original design;

IMG_7625.jpeg

I printed out a paper template and this gave me a very good size comparison with the real prop. I decided not to cut a hole in the yellow part at the front for the muzzle-rest but now have the upright part emerging from the black triangle recess at the front end, opposite the triangle the grip plate sits in. Symmetry is a beautiful thing.

IMG_7627.jpeg

If the muzzle rest now emerges from the triangular recess it only has one layer of acrylic to hold it upright so I have decided to make the base layer 5mm thick instead of 3mm and the upright will need to be be clear to give an un-obstructed view of the magazine. I got a scroll saw for Christmas 2021 so I had a go at cutting a prototype for the stand myself to check the fit before spending money. To say that it's a lot harder than you think is an understatement because unless the blade goes quite slowly the plastic melts and seals iteself behind the blade as it passes through so you get to the end of your cut and the sheet is still in one piece but just really messed up, like a badly ploughed field. I went back and had another go with a hand-held 'coping' saw;

At this point I rotated the design 180 degrees so the 'open' ends of the design are at the barrel-end and the front edge of the grip plate sits in the small cutout triangle at the 'base' of the 8. This works well, keeps the gun nicely centred and I can adjust the overall size down a bit and still have room for the clear upright to emerge ‘above’ the 8. This first hand-made prototype still wasn't quite what I had hoped for. The scale seems to have crept up again against my paper template (not sure why, maybe I forgot to save after changing it) so the proportions were still off in comparison to the actual gun.

IMG_7628.jpeg

IMG_7629.jpeg

IMG_7630.jpeg

IMG_7631.jpeg

Last edited:
Continued…

I had a busy second half of 2022/start of 2023 so the whole project was on hold but In March this year the new file was sent off to a commercial laser-cutting business for a quote and at this point it all went a bit sideways as the price came back as £90 plus VAT (£108) EACH! I was honestly expecting the costs to be about £20-30 per unit and since my collection currently includes twelve guns, with three more still in-build, it’s just nuts. The past 3 years has seen the global supply of acrylics used for pandemic spit-screens so prices are at a premium. I've been doing some research into laser-cutters and for this kind of job I would need a CO2 laser of 40 watts or more and this kind of machine costs £1,000 - £3,000. As I'm a self-employed artist that's a huge investment for me so I've been saving up for the past six months (and selling off some of my Blade Runner prop collection) and about a month ago I finally ordered a 50watt CO2 cutter with an A3+ bed plus a small industrial water-chiller to keep the laser tube cool and a fume extractor so I don't have to cut any more holes in the wall of my workshop for exhausts. Now it's finally going to be possible to make the stands (and other Blade Runner related things) Myself.

IMG_7632.jpeg

The set-up and learning curve work has been done this past couple of weeks on scrap acrylic from some old shop-display units so when I'm ready to make my designs I can order sensible amounts of sheet material and make-to-order for an even cashflow on consumables. I’m definitely going to need to upgrade my exhaust fan & fume filters as acrylic STINKS when it’s cut and I couldn’t remain in the workshop with these fumes in the room, even with a mask on. The whole shed reeks of burning plastic now and it’s lingering.

Here’s the latest prototype, put through the machine on some scrap clear and translucent red. Obviously I will use opaque black, red and yellow for the finished pieces.

IMG_7633.jpeg

IMG_7634.jpeg

IMG_7635.jpeg

I modified the stem to reduce the height of the front as it was a little ‘barrel-up’.

2023-10-30 16.29.27.jpeg

As a separate issue if anyone knows how to join clear sheets without the glue showing I would be really grateful. Superglue makes a misty mess as you can see.

I will work out part-quantities-per-sheet by tessellating my component designs onto A3 for the acrylic and create my first batch. Then I will calculate my costs and put a price here for anyone who's interested. Thanks for reading all my long-winded description. D.

Last edited:
You need to use an acrylic bonder to join parts seamlessly. Weld-on 3 is one example. It requires some precautions, so be careful with it. It also works best if you can eliminate all bubbles.

I got my first batch of acrylic sheet and I’m really happy with the colour matching. I also got a syringe full of Trichloromethane to glue the components together and that stuff is fun in a confined space.

2023-11-04 13.24.41-1.jpg

2023-11-04 16.38.43-1.jpg

2023-11-05 11.29.20.jpg
2023-11-05 11.29.49.jpg

2023-11-05 11.29.31.jpg
2023-11-05 11.29.39.jpg

Last edited:
The clear Tomenosuke acrylic stands, which seem to be out of production at the moment, were available for £70 plus delivery in the UK;

Screenshot 2023-11-05 121907.png

I am able to offer my stands, cut in four colours of acrylic (actually genuine, branded, Perspex and not generic cast acrylic) and fully assembled (just the barrel support stem to insert) with clear rubber dot feet for the same price. I'm sure you'll agree that’s a much better item for the money. I've even designed custom boxes and labels for them just to make the buying experience that bit more special.
Boxes should be here at the end of this week so I can make up this first batch and they will be ready to send out at the beginning of next week.

Last edited:
Both guns I have demonstrated in these videos are from Tomenosuke (an OG pre-built and a '2049' kit) but I also have a Sidkit Worldcon and a metal TipTop/Anders gun almost finished so I will be able to adjust the barrel-support to accommodate all three variants of hero gun.

Since I’m ready to make stands to order I have changed the status of this thread to 'unlimited run' because I have the laser and my original digital assets and I can get acrylic as required. Thanks. D.

Last edited:
Darn, now I actually have to build my blaster! LoL

On a more serious note: open a window and turn on a fan when working with the monomer. It is not at all good to inhale. An exhaust fan in the window would be a really good idea.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back