Paint scrape issues, thoughts?

Jumpergal

I make figures from white Smooth-cast 300, and once de-moulded I wash them well, sand them lightly but thoroughly and put two coats of primer on before using a combination of airbrush and regular craft acrylic to paint and detail them.

I let them dry thoroughly (generally five days or so) and then I seal them with two coats of clear semigloss, using a spraycan. Generally it's the higher-end stuff from Canadian Tire, which name I can't recall.

There are still occasional rub and chip issues, down to the primer and sometimes to the plastic, particularly on raised portions of the figures. Even when they're small enough to not be noticeable to the average viewer, it annoys me thoroughly. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to bond the paint more completely to the plastic.

Anyone?

Add grey or black dye to your resin when casting - then yourscrapes won't be so shocking white. I prefer to tint most of my castings to a dark grey for that reason. Smooth-on can sel you the preferred tint for your resin. Good Luck! Show us some pics!

holy cow, that's brilliant.

Thanks! And I'll post some soon. Not genre related, actually, but I think they'd be well received in this forum...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back