Done / Completed Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 1 TPM Resin Cast Stunt Lightsaber

Dewy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For those that don't know I have been conducting extensive research and development towards accurately recreating the production used stunt lightsabers. My R&D thread can be found here:

Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode 1 Resin Stunt Lightsaber Research

The original stunt props were cast in an off-white polyurethane resin using a mold created from the original metal hero prop. For this project I have created a similar mold using my own personal replica from the recent hero run I worked on with the venerable Anakin Starkiller.

IMG_1334.jpg

Raw casting with threaded rod on top, painted casting without threaded rod on bottom.

The original mold was a cut type mold which resulted in each casting only having a single seam line. I have devoted a lot of time and effort to develop an equivalent mold that, like the original, results in a single seam line running down the "back" of the lightsaber (180° from the red button). Each replica will be pressure cast using a similar off-white polyurethane resin (currently I am using Smooth-on Smooth-Cast 321). Here are some additional examples of the recent castings I have produced:

DSCF4315.jpgDSCF4318.jpgDSCF4321.jpgDSCF4326.jpgIMG_1332.jpg

My original intent was to offer these castings fully painted with an accurate recreation of the fluorescent green aluminum stunt blades used for filming. However, in the research thread it became apparent that many people are interested in unfinished raw castings and may not want stunt blades. As such I wanted to get this interest thread going to see what options people are interested in. First, some disclaimers:

RESIN CASTING DISCLAIMER: Just in case anyone is not familiar with the resin casting process, I want to make it very clear that the process inherently yields flawed results. While I take every effort to produce the best casting possible, the process naturally involves seam lines, bubbles, and other imperfections. As mentioned above I am using a type of mold that should minimize the seam lines and I will be using a pressure pot to minimize the bubbles. However, each raw castings will require some sanding and filling! Furthermore, I am just one man (with a full-time day job), not a production shop. As such, each casting will be handmade and no two castings will be identical.

Here is an example of one of the worst case seam lines (taken at an angle and with lighting intended to accentuate the seam line). This can be removed and become invisible with some time and sanding:
DSCF4327.jpg

AVAILABLE:
  • Raw unpainted resin castingstraight out of the mold with embedded threaded rod
    • First casting = $120 shipped in the contiguous United States (International shipping will have to be handled on a case-by-case basis)
    • Subsequent castings ordered at the same time = $100
    • Castings without embedded threaded rod can be made available upon request!
  • NO LONGER OFFERING PAINTED COMMISSIONS - ADD-ON SERVICE: Full Cleanup and Painting Commission with Accurate Custom Ordered Spray Paints: $150 per saber
    • Price subject to change! This is a pretty time-consuming multi-stage process that adds up to more than a few hours of work per saber. Unfortunately, the only thing batching them together really saves me is having to shake the rattle cans less.
    • Can be finished as a featureless stunt saber upon request
COMING LATER:
  • Painted Stunt Blade: Fluorescent Green Shrink Wrapped Aluminum Tube Stunt Blade: $100 + shipping
    • Features: Aluminum 36" long, 3/4" OD tube, custom machined threaded aluminum insert (to attach to saber), retention set screws, bright green fluorescent paint, and clear shrink wrap
    • Since these are oversize items, it is hard to accurately estimate shipping costs, should be $35 or less for a single blade shipped to most of the contiguous US
  • Unpainted Stunt Blade: $70 + shipping
    • Same aluminum tubing, custom threaded insert, and retention screws as above minus the painting and the shrink wrap
    • Note that bare aluminum tubing often comes with identification markings printed on the outside of the tube, this should be easily removable with sanding (or easily painted over)
    • Since these are oversize items, it is hard to accurately estimate shipping costs, should be $35 or less for a single blade shipped to most of the contiguous US

GAUGING INTEREST:
  • POSSIBLE FUTURE OFFERING Machined Aluminum Emitter Bezel and Steel Fender Washer: Estimated @ $50 to $100
    • For anyone interested in recreating the Prop Store Hero/Stunt saber I am still working with a couple fab shops to get quotes for these. I'm not sure if I will offer these as separate loose parts for people to install or if I will be able to modify the resin castings myself. Regardless, I want to gauge interest based on a conservative price. If there's enough interest I will get formal quotes from shops and work up a prototype to help determine final pricing.

If you are interested, please reply to this thread with what options you are interested in! Thank you all very much!

Raw Casting Interest List
:
Status#NameCommentsConfirmed?Invoiced?
Shipped113doctorwhoNo threaded rodYPaid
Shipped213doctorwhoYPaid
Shipped3DRambo87No threaded rodYPaid
Shipped4DRambo87No threaded rodYPaid
Shipped5DRambo87No threaded rodYPaid
Shipped6DRambo87No threaded rodYPaid
Shipped7teecroozYPaid
Shipped8thd9791YPaid
Shipped9DannLonger Threaded Rod ProtrusionYPaid
Shipped10StevenBillsYPaid
Shipped11StevenBillsNo threaded rodYPaid
Shipped12UnchartedLeatherNo threaded rodYPaid
Shipped13UnchartedLeatherNo threaded rodYPaid
Shipped14JAC5Longer Threaded Rod ProtrusionYPaid
Shipped15JAC5No threaded rodYPaid
Invoice Sent 10/916HalliwaxYSent
Shipped17TK-FettYPaid
Shipped18MasterHurdLonger Threaded Rod ProtrusionYPaid
19NCC1027Longer Threaded Rod Protrusion
20AnthonyD2199

Painted Commission Interest List:
Status#NameCommentsConfirmed?Invoice
Shipped1xsaenzLonger Threaded Rod ProtrusionYPaid
In-work2corliss1No threaded rod
In-work3corliss1Featureless Stunt
4Rachen
5jamiemp

Metal Emitter Parts Interest List:
#Name
1Eruonen
2DRambo87
3kyrack
4Woody
5rockbottom
6jamiemp

Stunt Blade Interest List:
#Name
1Eruonen
2xsaenz
3thd9791
4rockbottom
5TK-Fett
6jamiemp
7JAC5

Last edited:
Interested in two raw castings. I'd like one with the threaded rod and one without the threaded rod. So glad to see this happening!!!

For those that don't know I have been conducting extensive research and development towards accurately recreating the production used stunt lightsabers. My R&D thread can be found here:

The original stunt props were cast in an off-white polyurethane resin using a mold created from the original metal hero prop. For this project I have created a similar mold using my own personal replica from the recent hero run I worked on with the venerable Anakin Starkiller.

View attachment 1732816
Raw casting with threaded rod on top, painted casting without threaded rod on bottom.

The original mold was a cut type mold which resulted in each casting only having a single seam line. I have devoted a lot of time and effort to develop an equivalent mold that, like the original, results in a single seam line running down the "back" of the lightsaber (180° from the red button). Each replica will be pressure cast using a similar off-white polyurethane resin (currently I am using Smooth-on Smooth-Cast 321). Here are some additional examples of the recent castings I have produced:

View attachment 1732815View attachment 1732817View attachment 1732818View attachment 1732819View attachment 1732821

My original intent was to offer these castings fully painted with an accurate recreation of the fluorescent green aluminum stunt blades used for filming. However, in the research thread it became apparent that many people are interested in unfinished raw castings and may not want stunt blades. As such I wanted to get this interest thread going to see what options people are interested in. First, some disclaimers:

RESIN CASTING DISCLAIMER: Just in case anyone is not familiar with the resin casting process, I want to make it very clear that the process inherently yields flawed results. While I take every effort to produce the best casting possible, the process naturally involves seam lines, bubbles, and other imperfections. As mentioned above I am using a type of mold that should minimize the seam lines and I will be using a pressure pot to minimize the bubbles. However, each raw castings will require some sanding and filling! Furthermore, I am just one man (with a full-time day job), not a production shop. As such, each casting will be handmade and no two castings will be identical.

Here is an example of one of the worst case seam lines (taken at an angle and with lighting intended to accentuate the seam line). This can be removed and become invisible with some time and sanding:
View attachment 1732820

GAUGING INTEREST IN THE FOLLOWING OFFERINGS:

Baseline:
  • Raw unpainted resin casting straight out of the mold with embedded threaded rod
    • First casting = $120 shipped in the contiguous United States (International shipping will have to be handled on a case-by-case basis)
Add-ons:
  • Full Cleanup and Painting Commission with Accurate Custom Ordered Spray Paints: Estimated @ ~$150
    • Price subject to change! So far I have only sanded, filled, and painted these one at a time, if enough people are interested in painted castings and it isn't too difficult to batch them together, this may come down. That being said it is a pretty time-consuming multi-stage process that adds up to more than a few hours of work per saber.
  • POSSIBLE FUTURE OFFERING Fluorescent Green Shrink Wrapped Aluminum Tube Stunt Blade: Estimated @ ~$100 to $150
    • For the time being I want to focus on the castings, but I have found a good source for the raw aluminum tube stock and custom machined threaded inserts. I am only planning to offer these fully finished (not as kits), but want to gauge interest assuming they are in the aforementioned $100-$150 price range. If there is enough interest, I will go ahead and order the materials to get a prototype made, at which point I will be able to determine final costs.
  • POSSIBLE FUTURE OFFERING Machined Aluminum Emitter Bezel and Steel Fender Washer: Estimated @ $50 to $100
    • For anyone interested in recreating the Prop Store Hero/Stunt saber I am still working with a couple fab shops to get quotes for these. I'm not sure if I will offer these as separate loose parts for people to install or if I will be able to modify the resin castings myself. Regardless, I want to gauge interest based on a conservative price. If there's enough interest I will get formal quotes from shops and work up a prototype to help determine final pricing.

If you are interested, please reply to this thread with what options you are interested in! Thank you all very much!

View attachment 1732816

View attachment 1732815View attachment 1732817View attachment 1732818View attachment 1732819View attachment 1732821

View attachment 1732820

GAUGING INTEREST IN THE FOLLOWING OFFERINGS:

Baseline:
  • Raw unpainted resin casting straight out of the mold with embedded threaded rod
Add-ons:
  • Full Cleanup and Painting Commission with Accurate Custom Ordered Spray Paints: Estimated @ ~$150
    • Price subject to change! So far I have only sanded, filled, and painted these one at a time, if enough people are interested in painted castings and it isn't too difficult to batch them together, this may come down. That being said it is a pretty time-consuming multi-stage process that adds up to more than a few hours of work per saber.
  • POSSIBLE FUTURE OFFERING Fluorescent Green Shrink Wrapped Aluminum Tube Stunt Blade: Estimated @ ~$100 to $150
    • For the time being I want to focus on the castings, but I have found a good source for the raw aluminum tube stock and custom machined threaded inserts. I am only planning to offer these fully finished (not as kits), but want to gauge interest assuming they are in the aforementioned $100-$150 price range. If there is enough interest, I will go ahead and order the materials to get a prototype made, at which point I will be able to determine final costs.

Interested in 4 Raw unpainted resin casting straight out of the mold WITHOUT embedded threaded rod.

Possible interest in a couple raw unpainted castings with threaded rod as well.

Any plans to cast just the black parts for those of us who'd like to upgrade the black delrin pieces from our Starkiller kits?

Also, count me interested in an aluminum bezel and steel washer.

I'm probably gonna end up getting multiple versions from you before this is over... :lol:

Any plans to cast just the black parts for those of us who'd like to upgrade the black delrin pieces from our Starkiller kits?

Those are a little bit trickier. The hollow centers in the grip and emitter core mean I’ll need a more complex mold. I am doing some development in the background. If I end up making good progress I’ll likely post a separate thread.

Those are a little bit trickier. The hollow centers in the grip and emitter core mean I’ll need a more complex mold. I am doing some development in the background. If I end up making good progress I’ll likely post a separate thread.

Ok that makes sense. It sounds like it would be hard to offer them as "replacement ready." Personally, I can work with them even if you cast them as solid pieces, but I understand not everyone has access to a lathe, so sure, let us know if you figure out a way to make them work!

interested in a resin/with rod and a blade sir!

I am fully aware of the state of resin pulls and I appreciate you putting that in the main post. Not everyone is aware, thank you!

Interested in a raw cast with threaded rod. I might add on a raw cast with no rod but metal cap also.

Last edited:
I'm down for a “Raw unpainted resin casting straight out of the mold with embedded threaded rod”.

Last edited:
Interested in:

1 - Full Cleanup and Painting without threaded rod
1 - Full Cleanup and Painting featureless with threaded rod

Can I sign up for “Raw unpainted resin casting straight out of the mold with embedded threaded rod” thank you!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back