"Prop Culture" series on Disney+

Not absurd at all. It's their money, their property, and there are multiple reasons why they may not wish to publicly show them off like that.

1) It stops people from being able to replicate these things, then passing them off as genuine when they are not.

2) Their collecting is their personal hobby, and so they wish to keep their private lives, you know, private.

They are also under no obligation to show their private property to anyone, regardless of how much of their money they spent on those things. In fact how much they paid is entirely irrelevant really. To think otherwise, strikes me as a feeling of real entitlement.

You're new here, so clearly haven't been around long enough to know this, but quite a few members here own very rare film/tv props, that they don't show off here. Brandon owns the actual V2 saber prop and restricts how and when it has been publicly seen, as is his right. Of course other respected members have seen it, held it, and even measured it, but that was entirely up to Brandon.
Yeah man, sure. I guess a guy with a show about movie props who collects them wants to keep his hobby private. We’ve both got different perspectives on it I guess, I understand he is legally aloud to do that, and I’m not gonna like, campaign to change the law or something crazy like that, I’m just saying that if I had that kind of money and bought props as incredible as the ones he’s got, I would be taking detailed pictures and documenting it so people could see the work put into them and do what they want with them, because that’s what I would look for myself. I also hope that others would do the same, even if they don't have to. That’s all I’m saying.

You have to realize, there is a difference between being a collector and a maker. I haven't watched the show yet, but this guy has probably never built anything in his life, and if so, he probably has no interest in stuff like that.

You have to realize, there is a difference between being a collector and a maker. I haven't watched the show yet, but this guy has probably never built anything in his life, and if so, he probably has no interest in stuff like that.
On a podcast he talked about his first prop purchase was the toon gun from Roger Rabbit and he bought it thinking it was screen used. He later found out it was just a casting given out as a crew gift and he talked about how disappointed he was. He is not into this replica culture and he most likely isn’t wanting to help people create exact replicas that can cause future disappointment to other collectors if the replicas get passed off as real.

I don't know if Dan is a member here, but I spotted at least one RPFer in the show. Wonder how many others took part whether in front of or behind the scenes?

I used to be a member of the Movie Prop Forum back in the day before everything migrated to Facebook, and I can tell you that a large amount of pureley original prop collectors, are of the tell don't show variety. Why? Because providing details of props makes life very difficult for them. There's a whole mini-industry of scammers trying to pass off replicas as original - just look at Profiles In History. The more 'tells' that are revealed, the more difficult it is to tell a high end replica from an original.

It has to be said, also, that some of them regard replica collectors as a different species and can be kinda douchey about it.

Ultimateley though, it's none of our business what they choose to do with their collections. The sense of entitlement here is staggering.

I wonder what percentage of the rpf is maker/collector and what percentage is exclusively a collector.

Watched most of it, just the last two to go.
Enjoying it, and while I wish it had a little bit less emphasis on the "discovery" journeys and a little bit more about the props themselves, I realize it's never going to go to the level we here would prefer.

That Mary Poppins carousel horse (Mary's, not Bert's) has TOTALLY been repainted at some point. :lol:

I've been watching it today, and it's a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting. The format is a bit different than I imagined (in a good way), and I'm really pleased that so many of the prop makers, and artists that made the items in question are a part of it. It's almost as much a prop maker interview show, as it is a prop show. Which is much more enjoyable to me than just a parade of macguffins from the Disney archives.

Watched most of it, just the last two to go.
Enjoying it, and while I wish it had a little bit less emphasis on the "discovery" journeys and a little bit more about the props themselves, I realize it's never going to go to the level we here would prefer.

That Mary Poppins carousel horse (Mary's, not Bert's) has TOTALLY been repainted at some point. :lol:
Exactly, I wish they would focus more on the props and chain of ownership and different collectors rather than the history of the movies... but I still love it.

I wonder what percentage of the rpf is maker/collector and what percentage is exclusively a collector.
It's 37% maker, 82% collector.
Ron Burgundy TDMS.gif

The little fake "Ive got this guy at disney fixing this old prop for ME" schtick got old quick. Clearly these are people working for disney to restore things they own, he doesnt own them, and is just showing them off. But the implication that it's being done at his direction is weird...unless he works for or in the disney archive.

The little fake "Ive got this guy at disney fixing this old prop for ME" schtick got old quick. Clearly these are people working for disney to restore things they own, he doesnt own them, and is just showing them off. But the implication that it's being done at his direction is weird...unless he works for or in the disney archive.
Are you talking about Dan?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back