Products that were not intended to be used in model making but work anyway

Try looking up soda machine nozzles…sewing feet for landing gear….car air fresheners look like lower excelsior sensor domes…and their packages

Old rotary razor blades...
IMG_6156.JPG

Lift fans, turbine blades, vents, etc...

Forgot exactly which modeling forum I found this on, but credit goes to the original poster. Why pay for expensive "rust powders" when you can use...real rust? ;)

"I even use real rust on my models. I put some fine steel wool in a larger sized pill bottle and cover it with white vinegar. After about 3 to 4 weeks, after the steel wool is dissolved, I pour it out into a stainless steel photographic tray and wait for the vinegar to evaporate. After it is dry, I use a paint scraper (razor blade type) to scrape out the rust. I comes out as a fine powder which I apply to my models with some Elmer´s glue. After that dries and after weathering the model with a black wash I use the Model Masters flat, clear acrylic for the topcoat. I am quite amazed at how realistic I can make a plastic model look like a metal one. I have read many articles on weathering using paints to simulate the rust look, but nothing looks better than using actual iron oxide as my rusting agent."

Forgot exactly which modeling forum I found this on, but credit goes to the original poster. Why pay for expensive "rust powders" when you can use...real rust? ;)

"I even use real rust on my models. I put some fine steel wool in a larger sized pill bottle and cover it with white vinegar. After about 3 to 4 weeks, after the steel wool is dissolved, I pour it out into a stainless steel photographic tray and wait for the vinegar to evaporate. After it is dry, I use a paint scraper (razor blade type) to scrape out the rust. I comes out as a fine powder which I apply to my models with some Elmer´s glue. After that dries and after weathering the model with a black wash I use the Model Masters flat, clear acrylic for the topcoat. I am quite amazed at how realistic I can make a plastic model look like a metal one. I have read many articles on weathering using paints to simulate the rust look, but nothing looks better than using actual iron oxide as my rusting agent."
Don't know if this is the same source but here's a video of the technique and results.

Heres a few. Like these Christmas balls that I had gotten for the domes on a star destroyer, that I ended up not liking anyways.
So when I made this ship from the game, Wipeout, I used the top hanging part as engine detail.
Then I found that this red round lego part, with some paper added fit nicely into this little tube. It became the main thruster.

wipeoutparts.jpg

And speaking of thrusters, these water bottle tops fit perfectly into this pvc pipe and became detail for my Starcraft battlecruiser.

Battlecrusierthrusterinside.jpg

Colored sawdust, medium to very fine and dyed with various greens and yellows or left natural makes great grass/dirt texture

Some types of lichen like Wolf and Letharia make for great bushes and trees or sniper figure brush camo.

Course sand paper cut into small rectangles makes good miniature asphalt shingles.
Big pieces for paved road bed. Tear it and you have a road crack.

Fine sand paper makes for good non-slip surface texture

Rubber cement saturated paper makes for great miniature hinges

Springs from ball point pens make great shock absorbers that have a bit of actual functionality.

Support material structures from 3D prints make great interior structure looking parts. Grid is especially nice.

3D print outline skirts make great raised surface detailing lines and shapes.

Tinfoil makes great simulated metal skin on all kinds of things.

Cheap makeup creates great weathering effects and comes with an applicator brush.

I want to weather/dirty some soft parts of a costume NON-PERMANENTLY. I know about "Dirty-Down" from the UK but I can't get it (or at least I can't find it) here in the USA.

Can you guys share your washable weathering techniques; or divulge your source for the Dirty-Down here in the USA?

Thanks!

Heres a few. Like these Christmas balls that I had gotten for the domes on a star destroyer, that I ended up not liking anyways.
So when I made this ship from the game, Wipeout, I used the top hanging part as engine detail.
Then I found that this red round lego part, with some paper added fit nicely into this little tube. It became the main thruster.

View attachment 1474362

And speaking of thrusters, these water bottle tops fit perfectly into this pvc pipe and became detail for my Starcraft battlecruiser.

View attachment 1474363
Elmer glue tips can be pulled off and re-inserted to make chemical nozzles

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back