New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

Shouldnt they be here?

BDD0C17F-A7B6-444F-A3A3-BA1EB6ED005F.jpeg

Do we have any evidence at all that the toe pic saber was used during production in any of the scenes in the movie?

I think it’s safe to say it was used because the of not closed lever, and the wide bubble strip

I think the toe pic and the landspeeder scene with Lucas are the same saber, along with possibly the sandcrawler scene

But the sand crawler seen its missing a track, so they probably had to re glue it on

I think it’s safe to say it was used because the of not closed lever, and the wide bubble strip

Interesting.

Looking at the photos back in post #78 (New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.) it looks like the Elstree has/would have had both those characteristics. So what might have been diagnostic before could now just be an instance of whoever in production was setting these up doing something wonky with all the clamp levers, rather than using their natural closed position.

Or have I misunderstood something?

Last edited:
Interesting.

Looking at the photos back in post #78 (New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.) it looks like the Elstree has/would have had both those characteristics. So what might have been diagnostic before could now just be another instance of whoever in production was setting these up was doing something wonky with all the clamp levers, rather than using their natural closed position.

Or have I misunderstood something?

The impression I get, as a largely passive observer of these saber discoveries, is that a lot of our analysis of the ANH saber rests on the understanding of ANH as a low-budget production that couldn't afford multiple hero props, proper stunt props, etc etc.

It is an assumption though. (Albeit one with some evidence, e.g. the crummy quality of things like Vader's helmet when compared with later movies). Throw that assumption out and we may not know as much as we think.

As far as we know, there were only single copies of certain key props, like the live-fire Solo blaster. The Greedo killer only came later, in reshoots, remember. And there were resin castings for the Merr-Sonns and whatnot. But, apparently, only one Solo blaster used in the holster and for live fire.

It's not that much of a stretch to say that there may have only been one hero Graflex. MAYBE two. It's SOP to have backups of key props on films, but sometimes that's not the case. I don't think Roger Christian can be considered reliable when it comes to the details and numbers of the props.

If we did add those two mystery rivets in between those two t-tracks like on the toe pic saber, would we do that before or after we put the t-track on?

Looks like I'm gonna have to get some acetone or something to remove my grips so I can install them over the rivets.

And it should also be noted that TGS is toying around with offering "114A/63" stamped clamp sidebars to match the top-view reference photo of (presumably) the toe-pic saber.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back