Super Long long week for both work and everything else....been trying to keep up best I can with all that comes my way, both car related, family and construction work. Haven't slept as much but I am wanting to complete this build WAYYYYY sooner than November....lol

So here is where I am at......(Dan is literally kicking my ass as his Don West build is flowing ever so nicely....can only wish I could see it in person someday!!!)

20210830_052119.jpg

So the belt is getting ripped apart....anything not needed will go bye bye and the rest will be modified to be as close to the show as I can get it.
20210830_052125.jpg

I decided the best route is to use the inside instead of the outside (first pic) seems inside resembles the look of the L.I.S. show more!

20210830_073520.jpg

So off the pieces go and now the outside is inside and inside is outside......lol

Next came the never ending pieces that are attached all over. Unfortunately unlike Dan on his Don West, we here in old Iowa (lol) dont have all of the resources readily available. I absolutely HATE ordering online as I am more in tune with tangible items.....so whatever fabrics I couldn't find I just replicated with puff paint. ANY and I MEAN any super ungodly amounts of sewing (such as more of the belts that hard orange lines) got puffed painted and to be honest ended up working out. I wish I was able to have vast amounts of time to sew but I don't. I wake up at 330 to 400 am each day and work on this costume until 6 or 630 before going to work. I am fully invested in this and dont want to fall behind.

The sewing wasn't perfect by any means....I have wayyyy more to learn BUT I am wayyyy more comfortable with it since the $200 dollar jacket....lol
20210902_074922.jpg

20210903_064154.jpg

I wasn't about to fork out more money for the AustrialPins so I made my own....lol
20210903_104409.jpg

I wish I could of picked up on the sewing A LOT sooner but I have to work with what I know thus far.....I figured the rest I can sorta wing it with paints and make it all come together in the end.
20210903_171900.jpg

I had to make the template out of construction paper I had to snatch from my 2 year old....sorry Eva.....and had to through something quick before Charlie had to go to bed for school next morning. It still worked out as I could at least get a measurement based on what I did (she stood still for 10 min...LMAO yikes)

20210909_061549.jpg

Allllll this week I just kept pushing forward.....I couldn't stop, I wouldn't Stop and I didn't want to give up.....Every puzzle piece kept falling into place.

20210911_222908.jpg

If I could sew it.....i did....if I couldn't I used the paint and no details were left behind.

20210911_235421.jpg

I got sooooo heavy into it that last night @ 1am I was fully done with the entire belt. The fabric that trims the out edges was not found around here...I am a stubborn old man (44 as of Sept. 10th....lol) and well I didn't want to deal with online purchases unless I saw the fabric....SOOOOO next best thing....yup you guessed it, PUFF PAINT!!! I lost count at around 200 dots....1 a.m. was when i did last dot.

Finally outcome at least made me smile.....not the 1,000% I wanted but at least to me a close 75%!!! lol
20210912_175206.jpg

20210912_175219.jpg

20210912_175252.jpg

So finally got this one out of the way.....1 more thing......

The one more thing you ask is the last piece of the puzzle to finish this all before my December 10th deadline.

THe infamous pants!!!

20210912_140615.jpg

So to start, I have to of course reverse the entire thing.....I ended up undoing inside and outside seems on the pants. The idea is simple.....now I have rectangles I can easily add fabrics to AND still be able to sew it all shut and have it all be secured properly. WAYYYYYY easier to do this all on a $3-5 dollar Goodwill pair of pants then the $200 dollar jacket I took apart.

In between it all I practiced more on pieces needed......so far I was a little impressed about this one!! Goes on back of pants above buttocks
20210912_105516.jpg

I didn't grab finished portion of this BUT once on pants it should show how well it turned out.

8:05pm now and I am BEAT, pants got all taken apart and awaiting my "sewing skills"....lmao
20210912_165544.jpg

Goodnight.....gotta get up tomorrow at 4am again to see what the heck I can do.........WISH ME LUCK!!!

Well its been quite the interesting couple of weeks. As per usual of course have been beyond busy at work and have been trying my hardest to get as much as I can done. So for starters the pants were quite the pain in the ass as I had to reverse all and undo the already factory sewn edges. My plan was to basically make each piece its own and thus when done have it all come together as one.
Each day that has passed since I last posted has been dedicated to this costume getting done and although I have what seems to have plenty of time, I do not. Every day as mentioned I have been getting up at 4am no matter what....my brain is determined to get this done no matter what. So each day I make sure I worked on the little **** that would make all come together as one!

20210914_051404.jpg

I started out with any and all pieces towards front and back of pants that would eventually take time.

20210914_051947.jpg

My sewing skills are slowly but surely getting a bit better....if I didnt have to rush through it all I would likely get it down perfectly......but for now, I t does help to finally be able to sew stuff without being so apprehensive.
20210917_064415.jpg

This one is for the back of the leg (knee area) figured stitching it now would help not having to wait last minute.

20210917_153009.jpg

Began gluing all the stuff and sewing it all...figured since she would be moving pants 100% more they would benefit from the extra strength of it all and make it to where nothing falls apart.

20210917_153103.jpg

20210917_153217.jpg

20210917_153121.jpg

20210921_071022.jpg

all is starting to finally come together and my excitement level is through the roof! lol I decided once done to test fit.....i"m beyond scared at this point because she is still growing and there is nothing i can do but to adapt!

20210920_180609.jpg

20210920_180713.jpg

Once I knew I was good I just kept going......work being beyond brutal BUT I know my deadline for all is near....so I have to keep on moving forward! So i began soon after the knee area....reused the old pants that wouldn't fit and repurposed them!

20210924_045401.jpg

20210924_170403.jpg

20210924_170353.jpg

20210926_064111.jpg

20210926_091442.jpg

Once I got those out of the way i knew I was even closer to being done....except I Knew I had one more thing to do (before touch ups and color corrections). So I went ahead and was soooooo excited I had to try to make sure all was still good....so I had her try it all one and pose, the pics bellow were prior to me finishing the knee area.....so i'll post pics with ALL done later on.

20210923_195448.jpg

Charlie holding her book.....

20210923_195852.jpg

20210923_195919.jpg

After all was done and painted....I began on my last piece (unfortunately I won't be able to do helmet like I wanted....just too much research to be done and not enough time to get it done.) My last puzzle piece is what will hold the pants up AND also part of the original costume...so at least i'll be happy BUT its one of those pieces that won't be seen unless we take her suit and jacket off at some point!

I began by doing a super quick sketch on construction paper just to get a quick outline of what it'll end up looking like...size wise. I then began looking for fabric to make a match....unfortunately I couldn't find exact match....so like before I said screw it....I'll make my own ****! lol
That also included the "metal" piece that hold the belt on back.....the Don Wes belt closely resembles what I need to do. Sorry for the blurry pic....had to grab that from a tv screenshot...lol
20210925_163211.jpg

here is the mock up for it by doing a decal then putting on a piece of EVA sheet.......will reinforce once all belts are together.
20210928_052014.jpg

the end result.....
20210928_054924.jpg

Here is the original look....
Screenshot_20210323-151445_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210425-152210_Instagram.jpg

So I went to JoAnn fabrics and grabbed what I could get closer to what I need....including fabric that at least closely resembles what is shown above.

For now this is where I am currently.....will update once everything is together and will have final pics of all.....POSSIBLY professional grade since my buddy Nick Clausen might be taking them....he is beyond awesome!

20210929_045840.jpg

End result worked out just fine and i'll be more than happy to be done!!! Will have as mentioned touch ups AND will be redoing some switches for easier access.

20210929_052041.jpg

In all I am happy to almost be done with it and as far as I have gotten.....it has been a LOOOOONNNGGGGG time trying to battle this and every little curve ball it ha thrown at me. I know my little Charlie will look back at this all and se that no matter how impossible things are in life you can persevere through as long as you put any and all effort into it. I love the fact that she will hopefully be able to look back on this site and know that Daddy loves her with all his heart and thus why he wants to make this suit happen....a memory carved into the airwaves for her to look back on!

I am indeed excited to get this viewed by whomever come December 10-12 in Chicago.......I will be feeding off everyones good or bad comments/vibes and will have the greatest feeling of accomplishment I could ever expect!!!! Thank you all at the RPF for having a site for us all to be in and showcase our small or great skills. This is all beyond awesome to be a part of......

Attachments

• 20210923_195438.jpg
    20210923_195438.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • 20210917_153121.jpg
    20210917_153121.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Dude, you're going to win Dad of the Year. Outstanding costume!
lmao i honestly wasn't going for that but if the award is out there for the taking I would be beyond Honored. My daughter is beyond excited...wanted to even try to use it for halloween costume but i had to intervene....lol. instead she will be going as Winifred Sanderson fro. Hocus Pocus...another readhead!! lmao

I appreciate your comment though...seems everytime i show this to someone they have said the same thing.....lol I love art, i love our pop culture and I absolutely adore anything science fiction, technology and everyones skill sets they posses out there.

Last edited:
All the hard work and long hours show --- very well done
beyond that the bonding time and memories created will last forever
seems like you blink and they are a year older a foot taller and asking for the car keys :)

keep up the great work and have a wonderful day

All the hard work and long hours show --- very well done
beyond that the bonding time and memories created will last forever
seems like you blink and they are a year older a foot taller and asking for the car keys :)

keep up the great work and have a wonderful day
You ain't kiddin'!! Those have been my intentions since day one from the very first time we dressed her as Merida from Brave until now. I may need to post a few of her costumes within this so I don't clutter the site....lol
But you couldn't of said it best.....I am beyond astonished at the rapid growth and since day 1 of this suit build I've been battling it. It'll be bitter sweet as I will be able to see her wear it, people will hopefully like it and share it and my only absolute reward will be to see her on a simple google search as Penny Robinson, before she can no longer fit into it .
That has already happened too via this site and hopefully C2E2 will bring it all full circle. Like i told my wife and other kids....I will be ecstatic to just hear peoples reactions as we walk around. That feeling of greatness after accomplishing something like this will likely put me in tears....lol
Good thing is I still have my 2 year old yet to torture with costuming AND 3 (soon to be 4) grandkids, looks like Grandpa may have more trat subjects to torture.....lmao ha ha ha

I can truly say that I am beyond relieved as I am at what I would say is 97% completed. The pants are done all the way and I am beyond happy with how all turned out and how I was able to solve minor problems. As mentioned before I still need to keep at the sewing game so that I can adapt to more situations when they appear. It is funny still to me that the biggest fear has turned into something kinda fun and cool all in one, to the point I'm already being asked by family members if I can help sew stuff for them together....lol

So now for the 97%. the other 3% deals with touch up painting and adding more patina to the mix, I want this to look as if it JUST came out of an action packed scene from the show.....lol The shoulder straps took sometime to figure out but once I got the first one out of the way, it was super easy to do the other one.
20210930_164241.jpg

Pants also got outfitted with the clips and the greatest feeling of accomplishment set in.....I was excited to the point I had to run to Target JUST so I could find a gray shirt for her to wear.

20211002_184944.jpg
20211002_185005.jpg

The Target shirt was a success....OR SO I THOUGHT....until she put it on. I instantly noticed the shirt was perfect except the length, it was wayyyy too long and in my excitement I hadn't noticed it when I purchased it. So easy fix was to have her wear it inside out , pin it to proper length and sew it. It was beyond cool to get that done in just under 15 minutes and even my daughter was impressed at how fast I got it done.
The end result was just awesome and everything fit spot on!!!!!!

20211003_185440.jpg
20211003_185428.jpg

I had also noticed one of the other issues she was having was getting the pants on, originally these were stretch pants. The stretchy part though ended up getting a bit stiffer as there were non stretchy fabrics now attached. So my next problem was simple to fix.....Add a zipper to the front......You can almost see it on above pics, I blended it in with the middle pieces I had previously sewn in. She was just as excited to try it as I was and thus why she has a HUGE smile on pic...lol

So now came the TRUE test of all tests for both myself and her.....the put everything on test....lol She tried on every piece, we weighed her before and after and I was impressed at how strong my little girl is....the costume weighs in at exactly 18lbs. so shes gonna be one strong cookie!!! lol

We tried every scenario from a mock up " I HAVE TO GO PEE" test, a longevity test (making sure she can wear for awhile until we have to take layers off, to a heat in suit test......making sure I ask her when I think she is miserable a simple "scale 1-10" so I can gauge if I need to give her some major or minor breaks. She was able to withstand a few of them without issues and she thinks she can do better once we are at the convention, mainly because she will be distracted by what I can only hope will be a lot of people giving her compliments!!

For now I will be working on getting touch ups done, a minor electrical switch-a-roo on the switches....lol (moving them to a better location for ease of turning on/off and my daughter in law Daisy is training herself on hair and makeup (which makeup is minor but hair is being perfected until day of).

20211003_190819.jpg
20211003_190848.jpg

Until then you may not see posts UNTIL December 10th-12th.....I still have to write up stuff for the competition I will enter her in AND take some professional pics. I want this thing to be as memorable for her as it has been for me from last year til now. All I can say is I breathe/live/love Lost in Space....I am ecstatic about the 3rd and last Season and just eager for us both to watch it, I listen to all of the music scores that were done for it....All i see is my little one walking around as Penny Robinson in my head.
It has been one hell of a roller coaster ride and I am soooo happy with the outcome....I only want for her to be in the competition so she can have that to take in and enjoy. I want people to both admire her and for me to hear what people have to say about my work.

.........It is like a drug to me that feeds my inner child and allows me to continue these artful adventures and the excitement it brings me makes me hungry for more!!!

Last edited:
love it , the new pics are great ---- the season 3 trailer teaser is out ( dec 1st date )

have a great week.............:)
thank you as always kind sir and yeah watched the trailer the second it came out....lol My wife had been checking on it and soon as it dropped I got the message....lol
Thanks again and hope next time I get on here to update everything with the awesome pics.

Yep, that drug feeding your inner child is the same brand as mine:p She's looking very good and I don't think she can be beaten.(y)(y)

Well, just found out Friday after opening my email that I cannot enter my little one into the competition. Am a bit sad but as they say the show must go on.....seems there was a part of the rules I completely did not see (so my fault) where it states 60% of the costume must be done by person entering the contest.
Soooooo, next step is to enter her into the simple Juniors show which isn't a contest but more of just kids showing off their costumes. I was a bit disappointed at first but honestly all i wanted was to showcase the costume and gather as much exposure for my little one as possible (that 15 min of fame for her).
I will still be beyond excited to show everyone what I managed to accomplish and in the end this was still and has always been about my little Charlie Jean. I want her to be able to look back and know that all is possible if you just try your hardest.

I will still try getting some shots when i get a chance just so i have them and can print. I'll post all I get done between now and on day of C2E2.

thanks again to every one of you all whom took the time to cheer me on.....this was and will always be one of the best experiences of both my life and my daughters.

Yes, hard work and plenty of effort will lead to success! Good lesson for your daughter (and to others as well) Eager to see what`s next(y)

Well well well, seems I've been slackin' BUT for a good reason. I will update this thread after this weekend. Today and this weekend we will be a bit busy here at C2E2 in Chicago and having to meet Maxwell Jenkins (Will Robinson) tomorrow.

Beyond excited this came full circle....won't get to meet Mina in person but I do get to have my little Charlie meet her TV Brother!!! lol Beyond thankful this came together for us all.

Pics are a must of course and good for her meeting her TV brother(y)(y):cool::cool:
Well well well, seems I've been slackin' BUT for a good reason. I will update this thread after this weekend. Today and this weekend we will be a bit busy here at C2E2 in Chicago and having to meet Maxwell Jenkins (Will Robinson) tomorrow.

Beyond excited this came full circle....won't get to meet Mina in person but I do get to have my little Charlie meet her TV Brother!!! lol Beyond thankful this came together for us all

Pics are a must of course and good for her meeting her TV brother(y)(y):cool::cool:
As per your request....let the pics begin!!! lol Will explain a bit of them as I go.

So for starters Friday was truly the test of a lifetime for me.....what I would of called the STRESS TEST!! lol Prior to even leaving Iowa we had some issues with reserving parking for event, everyone a few weeks back began getting sick, Reedpop whom put together C2E2 threw in a bunch of Covid parameters we were not aware of and switched some last minute. My wife Ann (now dubbed Maureen Robinson) began assessing the problem and finding solutions to them all, so she did an amazing job handling all ahead of the storm and thus made for a smooth drive with no worries. We got to Chicago around 10:45am and that's when the STRESS TEST began. First thing on the list....parking reservation showed 0.6 mile to the show (no big deal) but when we looked it up again once there it showed 3.9 mile walk:oops::oops:. Now we are also literally LOST in Space as we could not find the parking area that was reserved AND had now been circling around for 35 min. We finally figured out the spot to head to and once there the lady at the parking gate was beyond awesome and helpful.....it truly WAS only .6 miles AND we could take a free bus if we chose to not walk. Now, that day it was 29 degrees out, our hotel wasn't due for check in until 3pm, our van rental packed to the teeth and 6 of us crammed in there like sardines AND WE STILL had to get Charlie Dressed up for the event........MORE STRESS!!! LOL
So besides those issues I trucked on and we managed to get her fully dressed inside van and out (mind you its 29 degrees and its a sleepy/tired 11 year old). I managed to get her stuff on and once jacket was on all I had left was the hard outer shells to put on.....that is UNTIL my anxiety went through the ROOF!!!! She went to get inside van and as she pulled herself in the unthinkable happened, the one thing I had prepared for that totally failed on me without notice. A seam on the right arm just above the elbow decided it would be time to LET GO and it DID!!!!!:mad:o_O

I could NOT believe after we gone through already that now I had a failed area on costume!! like WTH...lol Well, my anxiety through the roof still I managed to get my **** together and move forward. I had taken some items with us in case such a thing happened but the seam was one that would move a lot and it just wasn't enough. I used some contact cement which held for a bit but mainly told Charlie to keep her arm straight if taking pictures, that I would fix it in the hotel once we were gone. I tried reassuring her all would be alright but her little angel face looked so sad I couldn't even think. Well, we finally managed to get into the building and after yet another anxiety panic attack (I was shaking like a leaf) we got everything left to put on, turned on the backpack speakers and stepped in. I still couldn't relax, as the fear of the seam coming completely out and allowing her entire arm piece to come off was constantly in my head like a migraine headache!! What was I supposed to do, our now dream of meeting Maxwell in person was going to be ruined by one unseen fault. Well, the truth is my wife was the healing hand in all this.......my head spinning and trying to find a solution I would be walking aimlessly around without a clue as to how to fix. Seems that as we walked around my wife happened to have noticed a booth that I hadn't seen....A COSPLAY REPAIR BOOTH?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I quickly ran over to it and asked and the gentleman quickly said, what can we help you repair fellow cosplayer!! OMG I was in heaven and not only that I could use whatever needed and it was all FREE!!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:D:D:D I managed to only glue in one part of it as I was still shaking....but this was it, my ticket to fixing the costume prior to Saturday's meeting!!! MY anxiety was gone and so were the hours we spent there. I was exhausted, I was beaten but my spirit still high knowing the next day could potentially bring more light to my dark hour.

So we decided to take off and call it a day...Charlie was tired and the 18lbs. of suit was bearing down on her little body.....plus we were all just dead...lol So we decided to leave around 7pm....BOOM, RAIN....and not just little drizzles....more like downpour!! This day of torment would not end....we finally managed to get out and get her costume off, got in the bus and finally made it back to the rental. Cold, tired and now also starving we decided to hurry and get to our hotel to check in. We did and afterwards decided to get dinner, which was another small disaster as we couldn't find anywhere to park and took almost an hour until we found something. We took it to our hotel room and I finally got a chance to sit down, relax and ponder the next day. It was time to sleep and BOY did we need it!!
20211210_120907.jpg
20211210_123116.jpg
20211210_151215.jpg

My cosplay Repair SAVIORS!!!!
20211211_163637.jpg
Screenshot_20211210-201646_Facebook.jpg
20211210_181334.jpg
20211210_181348.jpg

20211210_201611.jpg

20211211_071734.jpg

An exhausting Friday FOR SURE!!!

Well, Day 2 came upon us....we were now well rested, no anxiety as I had everything planned out ahead (first thing was to hit up the Repair Booth!!! lol) and then see how the day went. I was sooooo excited because we knew what to expect ahead and what was more amazing once we got there was how packed it was. The show floor was filled with a lot more cosplays, happy crowds wanting to buy anything in front of them and tons of excitement as the autograph booths and picture ops were gonna be incredible. I didn't get pics of the show floor Saturday but here is Fridays.
20211210_134652.jpg
20211210_134654.jpg

You could barely see the floor Saturday....LOL

and now for the photos with characters!
20211210_133313.jpg

She HAD to get a pic with her as she is a big time SIMS fan.....this sim was starving, as we were all in same situation!!!LOL

20211210_143639.jpg

We also had to get a pic with black widow as it was one of Charlies costume a couple years ago. We did Black widow 1.0 and 2.0 with light up mods!!

20211210_153446.jpg

He was happy to see so much Orange and Charlie was excited because of how he made his flames!!! LOL

20211210_153640.jpg

Mom was obsessed with Blade so of course she had to have her pose with him!!! lol

20211210_150624.jpg

This was a beautiful back drop and I knew I could edit it on photoshop to look even better. The picture came out perfect!!

20211211_131114.jpg

A unique take of Elsa when she lets it all go!! lmao That's my daughter for ya....she saw this and NEEDED to take a pic with "her"!

20211211_124034.jpg

She found out that was NOT her FATHER!!! lol

20211210_150006.jpg

I had to snap pics of this because you know its SERIOUS when they have to bring in the Captain to fix R2D2!! I probably laughed for 10 minutes and also felt bad because the previous day I was in his shoes. Seems he had a battery issue with R2! He fixed it though and we were happy to see him around the show floor.

20211210_151223.jpg

She just HAD to take one with this old man.....so happy with how it all turned out and how great it looked in pictures etc. You can almost tell how exited I was....I had been smiling all day long!

20211210_132630.jpg
20211210_132554.jpg

This booth by MINIKIN was awesome for sure....I ended up buying 2 of their 9" figures. She got scanned for FREE and I will post the finished product once they get everything set. It was awesome hearing from the Kent (the owner) via email as he told us some great stuff he overheard from a certain individual. Ill post more as this thread progresses.

20211211_123812.jpg

Dont know if you can tell but the theme for me was Space or Space suits or robots or just overall fans of pop culture we love.

20211211_124127.jpg

Very nice couple cosplaying together for the event........always nice to see people doing things together.

20211211_130712.jpg

Very nicely executed for sure.....would hate to see how long it takes to take that off...lol

20211211_131208.jpg

BEYOND wordless when I saw these 2 ladies......Attention to detail was amazing!!! REALLY loved these 2 and I wish I had more time to talk to them. INCREDIBLE!!

20211211_132347.jpg

This one took 1st place at the show.......It was just huge and just badass!!

20211211_132134.jpg

and my all time favorite pic....family is everything to me and this picture of us together was the ultimate!!!!

20211211_141908.jpg

My childhood all in one....Lost in Space meets the Ghostbusters. These guys all had their **** together for sure....not pictured was Dana and Zeul!! It was great to see them all together.
20211211_140633.jpg

20211211_164742.jpg

and yes I am also a star wars fan.....just like Back to the Future and every iconic movie made. Huge fan of everything movies really!!

20211211_132551.jpg

Like I said HUGE FAN of old and new....movies or cartoons!!

20211211_142500.jpg

A normal and much nicer Elsa with my little Eva.....lol

20211211_132152.jpg

Last but not least the shot she wanted to take since she saw the first C2E2 video on youtube.....she was HAPPY.....but the defining moment came soon after that shot.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back