New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

0BC485ED-D13C-4DCB-B3F1-B76C929A9D4B.jpeg
Was looking around on google and came across this.was a story about some kids visiting the Elstree set during filming. I can’t see the graflex to well on my phone,not sure if it’s gonna be clearer on a computer

Sorry I didn't make my 70's welding ref clear. I was just pointing out that mig/tig was not readily available then & that stick welding (aka MMA) would not have been delicate enough (as you pointed out) but gas welding was a mainstay for this gauge of material. I didn't mean that I thought this joint is a weld.

It's Not welded it's Brased (aka 'brazed'). Brass soldered, melted brass not lead. You need oxy-acetylene, oxy-propane or oxy-MAP gas equipment to be able to get enough heat to melt the brasing rod (red heat). Flux (& goggles) is also needed.

Oxy-Acetylene is what I was referring to when I said that the deformation could've come from heating the flash for "welding" that washer to it.

I've taken time off from working in movies to take welding courses, and the first thing we learned was OAW (Oxy-Acetylene Welding). So that's what I pictured in my head, someone with a welding torch, perhaps not knowing the flash is plated brass, using too much heat to try to weld that washer in place.

Oxy-Acetylene is what I was referring to when I said that the deformation could've come from heating the flash for "welding" that washer to it.

I've taken time off from working in movies to take welding courses, and the first thing we learned was OAW (Oxy-Acetylene Welding). So that's what I pictured in my head, someone with a welding torch, perhaps not knowing the flash is plated brass, using too much heat to try to weld that washer in place.

That's what I thought as well. The first time I worked on a cracked some 20 odd years ago, I thought I was working with stainless steel

From my experience of brazing all sorts of types of metal in varying thicknesses & on this scale this joint was made by some who knows how to braze, it's neatly done & not overheated - you do have to get both parts to be joined to a good red heat.

1st time I saw this hilt (in the video) I too thought, that's heat damage. The deformation is definitely mechanical, & deliberate.

Y'all know how I feel about Roger Christian. Totally untrustworthy. I don't think I could believe anything that comes out of his mouth regarding these props, not anymore.

I don’t believe a single thing Christian says anymore.

I just learned that production designer Roger Christian is the same Roger Christian who directed Battlefield Earth.

I feel like this explains some things, although which things exactly are up for debate...

I know, right? I was re-reading Roger Ebert's excellent review when he name-dropped the director. I thought there was no way, so I ran off to Wikipedia to check, and sure enough!

Having any connection to that train wreck seriously damages your movie street cred as it is. To have been in charge of it and made those decisions...man.

Wouldn't we all keep that sorta thing quiet?:D:lol:

"I'm beloved for my contributions to Star Wars and Alien. I'll make it big as a science fiction film director!"

[one box office bomb later]

"I'm beloved for my contributions to Star Wars and Alien. Maybe those rubes will buy some fakes."

Hi all,

I finally had some time to do my perspective matching and reverse engineering tricks with the Elstree saber information.

First, I checked my current ANH D-ring and clip on the old promo pictures. They still seem to be matching nicely!

Hero-promo-1.jpg

Hero-promo-2.jpg

Then I created the Elstree saber D-ring in CAD. I found out that it's the EXACT SAME SIZE RING as on the hero prop.
So my current D-ring matches perfectly (I mean the ring itself).
The rivet heads are 6.0mm diameter (the same as my 3mm rivets).

elstree-01.jpg

elstree-02.jpg

Then I tried to match this Elstree D-ring and bracket combo on the promo pics. As predicted: no match.

Hero-promo-3.jpg

Hero-promo-4.jpg

Hero-promo-6.jpg

Then I tried a mix between the two brackets: a longer bracket with two 3mm pop-rivets.

Hero-promo-5.jpg

Hero-belthanger.jpg

ANH-hero.jpg

So, my conclusions are:
  • the hero belt-hanger had a longer bracket than the Elstree saber (we knew that already!)
  • my D-ring size is spot on!
  • my current bracket (or clip) is very close, but could be little shorter (the ring is inside the Graflex diameter)
  • a double rivet assembly is very probable. The toe-pic MIGHT show the gloss of two rivet heads. With the Elstree as a reference I think it's VERY likely.
I am now thinking of changing my ANH clips to a double rivet version. And in aluminium.
What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back