New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

dcarty

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Superglue was new in the 70's (I also remember the Krazy Glue commercials cementing the guy's hard hat to an I beam then letting him hang from the beam). There's an interview with, IIRC, Lorne Peterson where he describes introducing the crew at ILM to superglue as he was familiar with it from industrial use and it was just becoming available to the consumer market.

That said, of the Graflexes I own some ears are tighter than others and I find gently compressing the flanges where the pin runs through can do the trick as well.
 

Dann

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That looks great! Your homemade version looks really nice, too, you almost didn't even need to get Roy's!
 

Gregatron

Sr Member
Received and installed Roy’s new d-ring. It’s a great product, and the final result matches the toe pic quite nicely, even If we can’t quite confirm whether the original prop had two rivets or not.
 

Gregatron

Sr Member
Just for funzies, I rotated the upper half on my TGS for some photos. I should again point out that removing the clamp lever washer and giving the lever that extra turn produces an exact match with the toe pic. That little nub of the lever screw sticks out of the upper sidebar, and the lever closes most “comfortably” in the semi-open position we’ve become used to seeing in the ANH prop. You can still force the lever all the way closed, but it’s tough.

1027591


1027592
 

Gregatron

Sr Member
Gotta say that I’m getting used to the two-rivet clip, too. Interesting that the earliest replicas and whatnot indicated two rivets, since people had scant ANH reference back in the day, and so were retroactively applying the ESB prop’s use of two rivets on the Kobold clip. Then, someone came up with the notion of a single rivet (presumably because two would seem a bit crowded on the smaller ANH clip), and pretty much every licensed and fan replica over the past decade-plus has stuck with that.

And now we’ve come full circle!
 

Gregatron

Sr Member
Also, because of my discovery regarding the clamp washer and the lever, I’m now convinced that the bubbles were indeed beveled and slid into the clamp, rather than being pinched between the clamp teeth (and the lever being unable to fully close because of it).
 

dcarty

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Also, because of my discovery regarding the clamp washer and the lever, I’m now convinced that the bubbles were indeed beveled and slid into the clamp, rather than being pinched between the clamp teeth (and the lever being unable to fully close because of it).
I'm doing my new build this way (tore apart the old one). I've been experimenting with the bevel on the eBay bubble piece that broke.
 

dcarty

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Like a lot of things Star Wars it's a bit of futz around with it until it fits. I'm making a belt hanger with a TGS 2 and the fit is a lot looser than it is with my authentic Folmer. Here it is in the TGS. I had to center the strip so it would close evenly. I shaved off a bit of the top edge with a Dremel and a teardrop bit.

1027813



Vintage Folmer and Exactra:

1027818
 
Last edited:

dcarty

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did a bit more messing around as I was jonesing to finish my ANH belt hanger. I've used my Rebelscum bubble strip to finish this off. I just took a file and knocked off the edge of the strip and was able to get a tight fit. I can still close the clamp lever all the way but it's a fight to do so. This is the test run for an all-vintage Folmer build. TGS2 tarted up with vintage Graflex guts, ears, tab and button.

1029906




1029908
DSC_0017e.jpg
 

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It makes sense to me because I have always seen bubble strip material poking out from underneath the clamp edges, as if it were skinny enough to slide in. It ALSO seemed like the bubble strip sat flush with the clamp's surface.

Beveled edges would do just that.
 

Gregatron

Sr Member
Makes sense. I see no logic in literally clamping the strip between the teeth when they could have just shaved the strip down to get it to slide into the clamp. And, as noted, the washer-less clamp already accounts for the lever sticking out the way it does in the reference.
 

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My immediate thought when this was found was that this is the bubble strip from the original hero (s) and it ended up in this prototype. Hard to verify, just a gut feeling since we don't see many duplicates of real prop parts floating around and we know props were disassembled and cannabalized for future needed props
 
Top