New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

ANH-D-ring-double-rivet-3.jpg

ANH-D-ring-double-rivet.jpg

Now available at WannaWanga.com:
https://wannawanga.com/products/d-ring-with-clip/

Jim,

Per our previous discussion, I wanted to share this fantastic image with the rest of the community here. I downloaded your original image and brought it into Photoshop for a full restoration removing every red overspray blemish, the water stain on the left side and every spec of dirt (except what is found on Mark's costume). I also color corrected it from it's reddish hue back to true black and white as well as lightly sharpening it. Hope you all find this helpful for your personal archives.

- Nate

ANH Graflex - Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker (7).jpg

Sooooo is anyone gonna tackle an ANH with the two mystery rivets between the grips? :)

I'd like to see that concept realized along with the new two-rivet D-Ring as a sort of "Ultimate Edition" that could be offered as a completed kit.

Late to the party......just got through all 40 pages last night! Wow! What a find! I sure am glad I decided to do a TFA/TLJ Graflex first before moving on to the ANH and ESB versions.

Did I miss something? I scrolled back to where we started talking about the two mystery rivets between the grips and there appear to be two photos of Mark holding the saber that way. One shot we see them, then another shot they're not there.

Did I miss something? I scrolled back to where we started talking about the two mystery rivets between the grips and there appear to be two photos of Mark holding the saber that way. One shot we see them, then another shot they're not there.

That side of the lower half is exceptionally rare in terms of visibility. I believe the mystery rivets are visible only in that first shot that they were noticed in, and then can be barely glimpsed in a similar shot from the same photo session with Hamill. The mystery rivets MIGHT be glimpsed in an actual shot in the film (during the remote training scene), but the shot is full of motion blur, and is hardly conclusive.

Something I recently noticed while tinkering with my TGS build:

The ANH hero—at least the one seen in the publicity photos—does not appear to have the rectangular washer which sits between the clamp lever and the sidebar. The ESB hero(es), on the other hand, DO have the washer. After I removed the washer on my ANH TGS, I found that the clamp no longer clamped so tightly onto the bottom tube without the extra tension which the washer provided. So, I had to give the clamp lever one more 360-degree turn to ensure that the clamp band had a tight fit on the upper and lower halves. However, this resulted in the tip of the lever screw peeking out of the sidebar on the other side of the clamp, rather than sitting flush (or slightly below the surface of the sidebar).

Upon examining the toe pic, I can see what appears to be the tip of the lever screw peeking out of the upper sidebar. So, this would be the accurate ANH configuration: No washer, with the lever screw protruding from the sidebar. I’m still on the fence about the bubblestrip being pinched between the clamp lips, or (more securely) slid underneath them, as with the later iterations.

Took me a while to realize that Roy was finished with the new D ring clip, but just ordered a couple!

Soon as they get here I'll install one!

I just installed the grips on my new bottom half rom TGS. Just waiting on the new d-ring from Roy, which should be arriving in the next few days. After that, I'll have both one- and two-riveted bottom halves to swap out, if and when new information comes to light.

Have you considered beveled sides, as we see it on both the Elsetree Graflex and the ESB/RotJ Vader MPP?

I currently have a Roman's strip in my TGS, so it just slides into the clamp (with a little help from double-sided tape shims), so no need to bevel. But on a vintage strip, yeah, that would probably be the way to go.

I currently have a Roman's strip in my TGS, so it just slides into the clamp (with a little help from double-sided tape shims), so no need to bevel. But on a vintage strip, yeah, that would probably be the way to go.

With that in mind, who makes an appropriate vintage style bubblestrip with the correct dimensions? Given that the Elstree and the Vader BOTH have beveled edges, this should take precedent over other theoretical configurations.

That's what id want for mine at least

I’ve only used a few bubblestrips—the old Blast-Tech, Roman’s (clear, for Luke ANH), and Roy’s (frosted, for Vader and Obi-Wan).

The thing with all of the replica strips I’ve seen is that they’re already designed to slide into a clamp, and are also usually thin enough to allow for wiggle-room, in order to accommodate the switches used in in FX builds. I believe the Rebelscum replica strips are still regarded as the best, but I dunno offhand whether they need to be shaved down to fit in a clamp or not.

I reckon somebody's gonna have to make a new mold! I just KNOW there's plenty of y'all out there who haven't TOUCHED your real Exactras!

Why can't it be real? He was there. We weren't. You just have to learn to wrap your heads around the fact that there ARE people out there who know more than you do. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back