Interest Blade Runner ID Card from Earl Hays Press

So do I take it from the radio silence that all of our badges have been made with the backing still attached and are therefore not quite as completely screen accurate as we had all hoped. Still happy to have mine but it will be a shame if this opportunity to produce a completely accurate replica has been slightly missed.
I think so yes.

I think so yes.
Based upon this shared photo, they know for sure and are just avoiding addressing it.
IMG_6022.jpeg

Yikes... I suppose at least lamination isnt permanent and you could disassemble and relaminate it.

Yikes... I suppose at least lamination isnt permanent and you could disassemble and relaminate it.
Well, i'm not so sure the laminate isnt stuck to the paper to be honest. Mine has already peeled in the corners of it's own accord hence why I took the above photo.

Has anyone had any experience successfully heating up a laminated paper item without wrecking it?

Well, i'm not so sure the laminate isnt stuck to the paper to be honest. Mine has already peeled in the corners of it's own accord hence why I took the above photo.

Has anyone had any experience successfully heating up a laminated paper item without wrecking it?

I can proudly proclaim that I have destroyed every laminated item that I have tried to peel apart, using a heat gun.

I wonder if surgically cutting it out without heat is possible.

Yikes. I haven’t even received mine yet. This is a major let down. Ugh. I’ve never handled amberlith but I’ve spent enough time on here and propsummit to know it’s on an adhesive roll. Super disappointing.

The correct thing to do it’s to fix this. Those that want a replacement maybe send the original back. You'd think, right at $250/badge?

If it were my run, that’s what I’d do. The major expense for this replica is time. The materials aren’t worth much of anything really.

Curious to see how this will be handled.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean i'm not trying to be an arse by posting the pic I did; like others have said here i'm very grateful that both Earls Hayes and Props to History have made this happen. Just a shame it's a bit of an oversight at the price point.

Yeah I mean i'm not trying to be an arse by posting the pic I did; like others have said here i'm very grateful that both Earls Hayes and Props to History have made this happen. Just a shame it's a bit of an oversight at the price point.
No doubt. I agree. Grateful for what we got. Just disappointing knowing this could have been better. Especially at the price. It was a completely avoidable error. Doesn’t help that a prop replica makers whole point in what they do is to create something as close as possible to what was on screen, using the same process when possible,and doing the research so that can all happen. So of course that’s an expected reaction from die hard fans. I do think that a comment from Earl Hays would be expected and appreciated on the topic. I’m sure we’ll get one soon. I bet they’re also really disappointed. They did try really hard and it was super kind of them to even do this for us. Thanks for that!

Last edited:
The problem with replacing these is not the materials it's the time and labour as has been mentioned already making these using the original methods is labour and time intensive. Is it worth Earls Hays effort to re-do all of these and from an economic standpoint probably not or do they decide to settle for producing something that just missed the mark but could be deemed close enough for most and take a little criticism. As producing prop replicas is not their primary business I suspect it is not economic to provide replacements and this will probably have little to no effect on their reputation in their main stream business but it would be nice to get at least an acknowledgement that a mistake was made and go on from there.

While it
The problem with replacing these is not the materials it's the time and labour as has been mentioned already making these using the original methods is labour and time intensive. Is it worth Earls Hays effort to re-do all of these and from an economic standpoint probably not or do they decide to settle for producing something that just missed the mark but could be deemed close enough for most and take a little criticism. As producing prop replicas is not their primary business I suspect it is not economic to provide replacements and this will probably have little to no effect on their reputation in their main stream business but it would be nice to get at least an acknowledgement that a mistake was made and go on from there.
While that is true to a point, the fact is that this run was expected to be professional work from professionals who were making new originals, not just fan replicas.

Imagine ILM selling a run of lightsabers and getting the details wrong. There is no real difference here. Hence the disappointment.

I can't blame the collectors who were expecting something of a higher standard than fan made.

I don't disagree that as the Company that produced the originals we all expected these to be the exact duplicates of the movie used version but the fact of the matter is that Earls Hays is not ILM and there are economic considerations for them that might make it impossible to carry the cost of producing corrected badges for us all. If they were ILM no doubt they could but not a company the size of this.

To quote recent press on Earl Hays " The 2023 Writers Guild of America strike has threatened the future of the business; while the company typically works on around 100 productions simultaneously, during the strike this was reduced to just 2-3. Keith Hernandez (the owner) has auctioned some of the company's historic rental stock to avoid redundancies."

At the moment they have bigger concerns than this, unfortunately.

there are economic considerations for them that might make it impossible to carry the cost of producing corrected badges for us all. If they were ILM no doubt they could but not a company the size of this.

2023-11-16 09.08.17.jpg

The single sheet Keith is holding above contains 39 badges. EHP say they will stop making them at 'around' 150 so to fulfil this entire run they will only need to produce 4 sheets like this. If the badges on that sheet are for the RPF run it’s value is $7,800. If EHP sell 75 badges to RPF members at $200 each that’s $15,000. If they sell the remaining 75 pieces though their website at $240 each that’s another $18,000 so total income for a run of just four sheets like the one above is $33,000 and we have no guarantee they won't decide to just keep making them after the 150 mark has been reached.

When you’re making that kind of margin I think customers have every right to be extremely picky.

Last edited:
Also, we talk a lot here on the forum about recasters and the blight of people who produce work which is not theirs to sell.

EHP may own the physical wood and rubber printing blocks but let’s not forget that intelectual property rights and Copyright in that material was originally owned by Warner Brothers and the Blade Runner Partnership when they were asked to print the prop badges for the film. I believe ownership of those rights exist today with Alcon Entertainment (who acquired the Blade Runner copyrights to produce the sequel in 2017).

EHP are a printer and printers produce material for (and with the express permission of) the owners of the imagery in question. EHP did not create the imagery here, it was created by Blade Runner's Production Designer Tom Southwell, in the employ of Warner Brothers, so do EHP even have the rights/permission/licence to make and sell these?

At no point have I criticised anyone for being disappointed or picky about Earl Hays error. In fact I was the one who re-ignited the debate about this on this thread after no response had been received from them after this was pointed out. All I am saying is that to re-produce all of these is an additional cost which at a time when they are fighting off redundancies or closure is something they might not be able or willing to do. Please understand that I am as p####ed off as everyone else is about paying $200+ for a faulty badge, which is why I raised the question about their radio silence in the first place. I hope that they do re-run these and send replacements to everyone but the stark reality is we might just have to live with it.

Last edited:
At no point have I criticised anyone for being disappointed or picky about Earl Hays error. In fact I was the one who re-ignited the debate about this on this thread after no response had been received from them after this was pointed out. All I am saying is that to re-produce all of these is an additional cost which at a time when they are fighting off redundancies or closure is something they might not be able or willing to do. Please understand that I am as p####ed off as everyone else is about paying $200+ for a faulty badge, which is why I raised the question about their radio silence in the first place. I hope that they do re-run these and send replacements to everyone but the stark reality is we might just have to live with it.
Understood. My comments were not intended to be directed at anyone specifically. I am just frustrated by the whole business and now I've said my piece I will shut up.

Last edited:
To be very clear. I don’t think anyone is saying or implying anything malicious has taken place whatsoever. This was just an easily avoidable mistake. I think that’s the frustration. A lot of us here knew that amberlith had a removable backing. I think the real surprise is that EHP didn’t.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back