New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

I've been thinking making the garbage chute but I've never scratch built any parts in the past and I'm not sure I'd do a good job. I'd definitely be interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If have never scratchbuild this would be an excellent opportunity to try it! Its very simple. I did mine in a couple of hours:

32308839011_fb528b2323_z.jpg
20170120_200251 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

32051940300_e6bce73c92_z.jpg
20170120_202115 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

I feel your pain, I ordered mine in the first wave and has never moved from Russian customs, Dec 18. Sad Sad I too have been checking both trackers, nothing :unsure

I am tracking it on both,and sadly, still shows as sitting "waiting for release" from Russia,since December 27th. I may have to bite the bullet and find another one as cheap as I can. This would be the first package I didn't receive, and I, as many here, get stuff from all over. I want my Star Destroyer! -kicks rocks-(doesn't cry)

Is it my imagination or is the garbage chute actually much lower than what revell and other people have modeled? In the pictures I'm looking at, it looks like it should go just even with the top of the lower roof of the raised superstructure. Revell and others have it lined up with the upper roof. That is where Zvezda's kit has an blank space, but it looks too high to me. I think it should where the details are below that space. Anyone have thoughts on that? Sorry if this is an old discussion, I'm coming late into the game.

Bill

Is it my imagination or is the garbage chute actually much lower than what revell and other people have modeled? In the pictures I'm looking at, it looks like it should go just even with the top of the lower roof of the raised superstructure. Revell and others have it lined up with the upper roof. That is where Zvezda's kit has an blank space, but it looks too high to me. I think it should where the details are below that space. Anyone have thoughts on that? Sorry if this is an old discussion, I'm coming late into the game.

Bill

I followed the details of the original SD and the shute is right where it should be. Check this pic:

32051290020_5fa893ae18_z.jpg
20170120_191642 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Isd26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the kit part a little more, it may make more sense to just model the whole back wall of the tower base to incorporate the garbage chute as well as some of the smaller details missing from the kit. I'll lay that out and see how difficult that would be. Not a huge part so cosy might be fairly reasonable.

Bill

I would love that too

Chris

I followed the details of the original SD and the shute is right where it should be. Check this pic:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/319/32051290020_5fa893ae18_z.jpg20170120_191642 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

http://www.theforce.net/SWTC/Pix/Xbrooklyn/Isd26.jpg
I see what you're saying, but if you look at this comparison pic, to me it looks like either the superstructure is too short or the chute is too high. The chute should be below, or at least even with the bottom roof section. The yellow is approximately where the blank space is on the Zvezda kit and the chute on the Revell kit.

chute%20comparison_zpsh5ttavdv.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
I see what you're saying, but if you look at this comparison pic, to me it looks like either the superstructure is too short or the chute is too high. The chute should be below, or at least even with the bottom roof section. The yellow is approximately where the blank space is on the Zvezda kit and the chute on the Revell kit.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/chute comparison_zpsh5ttavdv.jpg

Bill

The Zvezda is not the exact copy of the SD showed in the pics. There is variation. If you follow the details on the surface you will find that the shute I made is where its supposed to be. Stop following ONLY the roof line. If you would follow the roof line in the Zvezda the shute would end up ridiculously low. Robiwon also located the shute in the same place I did with a minimal difference.

Hey Joe, don't get me wrong, you did an outstanding job, as did Robiwon. Much better than I could. I was just trying to tie down what is off about the kit. I can't tell if the superstructure is too short or if the tower is off or what. Please don't mistake my research and curiosity as a slam on your work. I just enjoy trying to rectify things when they don't jive. If it's fixable I'll try to, if not then so be it. I think yours rocks.

Bill

It's easy to get into the domino effect. That's where you change one thing that sets off something else that needs to be changed which effects something else that now needs to be changed. As nice as the Zvezda kit is, you would almost have to start from scratch to built a perfect replica.

I marvel at the genius of ILM when they detailed the first Star Destroyer. They could do anything, slap any kit part anywhere (within reason) and make the thing come alive. And it's a powerful image. Such a project - almost impressionistic in nature - may only have taken a month or two. There wasn't a blueprint, just a direction. Replicating that in a physical model would probably take many years. That's why I don't feel too bad if the ZSD isn't perfect. It, along with the Snap Destroyer, do a good job of capturing the feel. So if one wants to assert that the detail differences between the various films' Star Destroyers, why not, part of the fun. On the other hand Star Destroyer *I* make is just as good of a representation of the type in any of the films, and to me they are all one and the same. It's art, in greeblie form.

;)

On the gripping hand, the angle of the bridge is nuts. :D But likely not hard to fix.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back