Y-Wing Building

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by KAIBURR, Nov 30, 2001.

1. KAIBURR

KAIBURR Well-Known Member

I could be completely wrong, but just the other day in a hobby shop I discovered what may have been used for the Vectral Fins strut detail. It's an orange plastic kit of a Tank Recovery attatchment made by Tamiya. I'll be checking the store again this tuesday with Y-photos along for the ride. It certainly appeared to be the parts (with the holes cut in them).

Nathan

2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like a good lead, Kaiburr. Update? :)

In case any of this warrants discussion, (and to help anyone trying to determine what has been added/changed) here is what has been changed in the list since I first posted it weeks ago. Many clarifications were added by myself based on my own observations, and, of course, many were contributed by you good folks!

The complete list itself will from now on be maintained on a web page. It won't be up till after the holidays, though.

##
    Airfix 1/144 Apollo Saturn V Rocket
    I only just added the most obvious detail of all: stage 1 halves for the engines. Not that anyone didn’t already know! Also added the fact that the newer kit has minor differences from ‘70s Airfix version.

Airfix 1/600 German Battleship Scharnhorst
    I was told after posting the first list that this belongs here, but thatÂ’s all I know. Perhaps it only counts because of the bogus R2 strip slapped on as a repair to that one Y.

Airfix 1/24 AV-8A Hawker Harrier
    retail Price is $85. The engine parts on the wings are #s 12 & 13. 17 & 18 also somewhere.

Airfix 1/24 Hawker Hurricane Mk II
    (Mk1 is currently more plentiful and also works)
    engine block halves are parts 6 & 7; the "Rolls Royce" engine valve cover parts are #s 39 & 40; the oil pan is part # 8;

Bandai 1/24 Messerschmitt Bf 109 E4
    the landing gear of THIS KIT, may it finally be posted, is the source of the “dome struts”. My thanks to the contributor.

ESCI/ERTL (DML?) 1/8(?) German KettenKrad
    this entry was erroneously labeled “Tamiya” in the first listing.

Italeri 1/35 155mm Gun M1-A2 Howitzer
    The 105mm Howitzer, and probably other variations, has mostly the same parts, including this one; the same kits have been released under the Testors brand

Tamiya 1/25 British Centurion tank
    $66 at Hobby Link Japan

Tamiya 1/35 JagdTiger
    I recently picked up a Nichimo version that would work just find in its place. (For all I know itÂ’s the same kit)

the 1/76 JagdTiger entry was changed to reflect an unknown manufacturer. Tamiya didnÂ’t make one. In fact, the entire entry has yet to be substantiated.

Tamiya 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf M/N
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is definitely the box at the end of the dome struts. either of two identical parts, Part #A4 (“gun turret base”) or part # C8 (“N Type Barrel Base");

[​IMG]
    Kit is also the source of the rectangular strip w/ 3 rectangular cutouts seen in several places, both on engines and hull: part #A33 (“Armour Plate C”): undoubtedly long known by the gurus in our midst but the ID has to my knowledge never been posted here. Found that one alllll by myself, aren’t you proud? :)

Tamiya 1/20 sf3d (ma.k zbv 3000) JERRY heavy armored fighting suit
    this entry was added thanks to a contributor.

3. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

Hey, Treadwell,

I appreciate all the work that goes into maintaining these lists for the X-Wing and Y-Wing threads. I'm a bit concerned though about the amount of space they take up within each thread, especially when there are only small, incremental changes being made from one list to the next.

In my opinion, it might be a better idea to keep these lists and modifications on some webspace somewhere else, and post links to them in your messages here. That way you can link to just the most up-to-date versions of these things, and then we don't have to scroll thru page after page of nearly identical lists, which tend to clog up the normal message flow here, IMO.

What do you think?

4. Treadwell

Sounds good to me. I wanted to edit out the superceded versions migrated from the old board but that's not possible. Feel free to remove them if you wish. (For what it's worth, the list posted today would have been removed by myself the next time I posted an update..)

I wanted to do it as a web page to begin with, in fact. I put them here out of consideration for those who were hesitant about the fruits of their labors being presented "publicly" away from here. I agree it would be a shame for surfers to find the lists via a search engine and never come here to participate.

But if space concerns supercede the others, a-web-ing I will go. I'll just post new info here.

[edit]
    In fact, I was just about to post a "what's changed" listing like I did over at the X. Instead I'll just edit it over the list above. Scroll up, folks! :)

5. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

Thanks, Treadwell!

6. Treadwell

(Note the correct spelling, folks...use both in your searches!)

I forget whose post I gleaned it from, but my list says this kit provides "The tread changing jack (or whatever it is) is used on one side of the R2 unit."

Well, lookie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look like the same part to me. This is the best pic I found of the area, but it didn't look the same in pics of other Y's, either.

Since we all have jacks aplenty from all the armor kits we have lying around, it seems to me just about any of those in that scale would be just as right (or wrong) than the one from this kit.

So, unless there are other needed parts in it I don't know about, it looks like we can scratch off this kit.

...while we're talkin' Elefants...(if you'll pardon a brief shift to the X):

Fujami 1/76 Elefant
    Confirmed? I have a 1/72 ESCI on the way just for the hell of it, but I haven't come across any 1/76 scale. (I know, the decade is young...)

7. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Fujami 1/76 Elefant
    Confirmed? I have a 1/72 ESCI on the way just for the hell of it, but I haven't come across any 1/76 scale. (I know, the decade is young...)</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Try "Fujimi" instead of "Fujami"

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

And here's a link to the 1/76 Fujimi Elephant page at HobbyLink Japan. When in doubt, check HLJ. Trust me.

HTH,

8. Treadwell

Ah! With a "ph" spelling, too!

I will take your advice on HLJ.

thx!

9. KAIBURR

The tank recovery kit I mentioned earlier is the #35243 and made by Tamiya. I hope this is correct, it certainly looks the part.

Nathan

10. DK424

DK424 New Member

I've been beaten to the punch! Was just checking a friend's 1/24 Bandai Messerschmitt this weekend, so I'll second that confirmation. It is the right part. The only mystery remaining is what that small bit added to the Kettenkrad part could be.

A couple more kits to add to the list are the Arfix/MPC 1/24 P-51 Mustang - tailwheel strut halves, parts #83 & #84 and the Bandai 1/48 Kubelwagen - brake discs, parts #30 & #31. I've heard that the same Kubelwagen parts are in the Bandai 1/48 Schwimwagen also. These are the parts on the flat, rectangular area on the Panzerspahwagen chassis on the sides of the neck. Very clear in photos of this area.

Could it be that the Airfix Scharnhorst is the source for the 4 boxes on the back underside. Anyone have the kit?

Dan

11. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

1/24 BANDAI Messerschmitt? Does Bandai have a 1/24 Messerschmitt, or do you mean Airfix?

P-51 Mustang? I've always thought that maybe another 1/24 Airfix WWII Plane was used on the Y because the Hurricane or Messerschmitt landing gear struts are not right for the front dome structures. Are the Mustang FRONT landing gears the ones for the Y?

I have the Airfix Scharnhorst, but not with me right now.

Where are the P-51 Tailwheel Strut Halves used on the Y?

12. DK424

DK424 New Member

Yes, there is indeed a Bandai 1/24 Me 109 Messerschmitt. I compared the kit with some photos of the Y-wing, and theyÂ’re a perfect match. If I remember correctly, Bandai made a 1/24 Mustang also. I eliminated all the Airfix landing gear years ago, except for the Focke Wulf, which IÂ’ve never had.

LetÂ’s see if I can give a good description of where those Mustang tailwheel halves are. On the 8-wheeled Panzerspahwagen chassis bottoms that make up both sides of the neck, thereÂ’s a smooth, flat rectangular area. Towards one end is glued a disk, which is the brake disc from the Bandai Kubelwagen. In front of that is half a Mustang tailgear. The bit where the axle is has been clipped off so the part can fit into the rectangular space. If any of the photo links at the beginning of this thread are still up, there should be some close-ups of the neck. ItÂ’s even fairly easy to spot in other photos if you know what to look for. IÂ’ve seen about one Y-wing thatÂ’s missing the tailgear parts. Hopefully this all makes sense.

Dan

13. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG] Merry Christmas [​IMG]

Schools Class Harrow:
    Part #5 & #5A

Hasegawa 1/72 Sherman:

Part #15 x2
    Part #10 x4
    Part #24 x3
    Part #5

Bandai 1/48 Panther:
    Part #C7

These parts are not very noticable.....but if you have a good eye and look at the pictures that have been posted in this thread you will find them. [​IMG]

14. DK424

DK424 New Member

Also on the 1/72 Sherman is part #17 (the headlights) x 2.

Part #5, eh? Must've missed that one (probably need my one good eye checked!).

Dan

15. Treadwell

Thanks for the fresh info, folks!

About the Bandai Messer: is it possible the other X and Y parts we've been crediting to the Airfix are actually all from the Bandai? The Airfix R2 strip part matches perfectly but for all I know so does the Bandai.

16. DK424

DK424 New Member

The Bandai Messerschmitt isn't nearly as good as the Airfix, plus it's molded it that brittle plastic the Japanese companies were so fond of back in the 70's. I just may have to bug my friend this weekend and make a comparision.

17. Boba Flint

The Airfix was used on the R2 strip. However part #87 from the Bandai Messerschmitt is used to detail the X-Wing cockpit.

18. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

I got the Tamiya 1/35 Tank Recovery Accessories kit, and the part looks right. However, it's not yellow, and you have to hack it up a bit to get what's on the Vectrals. I also picked up a DML 1/9 BMW 75 with Feldgendarme. I don't see any parts yet. I think the one I really wanted was the Zundapp with Fallschirmjager because it supposedly has Tie Fighter parts. I thought if it had parts for those, it might have others...

BowmanArt likes this.
  19. Treadwell

While this part from the Bandai 1/48 Elefant is not an exact match,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

...1/48 does seem to be the right scale for this part--therefore we couldn't just use any old jack from our armor kits (as I previously suggested) since most of them are other scales.

Fortunately, there's one other 1/48 kit already being used for our Y's that has the same jack part as the Elefant: that would be the Bandai 1/48 PanzerkampfwagenV Panther-G.

So, if one deems this jack close enough to be used, you can still scratch the elefant from your list.

20. Treadwell

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Could it be that the Airfix Scharnhorst is the source for the 4 boxes on the back underside.</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Alas, no. Maybe it's just their location, but those boxes look like fuel tanks to me. A semi trailer kit?

21. Treadwell

These two entries in the list:

DML 1/9 Kleines Kettenkraftrad Sdkfz 2
    re-issue of ESCI/ERTL halftrack motorcycle
    Price: $80
    Parts used (& their application):
    strut detail on engine dome, the front part the struts go into.
    Notes: See Tamiya King Tiger and Panzer III M/N entries for alternative viewpoints on the dome strut detail.

ESCI/ERTL (DML?) 1/8(?) German KettenKrad
    "Rabbit" motorcycle with track rear end
    Parts used (& their application):
    treads/track links (6 per ship), application unknown
    Half of the engine block sits underneath the wing near the back of the ship, as seen in The Star Wars Technical Journal.
    Two hook looking things that go on the front of the bike
    canister thing that comes in two halves, it goes on the side somewhere
    Notes: also released by DML?
    Also used for 32” ESB Millennium Falcon and 5’ Falcon

Are they the same kit? Should I merge them?

22. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

1/48 is the WRONG scale for the "jack" next to the R2. The 1/48 elephant isn't a total loss for the Y however. It does yeild another part..... [​IMG] Jamie

23. Treadwell

24. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Yes Jay merge the ESCI 1/9th kettenkrad. [​IMG]

25. Treadwell

Good find, folks!
    Grabbed one at my hobby store this weekend:

[​IMG]

I agree it'll take some work to make it exact:

[​IMG]

Hole spacing on the Y looks a little different to me, and there seems to be a wider flat area. Perhaps there's another, similar kit out there?

26. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

Actually, it was KAIBURR who fronted the tip... I just went out and bought the kit to see if it was the right one. However, I think you are right about the surface area of the piece. Either it is from a different kit or it is fabricated, the latter being the most likely because it's just a flat, thin piece of plastic with some holes in it.

27. Treadwell

yabbut it's soooo close, there's gotta be a match out there! (as you can see I'm developing OCD about this stuff... :)

New topic: T-rod.
    Earlier in this thread there was a link to a source for brass t-rod but the place has closed up shop.

Plastruct has ABS t-rod in its catalog, and I would think that would be sturdy enough to prevent the warpage styrene would inevitably bring.

After some Photoshop tinkering I came up with some rough measurements for the t-rods:
    height: 3/16" or 4.8mm
    width: 7/16" or 11.5mm
    length: 13"

From looking at different pictures, that width measurement might be a bit high. I based mine on a photo that looked like the width of the rod was roughtly equal to the distance between the "rivets" on the back of the "dome strut" boxes. But in other photos it looks like the rod is a bit thinner than that. YMMV.

I didn't bother with the width of the "T" itself.

The closest Plastruct I could find has the right height but the width falls short at 4/16". I'm getting some anyhow to see how it looks.

Stock T-6, comes in 2-ft lengths. Which means you'll have to buy eight of them since the Y rods are longer than a foot, dammit.

If anyone has different measurements please share.

28. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

1/4" brass. Enough for the Y cost me about $70.00+. "Special shapes" was the name of the company. I ordered it through a train hobby shop in St.Louis MO though.

29. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Hey everyone..and all those who are working on the studio Y-wing,I think I may have found a part(s).Dont hold yur breath...there is a possibility that I have'nt,or it has already been discovered and I just did'nt know about it.Anyways...here it goes.At the back end of the engines on the T-rods...the steering vane detail inside the Leggs part.....the horizontal fitting triangular parts with the holes in them.....thats the best discription of the location I can give.I looks like the 1/8 Entex part(s) section "F" part(s) #25&27.....they look an awful like the parts on the ILM model.The only thing Im not sure of is the scale..it may not be the incorrect size?I just got a box full of the Entex JPS parts today and it is a F!@#$%#%^?*&&^!ing! disaster.....parts every where&glued together by what looks like an 8yr. old did it.....many broken/snapped off pieces.....and only but a few left on the sprus...these were some of them.Anyways....let me know if i am wrong or not...or if those parts have been found already.If Im wrong I'll keep looking,but hope this sparks someones interest-John

30. Treadwell

Sorry, I'm still learning kit/military vehicle nomenclature...what is an Entex JPS?

31. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

John, a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Any way you can post a picture of the part in question? It would help us if we could all pitch in if we see this part.

Thanks,

Rolando

32. KAIBURR

I think he's referring to "John Player Special".

Nathan

33. JamesDavis

JamesDavis New Member

I don't want to get this discussion off-topic, but does anyone know if Entex boxed the 1/8 JPS kit in 1975? I have it in my Grip catalog for that year but not Entex.

34. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Bloody hell....I dont really have a way of sending pictures...plus Im technologically challenged to a point when it comes to computers.Im not sure how Entex packaged their kits in 1975......was a bit before my time...especially as a model builder..think I was nuts about Godzilla back then-hahahaha!All I can say is,the part(s) I spotted on what was left of the sprue were roughly an inch long,had that odd triangle shape with a series of different diameter holes evenly spaced down the center of it.I think two fit horizontilly at the end of each engine on the Y..but its tough to get pictures of that.Thing is,this is a part that can be easily scratch built,and if this turns out to be a kit part that is/was used on the minature built by ILM.......yur gonna spend at least a minimum of $200.00 for the kit Entex kit,its always tough to say what yur gonna get from a half assembled kit if you wanna save money,but you can find those on ebay sometimes.I'll keep look'in,but the pick'ins are slim from the mess of parts i got-John

35. kitbasher

kitbasher Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the Entex/Eidai/Grip/Revell Lotus 72D JPS was NOT out in 1975. I have the kit, and as far as I have been able to determine, no parts from it were used on models made for the filming of A New Hope. It was issued by Entex in 1976 or 77 I believe, too late to have been used in Star Wars. The Revell issue came out later, in the early 80's I believe. Don't know about the Grip version; it could have been out in 75...

Basher

36. JamesDavis

JamesDavis New Member

Thanks Kitbasher. The Grip catalog I have is for the foreign market, Holland and Denmark I think.

37. Treadwell

Let's review the parts from this kit as mentioned in the list:

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>strut detail on engine dome, the front part the struts go into.
    treads/track links (6 per ship), application unknown
    Half of the engine block sits underneath the wing near the back of the ship, as seen in The Star Wars Technical Journal.
    Two hook looking things that go on the front of the bike
    canister thing that comes in two halves, it goes on the side somewhere</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

First, the "strut details", which are redundantly referred to above as "hook looking things":
    [​IMG]

dat's dem!

"treads/track links (6 per ship)":
    [​IMG]

A contributor volunteered that the part was from the Tamiya 1/20 sf3d (ma.k zbv 3000) JERRY heavy armored fighting suit, which I added to the list sight unseen, but it couldn't be a better match than this kettenkrad part. Another kit to scratch off!

I believe only five are needed for the Y, as the "hole" on the side of the neck protrusion is on the port side only. Also, note that some Y-wings have Tiger I air cleaner halves on the wings instead of this part.

"Half of the engine block sits underneath the wing"
    [​IMG]

I haven't spotted this in reference pics yet.

"canister thing that comes in two halves"

There are a couple of parts in the kit that could fit this description but I haven't nailed their location yet.

I've also found what might be the little cup-like cylinders behind the Hurricane oil pan:
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, the kettenkrad entry on the list will be revised. I don't have part numbers handy but will edit them in later.

Comments?

38. DK424

DK424 New Member

Treadwell:
    The engine block half is on the side of the body, underneath the wing and even with the trailing edge. A little less than half has been cut off. If you look at the photo of the underside of the Y-wing in the SW Technical Journal, youÂ’ll see it plain as day (best viewed upside-down!). The most detailed half, in the above, left pic, was used on both sides, at least on the MoM model. Last time I visited the exhibit in November, I brought along a mini Maglight to light up the shadows while I shot some video, and there they were!

Still not sure about those cannister halves either.

Dan

39. Boba Flint

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>A contributor volunteered that the part was from the Tamiya 1/20 sf3d (ma.k zbv 3000) JERRY heavy armored fighting suit,

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Huh??? [​IMG]

40. Treadwell

Yup, and apparently was mistaken, but I appreciate his effort.

Or, if your "huh?" is asking what the heck kit is that, I haven't a clue. :)

41. DK424

DK424 New Member

The "Jerry" is a two-legged, one-man walker type of thing first put out by Nitto in 1984 in their SF3D series, so it can be scratched off the list. A lot of kit parts were used for the patterns (Saturn V exhausts everywhere!). A really cool series that got reissued a few years back. Hobbylink Japan still has some listed, too.

Dan

42. Treadwell

[​IMG]

Pretty neat! Looks like they did indeed use the kettenkrad links down by the feet.

43. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Jay, you might notice that the "cylinders" used behind the oil pans are attached to a block. Two to each one. Try again.

44. Boba Flint

Ah...those things.

Not a good sourece for original parts

45. Treadwell

Agreed...I've already deleted it from the list (which I have yet to put on a website, but soon, soon...).

And thanks, Jamie..I'll keep lookin'.

46. Flintlock

Flintlock Sr Member

I don't mean to sound a little, well... however I sound, I mean well. This thread has been setting pretty much idle because everyone is talking about the same old kits over and over again. The Kettenkrad parts are absolutely, without a doubt, the CORRECT ones. The Kettenkrad has parts for the 5' MF, the TIE Fighter, and probably others as well. I know I'm not doing my part with ID's but I'm a little tied up now... if we expect to make any progress, we need to go forwards.
    Granted, there ARE parts in some of the kits that were used that have not been mentioned yet, but you just have to search for them and use your own discretion. But looming over the same old parts from the same old kits gets a little old.
    Has anyone found anything NEW? a NEW part from an old kit or a NEW kit entirely???

47. Treadwell

There's new, and there's "new to you".

I regret if I've been posting info that's old news to those in the know, but I'm documenting stuff that had yet to be irrevocably confirmed (or at least illustrated) in this thread. No one had posted pics of the "hook things on the front of the bike" or the "track links" before, or if they did, the links are long since broken...and no one had illustrated or explained just where those links were supposed to go. (All this time I had been thinking they'd look like typical tread plating, so I never realized they were those wing doodads next to the engines until I saw the kit parts. So that was a "new discovery", for me at least.)

So for those whose Y knowledge does not extend outside of these "walls", then this is new stuff, or at least long-needed clarifications of old, vague, contradictory and scattered postings.

Just trying to boil it down, spell it out...I hope I'm not too much of a nuisance to the old timers, but I like to think my postings might be helpful to those just joining us. The quicker they're up to speed, the sooner they might find something the rest of us have missed.

That's the goal, anyway! [​IMG]

48. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Flintlock wrote:

"Granted, there ARE parts in some of the kits that were used that have not been mentioned yet, but you just have to search for them and use your own discretion. But looming over the same old parts from the same old kits gets a little old."

I totally agree. I think it's silly and pointless for EVERY part to be pondered over from kits that have long been established as donor kits. Misinformation seems to be running rampant these days. People posting GUESSES and theories. If you don't have the kit in your hands with the CORRECT part in the kit, don't post. It's a waist of time.

"Has anyone found anything NEW? a NEW part from an old kit or a NEW kit entirely???"

What never fails to amaze me is the wide range of kits and kit manufacturers that ILM used. It is totally crazy.

Actually MANY new discoveries have been made and continue to be made.
    Since only a few individuals here actively finance the search for old kits it has become a policy to not publicly post new information.
    Sad and unfortunate, but no one else posts useful info any more, 3-4 individuals shouldn't be expected to carry the full work load of research.
    This subject has been beaten to death several times already.

There is no point in trying to guide Treadwell, he will post freely no mater what the subject content. I find alot of what he posts to be rather amusing these days. Keep it coming Jay!

49. Treadwell

Actually if you re-read the thread you'll find it rife with misinformation. Much of the "well established" information is in your heads, guys, not in this thread--or if it is it's mixed in with dead ends and erroneous info. I'm just trying to separate the good leads from the bad. Naturally, I will not always succeed. (And FWIW, I've been buying kits out the *.) I reiterate that I respect the reasons behind the withholding of info--but to do so and then gain amusement from the resultant stumbles by those without that knowledge is rather perverse.

May I continue to entertain you, as my bumbling has brought a lot of clarifications and new (to the thread) info. As long as that trend continues, I am content to be your jester.

Speaking of wasting time...

50. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

I find it amusing for just that reason. The whole going around in circles. Definitive lists.... crap. Move on already.
    The whole point of this and the other threads is supposed to be the furthered continuation of found donor kits, technique,dimensions,progress etc.
    Not 30+ threads about the various parts on a kettenkrad etc,or "the kit list, version 12.1 has been updated". It's redundant.
    People know about the ESCI 1/9th Kettenkrad. Newbies, buy the kit , open it , get out your reference material and discover what parts were used. (For example Jay don't get bent.)

BTW you wouldn't stumble around so much if you didn't jump the gun as soon as you thought you had discovered something new. I see you making the same mistakes that myself and many other's made early on. Jumping the gun is a big one. That's the main reason much of this thread is misleading. Be 100% positive of part discoveries. Do more home work before you post.

Advice: One of the best things I ever did to figure out what kits were available during ANH for instance. Was to track down as many 1975-60's era, dealer kit catalogs,also actual books on the subject.
    They generally have pictures of all the kits, I have found it very helpful. It takes the guess work out of what was around at the time.