So I decided since everyone in here got to see the suit to try to post it on my Instagram account. Well, much to my surprise I am being bombarded by praise (which is as mentioned so humbling) and then Ignacio (Don West), Maxwell (Will Robinson), Zack (Executive Producer) and the one and only Mina (Penny Robinson) all liked it And both Mina and Zack commented on it all so now my account is going nuts....lol Mina put it on her video feed and it warmed my heart to see my little girl up there!!

My daughter is beyond happily excited to see all of this and My wife quickly started posting it on her Facebook too...lol....and I am just a super happy dad right now!!

Screenshot_20210323-141600_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210323-143226_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210323-153031_Instagram.jpg

Thank you so much..... I think I can say I've been complimented by the Master. That movie has been one for me to adore from day one. I saw awhile back the video of Adam Savage getting suit in hand to take apart and replicate and couldn't believe it. I was in love with the suit and knowing the same company was used for the Robinsons series was like icing on the cake. Just from the picture I just saw on your thread I cannot express to you how super awesome that looks....WOW factor to the limit!
All Adam's videos featuring FBFX's suits are fantastic. I've watched the ones featuring their Alien: Covenant suits about a million times.

So I managed to somehow squeeze in a little bit of an update (in between ALLLLL of my car work...stressful to say the least) lol. I started using the Eva foam back to get the boots closer to being finished. The results aren't bad and I'll need to go back through it to smooth out more areas. I went ahead and got both setup with the Eva foam and pined them, then after looking at it I figured i'd start forming/testing at least one of them so I would know what i'm getting into....lol
20210326_105549.jpg

The result actually wasn't too bad and the finished product will be wayyy smoother once I go through it as mentioned and then apply my automotive undercoating. The undercoating should fill in any left over imperfections missed and make them look as one unit. I wish I could have done the fabric in exact manner as what the show did but I am unfortunately always pressed for time. I honestly just want to be able to get it done ASAP before she has a growth spurt. Don't want to find out she can't fit it at all and end up not getting a chance to capture some pics. I have a few photographer car buddies in mind that would want to make this as the kids say EPIC!! lol
20210326_105623.jpg

I have more car work to get through these next few days and April 5th I'll be back to our construction job. Hopefully I can still have some time to keep adding things to my "Finished" list!!

Until then please stay tuned.....lol

Last edited:
Hello again, well I got some time in between construction work and vehicle installs to FINALLY get these damn boots done!! Bellow is a small bit of the process and finished product. It is currently 9:52pm (central time) and I JUST got the bottom of the boots all sprayed....so just need drying time and it'll all be smooth as silk!
20210412_123807.jpg
20210412_154004.jpg
20210412_154012.jpg

So after a little bit of battle and a TON of cutting the Eva foam (all was done in 2 pieces per boot) they didn't turn out too bad. I can now Scratch these off my list and keep moving forward towards other items. All I have left now is the suit itself AND the gloves which will be yet another set of hurdles to overcome. All in all the only thing I can honestly say I am most worried about is my little Charlie growing between now and when all is done....HOPE I can make it all happen in time!! lol
20210412_214645.jpg

This is fantastic work! I am an engineer who works with spacesuits at NASA. I fell in love with these suits, because they incorporate some of the things that we are working on for our next NASA spacesuit. I'm working on a John Robinson, but I haven't moved out of the planning phase. BTW, I tried dying white polyester mesh with the RIT synthetic navy, and it came out light blue. What is your technique?

This is fantastic work! I am an engineer who works with spacesuits at NASA. I fell in love with these suits, because they incorporate some of the things that we are working on for our next NASA spacesuit. I'm working on a John Robinson, but I haven't moved out of the planning phase. BTW, I tried dying white polyester mesh with the RIT synthetic navy, and it came out light blue. What is your technique?
Well I am but truly HONORED to have you gaze upon my thread then.....i lived in Florida for 13 years and lived/breathed NASA everything....always makes me feel like a kid again when I get to see anyrhing relating to them.....it is super cool to have you here AND to know you're wanting to accomplish the John Robinson suit (does that mean NASA will "accidently" be missing some suits? lol) ha ha Now, to answer your question it is VERY simple. With the synthetic dye you habe to of course heat water and maintain at 200 degrees (or closests to that while not allowing water to boil all crazy). I would suggest depending on how dark you want to have it be to use 2 bottles at the most, that is what i used and got it fairly dark and don't forget 1 teaspoon of liquid soap detergent. The longer you keep that fabric in the solution the better as well....approximately 30 min to an hour and always try moving it around too. Once done I pour out onto sink and using hot water start removing excess dye until water runs clear. After that just throw it in the wash with an old towel and dry it. When wet though itll look pretty dark and once washed and dried, the color should be the end result. I recently started dying the gloves I purchased at Walmart (kids baseball section) and 2 bottles of the orange synthetic stuff almost turned a few areas red....lol Luckily they won't be seen but i was happy since the rest will help set the base for all the layers after! Hope this helps....and again thank you for the kind words and for doing what i believe is the coolest job on earth!

Last edited:
Thanks for the mesh dying technique. I probably should have used more dye. One bit of progress that I made is that I started building a 3d model for the wrist comm unit. I need to finish the model, print it, and outfit it with electronics to display information. I have way too many costume WIPs. :) I'm getting distracted with a Mandalorian armor at the moment.

I really like all of the markings and labeling on your suit. Did you do any of them digitally? For starters, I'm trying to identify the font group used.

Attachments

• LIS_wrist_comm.jpg
    LIS_wrist_comm.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for the mesh dying technique. I probably should have used more dye. One bit of progress that I made is that I started building a 3d model for the wrist comm unit. I need to finish the model, print it, and outfit it with electronics to display information. I have way too many costume WIPs. :) I'm getting distracted with a Mandalorian armor at the moment.

I really like all of the markings and labeling on your suit. Did you do any of them digitally? For starters, I'm trying to identify the font group used.
you're most welcome....I wish I would have been able to fully add a phone display to her wrist comm. I almost asked my buddy for his verizon mini phone whem i first started thinking about doing it....but i figured he wouldn't of goven it up...lol Unfortunately I had to rely on just the old print/cut/clear epoxy technique...lol As for the fonts I own a vinyl Plotter which i have used for many years for all my automotive decals in order to replicate logos, fonts and designs in general. What helped most was having access to thousands of fonts....what DIDNT help was having access to THOUSANDS of fonts....lol It just meant i had to sit in my chair in the shop and sift through soooooooooooo many fonts I could have easily gone blind.....lol What i would suggest is going through a fonts website (i use DAFONT.COM). There you can type what you want and the site allows you to preview thousands of font categories. To try to remember what font I used for a lot of it would be like trying to remember what I ate for breakfast in 3rd grade....lmao

Lol So I began re-watching for the 20th time Season 2 of Lost in Space (honestly will keep watching it over and over, I don't seem to get tired of it LOL) and kept noticing little things that would stand out....which then prompted me to immediately Screenshot whatever I could. If they would just release Season 2 on Blu-Ray it would be a heck of a lot easier since I could stop and rewind...lol Well, in doing so it really made me think about how many damn pictures I have now and HAD, as I would delete a bunch due to storage issues...lol Bellow is what I've managed to keep and it just overwhelms me with satisfaction to know how many people out there go through this incredible process of replicating something. The hunt for the perfect picture/video to get every angle, when you aren't able to see it up close and personal. I wish I would have kept every single picture I had but phone just kept running slower and slower...lmao The ones I have kept the longest are the ones from Danlex9's Don West costume build....the man is truly a genius in my opinion behind the sewing machine and has been my inspiration in trying newer things I have not wanted to venture in before. Sewing by hand I have always been able to do (which my mom taught me long long ago) but this whole sewing machine adventure ....well, lets just say Dan has it down to a science from looking at his thread (INCREDIBLE WORK SIR!!!).

Penny- Sundwall files.jpg

So managed to get a little further again today....busy weekend but glad I am able to manage through it and get more work to this done. Today I slowly took apart more of the suit and reused some key items while also added some to it. Colors at moment won't do it justice but all will change once I get the mesh onto it all.
20210416_084350.jpg

I also began adding little bits of quick detail. Could not for the life of me get the pattern so I made a eva foam template by hand, pushed it onto some acrylic paint and went nuts. It didn't turn 100% how I wanted it but still works for me as I don't have the freedom of time on my side.
Next I cut the area where my template will go to do the back feature pictured bellow.
Screenshot_20210309-170447_Instagram.jpg

20210416_085052.jpg

then I look closely at where things sorta sit and take some quick measurements and BAM....template is cut.
20210416_085104.jpg

The end result after some sewing and some screaming (new at sewing scream.....lol) and everything came together in the end.
20210416_143903.jpg

Again, colors aren't spot on at moment as I am creating sort of a base with the color. Afterwards I will be able to make it all 1 color and start adding some wear to it.
20210418_065417.jpg

Not completely satisfied with my pattern I decided to try to do some hand detail to try to make it stand out a little more. I can honestly say this was by far the most annoying....lol.....I almost lost my mind trying to make each square. The very first 50 I did turned out awesome...after about 100 I truly didn't give a ****, HA HA....so just did the best I could. I can't explain how incredibly bad I feel not being able to put more effort into it but like i've said before time just isn't friendly and I was losing quite a bit of it doing this today. In all my daughter was more than happy to see it and thats my first judge to please...lol Besides it looks great from 20 feet away!!! lmao
20210418_081553.jpg

Now, Once I got passed that little tid bit of fun I moved on to the pieces I had cut previously. Not one to like to waste anything, I tried to salvage and use as much of the stuff as I can. So next came the wonderful Elbow pieces, which as you can see bellow on the original suit I received they aren't accurateat all....other than the black area.
20210417_071628.jpg

After some thread busting I got both taken apart, the next part was fairly easy as it dealt with making my own orange circular pattern using the dyed mesh I had previously messed with. Little hint of 3M spray glue and the 2 fabrics mated together flawlessly. I was VERY hapy with how closely it resembles the actual suit fabric.

20210417_080424.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

So once that set and I sprayed it a little (so it wouldn't be a super bright orange)....off to the sewing department it went. lol soon after my favorite thing to do was next....making a template for the elbow protector. I ended up using the pattern already made template from Dan's Don West costume (THANKFUL you did this Dan....for real!!!) and redrew it in my vinyl program. I made a full piece then measured what I needed to cut BUT only cut 1 side. The reason you cut one side only is simple....you fold your paper in half, smack the decal onto it, cut the pattern and open it up....1st piece done in just under 25 minutes.
20210418_145748.jpg
20210418_150240.jpg

Once I placed it onto some orange Eva Foam, I cut the pattern out and got it all put together. Once the piece is on I began to get some detail onto it, so I could replicate it onto the second piece. Unfortunately I did run out of time and my husband/Daddy duties kicked in for the rest of the day. So for now all I have done is bellow......I still need to add more details to it and cover up the silver outer trim with blue/white strip to make more accurate.
20210418_173903.jpg

Will continue updating this as much as possible, our work flow will start getting heavier soon for the year and I've no time I can waste, specially with a never stop growing little girl!!! eeekkkk...lol

....as usual...STAY TUNED!! lol

20210419_102410.jpg

So today was a WONDERFUL day here in Iowa....unpredictable weather caused us to have to wrap things up at our construction job which meant going home early. With the costume being on my mind 24/7 I can honestly say I didn't care as it is MONDAY...lol

Sooooo, I figured I'd show ya pics from her test fitting AND what I managed to get done thus far today.
100_5819.JPG
100_5820.JPG
100_5821.JPG

As you can also see this is also when I tried making sure the elbow pieces looked and fit good....so far its taking shape and I am beyond happy to keep getting further and further.

For the elbow pieces I did manage to get both detail oriented more BUT only 1 of them is truly done since I ran out of time and bed time calls (but am ALWAYS beyond thankful my Wife Ann lets me play in the shop wherever I can....LOL I LOVE YOU SWEETHEART and THANK YOU!!)
20210419_172430.jpg

The ned result came out pretty damn good.......Had to go old school and use some puff paint to replicate the surrounding stitching it has. I have all the detail done on one of them 100%. MAybe if weather sucks I can finish the rest this week....if not it'll be a battle between me and cars with costume inserted in between them.....lol ha ha
20210419_195943.jpg

Buh Bye for now........hope to keep updating these much sooner!!! I am still anxiously awaiting ANY news on Season 3 of Lost in Space, I guess until then I'll keep watching the other 2 seasons and finding more stuff to add....LOL

Last edited:
as I would delete a bunch due to storage issues...lol Bellow is what I've managed to keep and it just overwhelms me with satisfaction to know how many peopl
Lol So I began re-watching for the 20th time Season 2 of Lost in Space (honestly will keep watching it over and over, I don't seem to get tired of it LOL) and kept noticing little things that would stand out....which then prompted me to immediately Screenshot whatever I could. If they would just release Season 2 on Blu-Ray it would be a heck of a lot easier since I could stop and rewind...lol Well, in doing so it really made me think about how many damn pictures I have now and HAD, as I would delete a bunch due to storage issues...lol Bellow is what I've managed to keep and it just overwhelms me with satisfaction to know how many people out there go through this incredible process of replicating something. The hunt for the perfect picture/video to get every angle, when you aren't able to see it up close and personal. I wish I would have kept every single picture I had but phone just kept running slower and slower...lmao The ones I have kept the longest are the ones from Danlex9's Don West costume build....the man is truly a genius in my opinion behind the sewing machine and has been my inspiration in trying newer things I have not wanted to venture in before. Sewing by hand I have always been able to do (which my mom taught me long long ago) but this whole sewing machine adventure ....well, lets just say Dan has it down to a science from looking at his thread (INCREDIBLE WORK SIR!!!).

View attachment 1447522

If you are able, it would be really helpful to me and others building the costume if you could post your research photos in an online photo album. Maybe after you no longer under a time crunch. :) For example, I have not been able to find a lot of photos of the backpack, and I can see that you found some good ones.

Last edited:
If you are able, it would be really helpful to me and others building the costume if you could post your research photos in an online photo album. Maybe after you no longer under a time crunch. :) For example, I have not been able to find a lot of photos of the backpack, and I can see that you found some good ones.
You know what, just because you asked so nicely, made a fine point AND you work for NASA, I will do my best to find whatever I have!! lol (I can't say no to NASA engineers! ha ha)

Now, when i mentioned I deleted pictures, i actually meant OFF my phone....but with how meticulous with both construction, cars and my art stuff....I should have mentioned most of all I have went into my external hard drive. I will triple double check to make sure I didnt truly delete it (sometimes I have been known to do that...lol) and will post all i can.

I am slowly getting the hang of the site, hopefully i can just load all as attachments? We will see.

Really like where you're going with that suit (y) Your mesh ''fabric'' could've served on the back of the suit (instead of losing your mind tracing all of those lill' squares by hand) You could've applied the mesh directly onto the surface and sprayed it with darker orange. After that, sewing the mesh fabric on top of that painted pattern.;) Eager to see your next update!

Really like where you're going with that suit (y) Your mesh ''fabric'' could've served on the back of the suit (instead of losing your mind tracing all of those lill' squares by hand) You could've applied the mesh directly onto the surface and sprayed it with darker orange. After that, sewing the mesh fabric on top of that painted pattern.;) Eager to see your next update!
lol unfortunately the orange are actual smaller rectangles...almost like a bicycle tread. So the circles would of thrown it off....I opted for spraying the mesh over fabric but had some issues i ran into when testing. So after looking at it closer it was more feasible to spray glue it on then adding my color touches soon after. I'll need to start posting pictures of the actual suit for people to reference. I am still covering the entire suit with my mesh I dyed awhile back so it will look incredibly close. Im beyond eager to get this all done! lmao

You know what, just because you asked so nicely, made a fine point AND you work for NASA, I will do my best to find whatever I have!! lol (I can't say no to NASA engineers! ha ha)

Now, when i mentioned I deleted pictures, i actually meant OFF my phone....but with how meticulous with both construction, cars and my art stuff....I should have mentioned most of all I have went into my external hard drive. I will triple double check to make sure I didnt truly delete it (sometimes I have been known to do that...lol) and will post all i can.

I am slowly getting the hang of the site, hopefully i can just load all as attachments? We will see.

Thanks. Yes, asking nicely never hurts. :) A couple of options, if you reach a limit with the number of images that you can attach to this thread, you could post them to a Google Drive or a 3rd-party image hosting surface. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Thanks. Yes, asking nicely never hurts. :) A couple of options, if you reach a limit with the number of images that you can attach to this thread, you could post them to a Google Drive or a 3rd-party image hosting surface. I appreciate your help. Thanks!
lol you didn't evem have to ask....you could of just said "Nasa Engineer/space suit" and I would of loaded them right away....lol ha ha I'll try my best to see which route will work best. I managed to look into my external hard drive this morning before work and I believe I have a total of 350-370 pics. Some were damn near perfect and some were just blurry or dark. A lot of them I had to take screenshots directly off the show which either worked out or didnt. I still kept anything I could just in case....lol Some of the stuff saved also came from the Don West thread in here from Dan. He has managed to do the orange suit piece by piece and is ahead of me in that department while I am ahead of him in the other pieces.....his thread is amazing! We may have some rain this Friday which could mean no work....if that is the case, I will make it my mission to post anything I can for you and others looking to do this!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back