So I got myself an early fathers day gift....lol Been wanting to get an airbrush setup for what seems like forever just never found a decently priced one and didnt want to go all overboard since Iwon'tuse it everyday. So i pulled the trigger and so far it's doing what i want it to do. It is so far an easy way to get some shading onto areas I wouldn't be able to with the old rattle can or brush. I went ahead and added some shading to areas on the jacket just as they have on theirs in the show. Happy with the outcome!

20210620_205353.jpg

Shading outback really makes the other blues stand out a little more. My lighting might need a little work as it doesn't give it full justice....looks like a winner to me at least!
20210620_203854.jpg

and now the front which didn't require too much.....will try my best to soon start the rest of the sleeve and finish up a few key points on jacket. For now it is starting to take shape and REALLY want to get pants, gloves, belts going so I can get them done on time. Tons of work and little time left!
20210620_203928.jpg

For now it's night night time as it'll be yet another busy week at work....Rain day would be SUPER NICE to have as I could get this further ahead....until then, be back soon!! lol

well well, back to life again....battling away every little second I can against all the things trying to keep me from working on this darn costume!!! lol
So I've been waking up at around 4am and little by little trying to get ahead as much as I can. So far I started working on the forearm pieces that I can only say I've truly struggled on but am going to get them done no matter what. My little one (Charlie)has been all over the place and not quite home for me to get exact measurements, so I've been struggling a bit on that department. I did the whole shrink wrap thing with duct tape and for the most part it sorta worked, except I sorta messed up a little on measuring certain areas. I will explain further down.....
20210623_055827.jpg

So after a little research and youtube, I managed to somewhat replicate the forearm piece.....Above was my test pieces which first one was the one on the right. Sewing through into the foam/cloth (purchased at Walmart) I figured it would work except it didn't have the effect I wanted. Sooooo, after watching 2 videos I quickly learned that by cutting the foam in strips, it would give me the desired effect.
20210623_061223.jpg

So I cut 7 strips for each arm and began spray gluing them onto the fabric......I wedged in between them as I glued all down and for the most part it helped tons to keep it in place. The end result was what I was hopin for....
20210624_051838.jpg

Once the fabric was put around a circular object it basically did exactly what I wanted it to do and looked pretty good....EXCEPT a miscalculation sorta put me in a position that in the end I had to live with. It seems that on the pictures I used for reference, 7 pieces show on Penny's arm.....which is exactly what I replicated. The huge problem was that I replicated them as per picture without considering that Charlies arms are short!!!! :eek: o_O:oops:
As i'm sitting there cursing my head off (I JUST PUT SO MUCH TIME INTO THIS:mad:) the thought of having to redo them and set myself back was just not going to be possible. So, as much as I hate it because I just couldn't keep them long, I had to settle for the short version of them....only 4 rows instead of 7.....which youll see down towards end of this post.:confused:

Moving on, I started working on the parachute cord area and at least those managed to be a little simple.
20210629_170640.jpg

I took same steps as before except this time I managed to also sew around the entire thing before sewing on all the smaller pieces. Lucky me I had decided long ago to sew the orange onto the gray/white ribbon or that would have also taken forever. This time all I had to do was cut them and hold them down and still have plenty left over.
20210702_061006.jpg

end result was pretty good minus a couple that tried getting away from me but all is secure and likely to withstand some abuse. The next step was to get the parachute cord on.
20210702_061143.jpg

Once I had that all done......I began the painful task of finishing the one side so I could have a better grasp on the second. I also meant painful in the sense that I stabbed myself almost 100 times trying to hand sew the new piece onto the elbow area. I used my 4lb. .008 Diameter fishing line I had purchased like 9 years ago (never went fishing with it...LOL) and the line worked beyond great. It allows for a stronger hold while not being as noticeable.....not as easy to work with as it likes to twist and turn but once you get through it the end result speaks for itself.

I am most happy with how it turned out...minus the little issue with the foam area. Sometimes it is better to move forward then trying to step back.....and I WANT THIS THING DONE ASAP!!!! lol
20210711_190118.jpg

20210711_190103.jpg

Only other thing I did after that was actually something I wasn't planning on but went ahead and did it. I had originally glued on all the fabric pieces and what not but after noticing a few things slowly pulling apart, I said the heck with it. I went and sewed in every single thing along the edges and anything that could potentially fall apart. Being that this suit was already pre-built, I couldn't sew all my stuff in like most people whom can build it from scratch. I am a little more satisfied with the end result and know that the pieces (if heat gets to them) won't begin separating.....which was and still is my fear when dealing with wearable fabrics etc.

I will update more as I truck on through this.....as always...STAY TUNED!!:cool:(y)

Looking very good...yes, you don`t want that costume to fall apart;) (y)
Thank you thank you good sir and ohhhh yeah for sure. I kept thinking of every possible outcome and what all I'd have to take with us to an event if it all fell apart. The simple answer was to get my happy butt onto sewing machine to get all that attached properly.

WELL well WELL....back again with a little more updates. It has been HOT....it has been ANNOYING but I'm still beyond determined to get this done no matter what (unless my arms fall off...lol).
I promised my little one I would get this done and just in time for C2E2 in Chicago to show it off and damn it I'm gonna get it!! lmao
I have been waking up every single day at around 4-4:15am (my internal body clocks new time to be annoyingly awake) and I use EVERY spare time I can to work on this before making my way to the wonderful construction job.....then car work on weekends. Exhausted is not in my vocabulary ( I had to look it up...lol) but dead is more around how I feel.....this thing is constantly taking me into a thousand loops around every corners. Fortunately with each failure comes another light that shines into the direction I need to head to get this accomplished.

Now for the fun....because it IS fun still despite a little stress!!!

Last time I left off I had just slapped on the arm pieces and was getting ready to add the rings at the end...EXCEPT, I didnt even have gloves even worked on yet!!!!!! EEEKKKKKK...lol

So here is what went down:

20200302_114435.jpg

Awhile back I purchased a pair of these Easton gloves at good 'ol Walmart (decent in price too). My idea was to lay on fabric onto them using 3M adhesive spray then paint them up.
First run was to me disastrous as I didn't have the proper mesh size to use and in the end (I still tried it on the gloves) the spray paint was eating the glue. The chemicals within the spray made the glue NOT want to stick on and thus began to come apart. Next quick step was to use Contact cement which worked but would quickly take the paint and mix into itself....contact cement chemical composition was a bit too much for the spray paint....lol So I used a combination of that still along with spraying paint over the glue AND clear spray on Plasti-Dip. All worked well BUT the catch was that I needed to run a heavy duty fan on it soon as I sprayed it all. Well the end result just DID NOT satisfy me and looked BLAHHH!
20210225_152740.jpg
20210225_152747.jpg
20200423_223039.jpg

After that scenario (which was done like back in April...lol) I put them to the side and went on with other things. Soooo, not being happy with outcome from previous and patterns didn't fit what I needed...I chose to start ALLLL over again.
This time I would make the process a little easier (tons of white areas to cover with spray paint wasn't going to work).
Got new gloves and this time I put them in the same Synthetic Dye as my other orange items....process took a little longer but the end result was exactly what was needed.
20210721_160127.jpg

I was mainly going for that full anywhere Orange could adhere to look....lol Unfortunately orange turned into red between fingers the longer it soaked in my Dye bath....no biggie though. So I went back out and got fabric mesh that I KNEW was perfect for this...not so big...and repeated process once more. The contact cement went onto the groves where all was needed and brushed onto the mesh. Once Ready I let the 2 dry and before you know it, I have a nice suitable glove I can use.
20210721_170616.jpg

Definitely a HUGE improvement for me as it looked MUCH closer to where it needs to be. After that it all went down hill from there. I started to glue anything that could potentially come off AND sewed in a TON more that would be under more stress (it is a hand, so open, close and grabbing is inevitable). Using a combination of those listed above, fishing line for strength and detail work using Eva foam, puff paint and my normal acrylics....I can say they turned out WAYYYY better than expected AANNNDDDDD they hold up to open/closing of hand.
20210807_161129.jpg
20210807_161120.jpg
20210807_161139.jpg

After a few layers of puff paint (finger tips) I got it to looks as close as the glove from LIS.
HERE IS ORIGINAL L.I.S. Glove (picture credit to Danlex9 on here....THANK YOU for having this posted awhile back, has helped greatly).
Screenshot_20210807-213040_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210807-212929_Chrome.jpg

my version...
20210820_150633.jpg
20210807_161120.jpg

Once I got past one glove I began to figure out my next move (while Still slowly truckin away at the second glove which are both done now). The next step was to figure out the rings around the wrist...LUCKILY (Danlex9 to the rescue) had started to work on those for his, So I was able to get the idea flowing with something to look at directly.

As you all know by now I work construction and I do a million other things....So finding the parts were easy as pie. I'd go to my local home improvement store and purchase a 90 degree elbow (scheduled 40) piece of Pcv and a piece of pipe to go inside...BAM, DONE!!!
The rest after that was me trying to see how it all would fit in and HOW......the HOW is what is slowly getting harder as I progress through this part.
20210728_055827.jpg

Once all was measured, cut, trimmed, sanded down and test fitted (roughly) to the upper suit it came time to figure out the scary part. Seems Danlex9 was WAYYYY beyond more confident then I was with the saw when he cut the center pieces on it. As mentioned I work construction and I VALUE my fingers and work with Big saws that can easy cut you in half (when it cuts through 6 inch think concrete, asphalt, nyloplast pipes etc. you know that thing will cut hands like a hot butter knife...lol). So the idea of my building this costume without fingers was like....a HUGE NO NO!!! lol So what can I come up with...DUH, use your car intellect Rodnie (what I said to myself)!!!!

DREMMEL TOOL SETUP!!!! lol
20210802_163336.jpg

Then when you are done going through that you flip it and it gives you the most perfect all around groove you need.....I've used jigs before when doing automotive so this was a quick no hassle solution ANDDDD I still have all 9 of my fingers...LOL JK JK all 10 still whole!!!! lmao

20210803_060021.jpg

After that I began looking into my (previously purchased) Velox Guidoline (a.k.a. Handle Bar Tape). It was simply the only thing I could find close to what I wanted and wasn't like a 1,000% spot on but close enough and cheap. So I cut that to fit the grooves made and BOOM, part of the puzzle is coming together.
20210803_062037.jpg

Next step I didn't get pics as I was REALLY trying to not go nuts with car work and finding any down time I had to paint. I ended up drilling like a million angled holes on the part that would go towards arm. This meant I could use my fishing line to hand sew it onto the suit. The added strength of the line assured me she could easily bump against stuff or tug a bit without regular polyester line snapping. I knew even if this suit only makes it through now I wanted it to last and hold up (plus I have a 2 year old I can always put it on when shes older...LOL).

So after drilling and sanding, I taped up area needing that rubber tape and got to painting. Past week with work has been beyond STRESSFUL and ANNOYING, HOTTER than hell and left me with only tidbits of time I could spare. I used EVERY ounce of it and the end result is where I am currently at.
20210820_045124.jpg

The rings are on and paint came out almost perfect...I used a bright coat gold (7710830) spray can for the base and the Duplicolor Metalcast anodized Coating (MC205) to achieve the orange (Again all thanks to Danlex9 for the info). If you spray a coat and dry it with a good fan you can achieve the desired color in no time and then let it dry through as it should before doing anything else.

Next step is to figure out the gloves and how they will snap in...i'm thinking some good Neodymium magnets that are small but able to hold ground when snapped together. I used them on the backpack....so why not on the gloves.

All I have left are 3 important pieces the belt, the pants and a chest piece that adds on to the one already made. I can be then be FINALLY done....that is until I break something....lol Tickets for C2E2 Chicago will be purchased here soon, hotel, van was reserved from my wife, I have my L.I.S. shirts for wife and I and all I have left is to get one for my little 2 year old to wear.

Until then.......ADIOS AMIGOS!!!:cool:

Last edited:
Beautiful job and good luck(y)(y):cool::cool:
THANK YOU SOOOO Much good sir....you all on this awesome site have been beyond gracious, helpful and down right awesome. It has honestly kept me going.....its like having that little push to get you to the finish line. I will keep this going and hope to be able to be done on time AND enjoy our mini 3 day vacation in December to show it off. I cannot state how much I love peoples reactions towards my daughter and what we end up dressed in.....it's the greatest feeling in the world to me!

Very well done -- that is beyond cool :)
Thank you sooooo much....you're all my fuel for this build. Im sooo close yet still far from my goal and running out of time......so each time I receive praise it seriously gets me going! Thank you and everyone for taking time to look through my adventure!

Amazing dedication shown on this build, super impressive. I hope your daughter knows how lucky she is?! Well done. I'm looking forward to the rest of this adventure. -- Cheers

Amazing dedication shown on this build, super impressive. I hope your daughter knows how lucky she is?! Well done. I'm looking forward to the rest of this adventure. -- Cheers
Thank you for the kind words, she definitely knows how incredibly tedious this whole process is and how involved I get with each costume. We are both incredibly happy and lucky with every step we take on this build, as a father I am lucky to have her in my life. She has been cheering me on to get it all completed by my set date so we will see. The suit is taking me into roads never traveled and sooooo many twists and turns. It is taking a lot out of me to keep focused along with the million other things I do. My art is what keeps me from going nuts, so I always try my hardest despite everyday life challenges. It shows her that sometimes what we deem impossible can always be made possible if you just put all your heart into it and always keep moving forward.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who have showered me with kind words....as mentioned, just keeps that fuel from running out. I will be posting soon more stuff as time passes.

Thank you for the kind words, she definitely knows how incredibly tedious this whole process is and how involved I get with each costume. We are both incredibly happy and lucky with every step we take on this build, as a father I am lucky to have her in my life. She has been cheering me on to get it all completed by my set date so we will see. The suit is taking me into roads never traveled and sooooo many twists and turns. It is taking a lot out of me to keep focused along with the million other things I do. My art is what keeps me from going nuts, so I always try my hardest despite everyday life challenges. It shows her that sometimes what we deem impossible can always be made possible if you just put all your heart into it and always keep moving forward.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who have showered me with kind words....as mentioned, just keeps that fuel from running out. I will be posting soon more stuff as time passes.
My most successful projects have always been focused around my kids. Anything I build for myself flutters out. As to the kind words, they're earned! You're an inspiration to many.

So here we are making a little more progress.....gonna jump right to it!!

So my biggest worry just got fixed today 100%. When I got the gloves finished I had to come up with the best possible way to mount both the cut rings and the gloves. I tried multiple scenarios and the one that fit best for my situation worked AND keeps the pieces secured pretty damn good!
The rings (as much as I didn't want) got multiple drill holes on the back part of them. The holes made it possible for me to hand sew fishing line through onto the fabric. Each Hole pulled the fabric together to it until all was secure.
20210820_212354.jpg

The same treatment was done for the gloves and I knew that if I wanted to make this suit as absolutely close to the original series one I had to go for the full effect. So I made them so they detach from the suit itself.....

20210820_211547.jpg

Now, this came with a challenge where it left me a bit stuck once I got the whole thing sewn etc. The glove fit perfectly into place and measurements were pretty dead on BUT the issue I ran into was how to keep the insert from falling out. I tested the suit on Charlie with the gloves and first issue when she moved was the glove slowly making its way out (despite being just a bit tight going in due to the fishing line).

I wanted to try using magnets again as I knew they were heavy duty ones but that also failed. The magnets (when tested on another piece I made awhile back) showed that although it would secure it into place any heavy movement made made the piece slide out without effort. I would of LOVED to have not shown how it secured into place but with time running out and very little margin of error....I had to find a better solution.

The solution was simple but unfortunately would mean showing 4 total bolts (2 on each side) of the rings....which honestly I can live with it and I ended up coloring them with the orange spray used prior for rings. It isn't the prettiest for both the multi holes and screws BUT it secures the gloves and I can easily remove them to take gloves off during the C2E2 show.....so she can eat and go to bathroom and have some freedom from some of the heat it'll generate. All I keep thinking is 11 year old, walking all day and being hot in a suit....so ANY relief is in my thought processing wayyy in advance.
20210829_191711.jpg

Now, the next thing I decided to attempt was supposed to be easy as it was test fitting the suit on her.....WELP, seems that was going to give me one hell of a reality check that I have been dreading since I started this costume.
I had her put all that was done on along with the pants that would soon be modified to look like the jacket.......FIRST problem I hit.....PANTS NO LONGER FIT PROPERLY!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Seems as predicted she would start growing and she must of had one hell of a growth spurt because they were short and too tight and uncomfortable. LUCKILY my wife Ann came to the rescue this weekend and headed towards her favorite Good Will Store and found me a new pair that successfully fit her perfectly AND had plenty of room for improvements etc. (bottom ones on pic).
20210829_072750.jpg

The second and third Issue I quickly got on, second issue dealt with an open seem on the arm which I quickly took care off by sewing it together (hadn't seen it before). The third issue came in the form of the communicator straps not secured properly when I first built them. So when I test fitted them to the arm the first thing it did was crack and pop right out (so back to the bench it went...lol). The end result was to put better stronger straps and finish it off with the velcro....the damn thing is secure and back to normal!!
20210829_191702.jpg

The whole thing is coming together and I also tested the music range for the backpack speakers....seems I can be between 100-120 feet away until I lose a bit of signal. This test was incredibly satisfying as I knew I could be 20-30-40 feet away yet still be able to play the theme song and trailers throughout....undetected by people!!! SNEAKY SNEAKY I kNOW!!!!! lol
Other then that the test fit was successful minus the pants and little things that are now fixed!
20210826_184921.jpg

There was also a piece of the suit I had almost forgot about which dealt with the pad that attaches to the jacket. So I managed to get that out of the way and all I need to do is give it some dark tone touch ups to give it more depth. This was a bit hard to accomplish as I had to try to replicate the look of the other piece that came with the jacket.....so all was perfect until I had to add that vinyl piece around it. Didn't turn out so great but it works and I can live with it.....I have to talk to myself and keep saying "IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT DAMN IT"...lol All in all using some ribbon, my matching material suit is made of and foam padding.....the results aren't too bad. Sewing machine helped greatly on this one!!
20210824_061141.jpg
20210826_052155.jpg
20210826_072954.jpg

I may play around more once all is done with the picture bellow through Photoshop so I can replicate the pic of the Netflix Poster!!
20210826_191251.jpg

I'm SOOOOO excited to slowly see it look like the character!!

So now I am down to the pants and the belt which I know BOTH will test me but I will get through it all no matter what. The pants I will tackle next and have already started working on prior details that I know I will need in advance.

First Issue I saw was with the orange strip that goes on front and back of pants. When I cut the jacket in the beginning I saved the left over portions THINKING I would have enough strips to put together to work. Well, that was a total FAIL as I today managed to only get the little pieces which just wasn't going to work out AT ALL!! LUCKILY I had anticipated running into this issue possibly just didn't want to have to undergo the process...lol In the end it was inevitable yet worked out perfectly...I now have 4 18 inch long pieces I can work with that replicate the jacket strips pretty damn close.
20210829_072849.jpg

20210829_102024.jpg

picture above shows the smaller piece salvaged from the suit versus the beginning of mine.
20210829_073304.jpg

After that first one and some clips and a lot of caffeine...lol....I got all 4 pieces done today. Bellow is picture before I added ribbon to the sides and got them all done.
20210829_080040.jpg

All I have left on them is to add some silver puff paint on the ribbon (which when tested prior made them look REALLY identical to my jacket strips).

So 2 items left on my list...PANTS and BELT, after that all I have is minor details with a bit of weathering so it doesn't look so new.....should give the entire suit once done that MOVIE feel of being used.

Screenshot_20210829-211747_Gallery.jpg

I AM BEYOND Determined to get this accomplished now for sure.....tickets above are bought, Van reserved, Hotel soon to be reserved and I'm ready to WOW the world hopefully with my Penny Robinson close to replica space suit!!! Thanks again ya'll for the incredible support AND don't forget to take a peek also at DANLEX9's Don West Space suit build (Dan's seriously my hero!!! lol).

Great update once again...and the problems/solutions really add to the suspenseo_O As for the girls; they grow fast!
This thread is killing me because of the deadline fast approaching :eek::eek::eek:

Great update once again...and the problems/solutions really add to the suspenseo_O As for the girls; they grow fast!
This thread is killing me because of the deadline fast approaching :eek::eek::eek:
Oh trust me the suspense is killing me as well....lmao I've done some costumes for her in the past but never have I felt so overwhelmed knowing she is growing faster than expected AND now I have a deadline to try to beat. I want to make sure I can also give myself enough time before that C2E2 expo to do some quality pictures. It'll be incredibly sad for me to not be able to get her back into it once she out grows it (probably by next year) but hey....I have a 2 year old turning 3 in December (day after show ends) which I can have plenty of costumes for....lmao

View attachment 1490210
Can not wait to see it finished my kids and I watch lost in space ---- my son loves this build :)
It took him all of a few min to make this pic for you

Have a great day
oh man, im not gonna lie you almost made me get all teary eyed.....i was planning to do that exact thing on photoshop once all done and he did AWESOME and i love it.
The show (despite some people's negative feedback whichi could care less for....lol) has been incredibly great to watch. Much like the original show you can anticipate there will be an issue along the way (much like daily life) but in all a great cast of actors/actresses. What has gotten me attached to it the most is the never forgetful theme of family. Through thick and thin as long as you have each others back (much like the Robinsons stick together) there is nothing impossible. I treasure that the most because I much like yourself and countless others undergo day to day struggles....but if everyone is willing to hold tight and not let go.....the journey through this life is much safer and sweeter!
I'm incredibly humbled your son did that for us and after seeing this....i will ABSOLUTELY have a great day...thank you!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back