New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

Bare with me on this. To my eye, the shape of the head looks far more rounded than a pop rivet. I’m no expert on rivets but the 3mm ones I have are very ‘flat’ rather than the rounded Phillips screw of a similar size.

View attachment 1050694

There are many different pop rivet heads. I've seen flat, rounded and very round variations.
But I'm curious how a very small rivet might look.

I also considered screws, but for now I still think those are round rivet holes I see. I was hoping this discussion would not happen. [emoji37]

Last edited:
There are many different pop rivet heads. I've seen flat, rounded and very round variations.
Indeed there are. I’m just saying what I think I see.

Certainly would be good to try different things. Perhaps someone can offer their Graflex up for the sacrifice?

Last edited:
But I'm curious how a very small rivet might look.

I also considered screws, but for now I still think those are round rivet holes I see. I was hoping this discussion would not happen. [emoji37]

The accuracy gods must be appeased!

I love it, a new rivets vs. screws debate! If I unfocus my eyes, I can almost convince myself that they're square drive, but I'd lean towards rivets.

Patience...all our answers will be revealed in time.

The original hilt may yet be rediscovered in a production crew member’s storage locker...purportedly long forgotten since 1976 / 1977...and on the side of the hilt? No, not pop rivets my friends. A pair of “Robertson” screws will be declared.

Yes, “Robertson” screws...

Last edited:
Remind me guys, was the saber in question, used in filming?

If you're referring to the publicity photo saber, that seems very likely, given the wonky clamp lever and other details. The only apparent difference to the onscreen hero(es) is the upper half of the flash being rotated.

Meanwhile, certain tells indicate that the Elstree saber never made it onscreen, and that it may have been an early, failed attempt at an FX stunt. However, it has served as something of a theoretical Rosetta Stone for details on the screenused heroes (two rivet in D-ring bracket, angled sides on Exactra bubblestrip, no circuit card under strip).

Playing around with the lighting and exposure on the photo. Hard to tell but they very well could be Robertson screws.. can see the flat on the bottom..
20190825_221919.jpg

Have to agree, Roger has not been a very reliable source in the past as many in the community have already pointed out. I dearly hope the original hero flashgun may still appear in the wild soon or whoever may own it come forward and share the long awaited "mystery" details with the prop community!

Robertson screws weren't that common here in the UK in the 70's. How the props were built makes it unlikely to me that they bothered to source some, rather than use either rivets or screws, that were right there to hand

Robertson screws weren't that common here in the UK in the 70's. How the props were built makes it unlikely to me that they bothered to source some, rather than use either rivets or screws, that were right there to hand

Agreed - I’ve never come across them in the UK. First time I noticed/saw them was on roger’s Lightsaber. They’re a very uncommon screw.

Rivets, BA and Self Tappers would be readily available.

Remember, too, that we know the ESB sabers used rivets for the Kobold clips—rivets which appear to be the same size and shape as the fasteners on the ANH d-ring clip. It’s not a huge leap to make that they used the same method—rivets—to attach the brackets on both films, but gussied up the look of the bracket on the sequel by using the found Kobold part.

Agreed - I’ve never come across them in the UK. First time I noticed/saw them was on roger’s Lightsaber. They’re a very uncommon screw.

Uncommon? Nonsense! They're the only woodscrew used by true Canadians!

Of course, ANH wasn't filmed in Canada, so...

Uncommon? Nonsense! They're the only woodscrew used by true Canadians!

Of course, ANH wasn't filmed in Canada, so...

I don't know about other UK chaps - but Ive never seen them or noticed them before. On the other hand im sure every uk household has an old box of screws which contain random BA screws, poppers and self tappers. Perhaps it was used? But I find it hard to believe.

I was sort of joking. I'm a Canadian who grew up in the UK and currently lives here.

Robertson/square recess wood and metal screws are very common in Canada. They're fairly non-existent everywhere else, despite being an incredibly good design.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back