My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Re: LEIA ADDED! Blasters on the bench: Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

Can someone help me confirm the fin doubt on the grill?

600px-SW-Vostokpistol.jpg

I believe the for forward piece that completely surrounds the barrel is a complete tomtit piece (14 raised grills). I believe the remain section is a hell piece that is made up of the lower 8 raised grills of a tomtit piece (the top 6 grills have been removed).

Can anyone confirm?

600px-SW-Vostokpistol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: LEIA ADDED! Blasters on the bench: Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

Can someone help me confirm the fin doubt on the grill?

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/7/70/SW-Vostokpistol.jpg/600px-SW-Vostokpistol.jpg

I believe the for forward piece that completely surrounds the barrel is a complete tomtit piece (14 raised grills). I believe the remain section is a hell piece that is made up of the lower 8 raised grills of a tomtit piece (the top 6 grills have been removed).

Can anyone confirm?

Yep. I put my tomtit up to it and you are correct.

This one seems to have 9

DefROTJ.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. There seems to be an extra ridge at the end so I counted wrong. 8 on this one as well.

DefROTJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is where I am at with the build:

IMG_2527.jpg

I still need to find some screws for the grips but that will be the last thing I do. Right now I just have a layer of filler primer as i wanted to see how the clean up went. The toughest part was cutting out the area where the hammer is. Its came out pretty decent considering I freehanded it with a dremel. I also had a hard time getting Bondo to adhere to this material. I tried 2 types. I finally just used super glue to fill the small air bubbles.

The little release toward the front went on crooked. I may try and fix it. I most likely will have to slice it off with an exacto knife.

I will most likely cut off the barrel where it meets the body so that I can slip on the grill. the cut will be hidden under the grill so it should not be an issue.

I am still looking for something good to use for an adapter to add the muzzle.

The grips are cast in black plastic so I do not have to paint them.

Hm... Then any drilling would be a pain in the butt to ensure straightness. Sadly, that's the best way to ensure strength...

--Jonah

The only thing not straight is the release switch on the front and that's only because I glued it on crooked. Otherwise it is a great cast. However it is quie easy to drill. I drilled out the muzzle and used it on my other A New Hope version. And as mentioned, I dremmeled out the hammer well.

Maybe drill out the barrel back into the main body before you cut it off. Run some tubing through to act as a spine to keep the barrel from getting snapped off and also to mount the muzzle on at the other end...

--Jonah

Yes, that's a good idea. I am considering some sort of heavy but thin rod down the barrel for few reasons.
1. As you said, it keeps the barrel supported.
2. Added weight
3. With the barrel predrilled before I cut the barrel off to add the grill, the rod will make for a nice guide to glue the barrel back in place.

and you're right, it would also help the muzzle mount.

More..

Attachments

• IMG_2533.JPG
    IMG_2533.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Tomorrow I am going to paint.

It will be an idealized paint job. I have no real insight but the Hero weapon looks like it could be a cast of a Margolin, then built up and painted the same color black. The stunt weapon look like it is a cast of the built up Hero. Whether or not that is true, here is what i am going to do...

I am going to paint the the weapon (sans grips) silver > then flat black > then graphite powder rub > then sealer > then wet sand edges for weathering > black wash to help details pop > then add grips.

Thanks. there are a lot of things on this project I probably would have shied away from in the past such as:

-carving out the hammer well; in the past I would have left I filled in.
-drilling a deep hole down the barrel; I would have feared the barrel breaking or drilling a crooked hole.
-fixing the side switch that I screwed up; not only had i applied it crooked, i sanded too much off the bottom. I used scrap plastic to fix it.
-cutting up the grills, cutting up the barrel; usually I would prefer something already remade like a one piece 3D print.
-using the resin cast side squares: Not that I don't like them, its just that it is easy to sand off too much of the bottom or on a slant.
-rebuilding the rear sight: It was the only part that did not cast cleanly. i used scrap plastic to make a new sight.

The more a project needs that type of work, the more chances I have at screwing something up. Surprisingly, this project went pretty smooth.

I am hoping to get this done today but it is very humid. So painting may be problematic.

Maybe you're just getting better...? :D

Or luckier. Either way, I'll take it.

Got to do some painting today. Unlike the A New Hope version, this one will have some battlefield weathering. My preferred weathering technique is to do a base layer of silver which I will later expose by slowly wet sanding the top coat (black) on certain edges. Here it is with the silver coat:

IMG_2543.jpg

Looking good :)

watching your build with interest before I start mine properly

I see you're painting the squares & grills which should look cool with weathering

I was thinking I'd paint my base gun & then add these after (when I finally get started)

Looking good :)

watching your build with interest before I start mine properly

I see you're painting the squares & grills which should look cool with weathering

I was thinking I'd paint my base gun & then add these after (when I finally get started)

I did the same idealized thing with my Greedo Blaster too. I just did not think it looked right to weather the pistol but leave the grill perfect black. I did leave that blaster grips black because I envisioned the real Blaster (not prop) might have a plastic or composite black grip. i did do a brown paint dirt wash over the grip so that looked used. But the grill seemed more likely to be metal like the blaster. Now one could theorize that that grill is a special composite too. But it really is just a matter of looking at the item an determining if it looks good. I tend to notice a lot of prop replicas where they are beat to crap but then they have items that are perfectly painted. It is just weird.

Now on my A New Hope version, since I envision that it being the weapon of a princess, that was probably kept in her quarters and not on a battlefield, I kept the grip it's clean black plastic look which also looked good with the gloss of the black cord.

If you look at the shot of the Return of the Jedi version where Leia is holding it close to her after she was hit by blaster fire at the bunker, the blaster looks pretty much like it is a solid black, possibly satin paint job on the entire weapon. No paint variation on the grill, grip, etc... it's pretty boring. When I look at my collection or show it off to a friend, I want the replica to look more than a painted item. I want it to have some character as well. However I dislike it when people over weather their prop replicas especially when they add faux rust.

I'm hoping to get at least the black coat on tomorrow.

Just a quick shot of the first layer of flat black added with the black plastic grip in place. I wanted this shot so I can compare the coloring of the item after the graphite powder coat is added.

IMG_2551.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back