New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

My tracking is showing it at my post office as of this morning. So provided my wife is home to sign for it when they deliver, I may have it in my grubby little paws this evening after work!!!!

Bill

Last edited:
The working on painting the itty bitty Millennium Falcon.

Surprisingly, it DOES have some surface detail!

Here's what I have so far. Because of its size, don't think I can do much...

Attachments

• IMG_8293.JPG
    IMG_8293.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8295.JPG
    IMG_8295.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 141
Got mine today. It took just over 2 weeks, and almost all of that was getting from origin to New York. Got to NY on the 25th, and at my house, SoCal, today. Ordered on the 12th. Got the original box, which was put into a kind of shipping back that seemed perfectly shaped and sized for the ginormous box. A little scuffing and wear, but no dents or anything. Quite the nerdgasm. And I'm not even a huge fan of the SD--just enough to jump on this after coming to the conclusion that it may never wind up "all over" like the Bandai stuff. BTW, interestingly enough, the USPS tracking info says (as the most recent update) it arrived at "the unit" in Long Beach at 3:47 AM--not that it's at the house this afternoon. Maybe there is no bar code that the driver can scan and they won't enter anything final until the driver gets back.
Mike Todd

Woo-hoo!!!

Well, I finally got my Zvezda Star Destroyer in and man am I happy! This is a really nice and good sized kit. There are a few weak spots that I intend to fix via either creating some Shapeways parts and/or scratch building, but nothing that is too complicated. I'd started with the "domes" as you can see above and I'll revisit that whenever I get time. But the other major part I feel is lacking in the kit are the main engine bells. It's close but not quite right. So I've started with the design work. Pretty simple shapes actually. I do have one question though to get you guys opinions. The prop had large light fixtures fitted inside the bells. The kit maker decided to somewhat copy the ridged detail like on the secondary bells. I am not sure which would be the best way to go, try to replicate the light fixture or just go with how the kit was done? What say ye?

BTW, I realize the edge of the nozzles seem a little too thick but it is unfortunately the minimum thickness that Shapeways will allow. It is actually however slightly thinner than the kit's bells so in that way it's better. Just not perfect.

BELLS%20CROPPED_zps7hh8nlyw.jpg

BELLS2%20cropped_zpskrsucdva.jpg

Actual movie prop.

KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-005_zpsrloizu2k.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
I was thinking more about the engine bells and I think for mine I'm going to make the back of the bells to accept the diameter of tubing I'll use for my engine lights. If anyone wishes some with the ridges detail or a different diameter hole it would be easy enough to modify the model to print either way.

Now I want to address the secondary bells and possibly the missing piping details that go above and below the outer main bells. So much detailing potential with this kit. I love it!

Bill

I am tracking it on both,and sadly, still shows as sitting "waiting for release" from Russia,since December 27th. I may have to bite the bullet and find another one as cheap as I can. This would be the first package I didn't receive, and I, as many here, get stuff from all over. I want my Star Destroyer! -kicks rocks-(doesn't cry)

Just curious, are you tracking it throuth the Russian Post site, or USPS? Once I ran the tracking number through USPS I got better results.

Robert

A little more done. Playing with secondary engine bells. Please forgive my ignorance on the actual names and functions of these parts. Just saying what I think they are. Anyway, having fun here! These appear to have an odd pattern and it looks like they aren't all the same. I think for my sake I'll make them all alike. I can't tell from the pics if they were originally all alike and pieces fell off, or if they actually made them different.

SECONDARY%20BELLS%201%20CROPPED_zpspnsl66w1.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
IIRC the four smaller engines were actually part of the hyperdrive system. Those three huge bells are the sublights...note they are at full thrust when Vader is in pursuit of Leia's ship in the ANH, while the smaller drives are off line...

6RfX2zp.jpg

A little more done. Playing with secondary engine bells. Please forgive my ignorance on the actual names and functions of these parts. Just saying what I think they are. Anyway, having fun here! These appear to have an odd pattern and it looks like they aren't all the same. I think for my sake I'll make them all alike. I can't tell from the pics if they were originally all alike and pieces fell off, or if they actually made them different.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/SECONDARY BELLS 1 CROPPED_zpspnsl66w1.jpg

Bill

Any chance you might tackle the garbage chute? I would jump on that in a second!
802515374f05476e9a6287f65281b3f2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any chance you might tackle the garbage chute? I would jump on that in a second!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170201/802515374f05476e9a6287f65281b3f2.jpg

I think that should be simple enough. I'll get to measuring and studying reference shots. If you have details on what the prop is really like anything would help. I'll let you know how it goes. I guess I really should start my own build thread now that I have the kit.

Bill

That's kind of what I thought but hey, modeling in 3d would be fun and for those not wanting to tackle it I guess could be a time-saver. Who am I to judge.

Bill

IIRC the four smaller engines were actually part of the hyperdrive system. Those three huge bells are the sublights...note they are at full thrust when Vader is in pursuit of Leia's ship in the ANH, while the smaller drives are off line...

http://i.imgur.com/6RfX2zp.jpg
Hyperdrives aren't really engines in a traditional sense, they are not a thrust/propulsion engine.

I believe those are simply secondary engines used for Ludicrous Speed!

Looking at the kit part a little more, it may make more sense to just model the whole back wall of the tower base to incorporate the garbage chute as well as some of the smaller details missing from the kit. I'll lay that out and see how difficult that would be. Not a huge part so cosy might be fairly reasonable.

Bill

Looking at the kit part a little more, it may make more sense to just model the whole back wall of the tower base to incorporate the garbage chute as well as some of the smaller details missing from the kit. I'll lay that out and see how difficult that would be. Not a huge part so cosy might be fairly reasonable.

Bill

An excellent idea !

Bill

I've been thinking making the garbage chute but I've never scratch built any parts in the past and I'm not sure I'd do a good job. I'd definitely be interested.

Hey guys, mAybe someone can help me out. I grabbed the back wall of the tower to start measuring and laying out, but I forgot to grab the side wall to see how they fit. The back wall has a small recessed lip along the sides. Does the back wall fit on top of the side walls or does it sit between them? I assume it goes on top since it has a lip but I want to be certain. I can wait til I can go get the other parts but I'd like to get a good start on this this morning.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back