New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Skelatorious, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Skelatorious

Skelatorious New Member

A great documentary of the studios as a whole. Of course Star Wars gets a decent amount of discussion. The son of a previous studio manager during its hey-day (Andrew Mitchell) found a discarded prop when Star Wars was wrapping.

This is discusssd just after the 26min mark.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. joberg

joberg Master Member

Great vid for sure; TFS with us Skelatorious(y)

3. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png

Grip residue?:
    10.png

4. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is this Andrew guy the same person who tried to pass of a fake Luke ROTJ reveal saber as production made? If so I'd take any claim he makes with a giant grain of salt.

halliwax and thd9791 like this.
  5. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*, that top has been demolished!

I will say the bubble strip thats too wide for the clamp to close is neat, but I can't figure out whats happening with that D ring.

6. thd9791

more details

2 rivets on a D ring clip
    Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 6.03.57 PM.png
    Leftover superglue from T tracks
    Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 6.04.38 PM.png

Concord37 and halliwax like this.
  7. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Hmmm, looks like an Early Folmer Glass Eye and Red-Button.

8. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Well, he got two movie names wrong in the 6 minutes of the video that I watched, so, I'd say definitely add salt! ;)

That X-wing though!!! I thought my appliance box X-wing was neat, how cool would a real one have been to play in!!!

IronDestinyProps likes this.
  9. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Haven’t watched the video but nearly had a heart attack when I saw the d ring!!

Then saw the posts about this guys past history... not cool

roygilsing and AnubisGuard like this.
  10. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

11. halliwax

Idk... watching this. The guy has pictures of himself playing on all the props..

I also see crap on the lower tube.. I have a gut feeling this is real...

Maybe I WANT it to be real....

AnubisGuard and Blue Harvest like this.
  12. halliwax

13. halliwax

Also looks like something under the bubble strip..

Obiflex and AnubisGuard like this.
  14. BlandoCalrssian

BlandoCalrssian Member

Really hoping its not real, thats a lot of Graflex bottoms that cant be undrilled

AnubisGuard likes this.
  15. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, it pretty much lines up with the Empire of Dreams blurry footage I posted a while ago. Off-center clip, which is why I always told people it was a mistake to drill their flash until better reference was available.

I’m not saying this is correct, just gives me further pause to not drill my vintage flashes until better reference is available.

2DEF0311-986A-4B47-9831-E9819917F8EA.jpeg

16. halliwax

Dang.. that’s a tough blur lol

17. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lol, maybe someone can embed the video from the Facebook Graflex Addicts Group. The video in motion and there is an attempt at a sharpening that both still makes me to believe it was off center.

IronDestinyProps and halliwax like this.
  18. BlandoCalrssian

BlandoCalrssian Member

Anyone else now see two rivets/screws on the toe pic saber?
    IMG_1466.JPG

mugatu likes this.
  19. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

Wow, I have a feeling that is a real prop that he found in the mud on the lot. Notice how the lever isn't closed much at all and the 7 bubble LED is quite yellowed. In many photo's, Luke's Graflex has a lever that is barely closed! I wonder if there's 7 strips of glue residue on it???

20. THX1138

21. THX1138

Above is a full scan of my original copy of the "Toe Pic" picture.

Thought I'd post it in this thread for those that may not have a copy of it.

Notice the lever!

- Jim

22. THX1138

Notice the lever in this photo, as well.... Jul19_01.JPG

halliwax likes this.
  23. THX1138

Another "lever" photo... homestead.jpg

halliwax likes this.
  24. halliwax

Thank you jim, I for one didn’t have a copy of it that big! Thank you very much!

Aison and IronDestinyProps like this.
  25. halliwax

When Luke is with obi wan at the jaws BBQ you can see the lever isn’t closed, and even 1 grip missing

26. steven giunta

steven giunta Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When I first saw the Kurtz sabers and recently the roger Christian saber I was immediately sceptical. They just didn’t look right,but when I saw this one the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.i think this is tge real deal,everything about it looks right. Tge bubble strip looks like it’s been in there for 40 years,if this was is a fake this guy did a better job then roger Christian.
    Also does anybody know if the folmer with patent ever had that style of red button?i have a New York folmer with that style button but my folmer with patent came with the regular red button.

halliwax likes this.
  27. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

Holy crap. I've got a feeling about this one. That D-ring is quite different than anything I've seen before, two rivets is what I see. He doesn't trigger the BS alarms, probably because he's not trying to sell it, he's just telling a story.

IronDestinyProps and halliwax like this.
  28. halliwax

Exactly! His photos on him all over the props, his dads huge connection... friendship with Harrison ford.. I’m a believer...

29. halliwax

Eerrrrr a little clearer photos!! Man!!

30. thd9791

I want to know what happened to crush the top of the graflex on both corners

Even if they did rivet the ANH saber twice, I get the feeling they built a few heros possibly with different hardware or something. That wasn't the part that had to be the same on them all, who'd pay attention to the D ring? cough cough

31. thd9791

Look for any remnants of the serial number of the Bapty photo!!!

halliwax likes this.
  32. s2jesse

s2jesse Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

here is a collage of enhanced d rings
    drings.jpg drings.jpg

33. halliwax

That’s what I’m saying... if we could get more photos maybe we can start connecting the dots

Can you imagine.. this is probably the only remaining graflex from ANH in existence!!

34. halliwax

redbutton, AnubisGuard and s2jesse like this.
  35. halliwax

Very tall D ring!!

36. Drew Baker

Drew Baker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate you sharing it with us.

With that scan it's easy to tell myself I see highlights where a pair of rivets would be.

Attached Files:

37. Doaln

Doaln New Member

I'm looking forward to more experts weighing in and someone actually examining this in person. It would be a remarkable find after all this time!

38. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

I agree. Something about it feels real, in a way that the Christian and Kurtz sabers never did.

Hard to say why. Maybe because it's in such terrible condition and there's details like the double rivets that are so far off of "known" "truth" about the prop that it's hard to imagine somebody faking it. Like, if it were inauthentic you'd expect the forger to put more care into matching the details we expect.

Exciting times here.

roygilsing likes this.
  39. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

I thought so too at first, but I think it's rust. Look at the end-on view: there's not enough thickness under the plastic bubble strip for there to be a card or anything else.

halliwax likes this.
  40. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

That second highlight looks more to me like an optical illusion created by the both the d-ring and the edge of the bottom tube reflecting light, with empty space in-between them.

And I was under the impression that Roy’s CAD perspective matching pretty definitively confirmed the centered d-ring. There’s also the leading theory of the Graflex case (or similar) d-ring bracket, which would have had a single, central rivet hole, rather than two.

Not to say that this isn’t a production-made piece, but we shouldn’t immediately start scrapping our bottom halves and trying to replicate this new variant. It may well just be that—a variant. There’s some indication that a few heroes were made and used for the production. Maybe the one seen in the publicity photos (and some scenes) used a Graflex case’s d-ring/bracket, and this other variant used a quick-and-dirty handmade bracket with two rivets.

The early Folmer-style button also raises questions. As does the fact that this was simply tossed away as trash, rather than being taken home by a member of the production or returned to Bapty’s. Perhaps this was one of the several Graflexes which Christian found, but served as a prototype, which was then discarded after the actual hero prop(s) was constructed. The toe pic saber has the full-knurled red button, and, based on Roy’s CAD work, a centered d-ring.

Question is—does the onscreen “lever-out” prop have a thin-knurled button and an off-center d-ring? Because, at the very least, there seems to be both “lever-in” and “lever-out” versions of the prop seen onscreen. One prop tweaked between scenes, or two different heroes?

41. halliwax

The pictures of him as little boy playing on all the broken and abandon props

His dad being the manager.. him not trying to sell this lightsaber but just sharing this story of it..

This is screaming real to me...

Your absolutely right! Nothing under the strip

Heck it could be 40 year old mud!

IMG_8361.jpg

42. halliwax

This is why I’m curious about the lower tube have glue residue on it.. did this thing once have grips on it

It has a bubble strip, I wouldn’t put it past it being a completed flash.. has it seen screen time? Who knows, hopefully the new photos will shed some light

We have heard by someone, I believe it was roger.. who said all the d rings randomly came out of the tool box of his friends shop he built the graflex in

This thing still came out of the scrap pile with all the other pieces, this has more lineage to the film then what Kurtz or Christian has ever proven

As for everyone in fear of the missing bunny ears and crunched S curve, who’s to say it didn’t get them damage in the junk pile it was thrown in

I live a very small and quiet life... when stuff like this happens.. I won’t sleep at all tonight...

roygilsing and mugatu like this.
  43. halliwax

I still think the lever can close more then what is seen in this photo.. looks like there’s enough room for it to close alittle more

IMG_8362.jpg

44. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Question then is how trimmed the bubble strip is, since it obviously isn’t sliding out with the lever that far open. Maybe it was glued in?

45. halliwax

Anything is possible, it’s so exciting! Where the hell is seth?!

46. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

We should get Seth and Roy both in on this. Maybe Roy could do some CAD research using these new images and see how it lines up.

That thin-strip knurled button really makes me doubt that this was a screenused piece, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t production made.

And, not to cast accusations, but there’s still the possibility that it’s a fake. I mean, if Kurtz—THE PRODUCER OF THE MOVIE—could sell fakes (to say nothing of a Christian, who supposedly built the actual screenused props), then that means anyone able to do a little research could, too. Especially if you have a very believable story as to how it came into your possession. Just pull out some old photos, find a rusty Graflex, stick a bubble-strip in, attach a d-ring, and bingo. That doesn’t seem to be the case, here, but you never do know.

47. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

I dunno! I texted him. No reply so far.

48. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Oh, and no hint of tape on that clamp!

roygilsing and AnubisGuard like this.
  49. Dalziel44

Dalziel44 New Member

Just what I was thinking.

50. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

We know they used the thin knurl on the stunt saber, though, so they definitely had some lying around, and for sure put one on screen – albeit not as part of the hero (that we know of). I'm not as doubtful.