Disgusting creatures! Who has a Jawa?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by rocketeer25, Mar 4, 2002.

1. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Well, I've been inspired by Tony's Cheap Props site to build my own Jawa. It's going to be a father / son project for me and my 4 year old. [​IMG] He's really excited about it, and I think it would be a good project for us. I would love to see pics if you have done this yourself, or if you've purchased one from someone.

Also, if you have a source for the bandoliers and ammo pouches needed, please let me know. Any references for a Jawa blaster would be greatly appreciated as well.

So, if you've got a Jawa, show it off!! [​IMG]

2. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't have any pics, but with the exception of the bandoliers my total cost was less than 35.00...and it was finished in a day! [​IMG]

3. forttusken

forttusken Well-Known Member

Check out my link below to a forum that will give you some hints on building it.

4. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the website plug.
    here is mine. He's kinda ugly, but it was my first attempt. I might try again someday.

5. yodaman

yodaman Sr Member

Nice work :)

6. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

7. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

Dustin Crops Boy and Wampa, you seek...

8. Justin WFCOMICS

Justin WFCOMICS Well-Known Member

Here's my ANH Jawa costume in action...
    ...and my ROTJ Jawa costume on a homemade maniquin.
    Justin =)

9. Peace Hunter

Peace Hunter Well-Known Member

10. TallDarkandDisfigured

TallDarkandDisfigured Sr Member

I have an ammo bag on the way(thanks yodaman). And I found a bandolier for 30 bucks whenever I can afford that. Then I will really get moving on mine. It should be fairly cheap other than those antique ammo stuff.

11. Oohyeah KL

Oohyeah KL Well-Known Member

12. LisaFett

LisaFett New Member

I'm unloading a couple of the blankets with the herringbone weave on ebay right now. PLUG! [​IMG] I put 'em up for what I paid for them. Do a search for jawa blanket.

13. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Yeh I've seen your two auctions lodsa times now! You don't know how much I want them, [​IMG] as it's such an upgrade from what i have now...anyway I don't think the shipping would be nice to me! Nevermind! I just hope someone imports - then sells them here! [​IMG]

14. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is PIC of my jawa with mouse droid.

15. TallDarkandDisfigured

On a related subject. What make is the Jawa "welder"? Microflame?

16. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A few shots of mine. 2 ANH with squinty eyes and hairy hands and a wide-eyed ROTJ [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TallDarkandDisfigured

I haven't started my head yet. Wampa, where did you get the domes for the eyes? And what exactly are the differences between the ANH and ROTJ?

18. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Here are mine in progress
    [​IMG]

This was the first thing I have sewed in my life on a machine!! It is not the most professional job done, but they came out great, If I can do it, you can do it!! :)

The eyes are now almost done, I used 10mm LED's for them behind my bubbles.
    The belts on the one are just to see how things look and will not be used other than the german pouch.
    I'm making all my bandoliers out of vinyl using Dallas's pattern from his site.
    Mine are just a generic Jawa and are not from either movie.
    The toy rifle that the one is holding will be getting made into Jawa blaster.
    The other one that is looking like he is waiting for a beer will be holding a droid caller.

19. Tonfa Sartan

Tonfa Sartan New Member

This is my first jawa...he will be going to live in Las Vegas sometime this week

[​IMG]

Here is the info for the blaster

[​IMG]

This is what it will look like when it arrives
    [​IMG]

and the bandoliers can be found here

http://www.ima-usa.com/p98.html
    at the very bottom of the page

DATED WWI 5-POCKET BANDOLIER Original WWI Bandolier with grained leather.
    Very Good Condition. $45.00 (BL1001)

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I've been wanting to build one for a while. Are there any tutorials that tell how the blanket needs to be sewn to make the robes? I'll have to have my mommy sew it for me [​IMG]

21. TomSpinaDesigns

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>TallDarkandDisfigured wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>I haven't started my head yet. Wampa, where did you get the domes for the eyes? And what exactly are the differences between the ANH and ROTJ?</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Small plastic shop in NYC. they come in a strip of 8 different sized domes. They are clear with amber lighting gel and flashlight lamps/reflectors behind.

As for the diffs:

ANH- tall, human shaped head with lower eyes. The eyes in the film were attatched over the actors cheeks and the face cover had HUGE holes for the actors to see out of. The eyes were attatched to the head with black gaffer tape (very sloppily, i might add). This tape made the eyes look "squinty". Some used swimming goggles as domes (of which some were flat and some were bubbled).

Hands were leather gloves or monster hands(tough to tell) and had fur on the backs of the hands.

Some of the hoods in ANH tied in the back.

The robes were rich brown and some a more orange color (look at the droid sale, you'll see both) Later one of these lighter colored ones was used to give Lak Sivrak a cloak int the CA pick-up shots for the Cantina. which leads us too...

ROTJ- Wider, more structured head, with a scrim to see through. The eyes are higher, more "eye level". The eyes are on an oval mount and clean circles.

The robe colors were lighter and more orange. These are on the MOM display. My guess is these are the same robes used in ANH, just the lighter,orange-y ones.

TPM- Different pattern (more sophisticated with seperate sleeves) Different fabric (darker and more square pattern on the texture) More "neck in the hood, looking like a scarf.

I cheated my ANH's to look a little cleaner but still squinty. I've since made them a little more "wonky". I still may go back and go full on screen used look with gobs of gaffer tape and eys pointing every which way [​IMG]

tom

22. Lan Jenn

Lan Jenn Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tom,

You absolutely amaze me!

Brett

23. TallDarkandDisfigured

Well I guess I'll be doing an ESB version. A little of this a little of that. I like the darker robes but also like the look of the jersey gloves on the ROTJ. As for the eyes, I saw a production pic somewhere that showed the eyes to be those outdoor christmas bulbs taped on the cheeks. But that might have been for the background Jawas. Anywho I hope to get mine going again soon so I can post some pics. I have been on a search for a styrofoam head, but no luck.

One more thing, does anyone do a resin kit for the Ion blaster?

24. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

Here is a blaster I had put up here a while back. It's not resin, however. I've made some adjustments to the launcher adaptor since but I haven't put up recent photos yet. I have some references on this blaster. I hope the pic works. Since there's no more photopoint, I'm currently trying photoisland.
    Give me a shout if you're interested.
    chance_cal@hotmail.com
    thanks,
    Cal
    [​IMG]

25. TallDarkandDisfigured

Very nice, but i am positive it would be out of my price range.

26. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

TallDarkAndDisfigured,
    No problem. I may consider a trade if you've got any extra prop stuff just lying around [​IMG]
    later,
    Cal

27. Oohyeah KL

Oohyeah KL Well-Known Member

Hey Tom,

Where did the hairy hands come from?
    I was just flipping through the Chronicles just now which show ANH jawas with the darker robes and squinty eyes, and the gloves worn are the same jersey gloves as used in DCB's ROTJ version.

Got any pics of hairy handy jawas? [​IMG]

28. Justin WFCOMICS

Hey Cal,

I sent ya email yesterday [​IMG].

Justin =)

29. TomSpinaDesigns

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Oohyeah KL wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Hey Tom,

Where did the hairy hands come from?
    I was just flipping through the Chronicles just now which show ANH jawas with the darker robes and squinty eyes, and the gloves worn are the same jersey gloves as used in DCB's ROTJ version.

Got any pics of hairy handy jawas? [​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

watch the movie [​IMG] those pics are post production. Check out the scene where they add the restraining bolt and ESPECIALLY the one that strokes Luke's speeder.
    tom

30. Justin WFCOMICS

Man, look at all these great pics. And Wampa's stuff, wow! Great work everyone!

Justin =)
    "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!"

31. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Wow! What a turn out! Thanks everyone for the pics, and now I have a source for the ammo pouches as well. I've made the Home Depot run, and have most of the parts that I will need. Still trying to decide how to do the eyes, though. I still have two questions...

1. Does anyone have a source for the styrofoam heads? I bought a 6 inch styrofoam ball, but would like something larger.

2. Any kits out there for the blaster?

Thanks!

32. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

Justin,
    Sorry, I've just been away from the pc. I'll get in touch with ya asap.

33. Sluis Van Shipyards

Are there any patterns or measurements to show how to do the cloak?

34. Tonfa Sartan

Tonfa Sartan New Member

go to your local wigshop...I got a couple of styrofoam heads for like $1.50 a piece

35. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Hey Wampa,

Though I really, really like your Jawas( though I'd like to see a slightly fuller hood). That power droid is amazing!

36. TomSpinaDesigns

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Zaphod wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Hey Wampa,

Though I really, really like your Jawas( though I'd like to see a slightly fuller hood). That power droid is amazing!
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

thanks! that was kind of a thrown together thing. Kmart tubs and some ducting and of course, krylon spraypaint.
    [​IMG]

as for the jawa hoods, that's just how i had em on for the pics, they're pretty big hoods, actually. it's all in how ya pose em. On the one with the really tight sideways oval, i was goin for the look of the guy who shoots R2. he had his shut down pretty tight
    tom

37. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

* Wampa, I just noticed, you put eye-lids on one of them, fantastic.
    I've got to build one. I found complete instuctions on ezboards, before it got overtaken by pop-ups. It looks like it'll be a bit pricey though.
    Though just to be different, I'm thinking about putting a motion sensor in it linked to the blaster so that it "shoots" when someone goes by. I'm affraid I'm too much of an electronics nitwit to link a U'tinni shout with it. It'd be cool though.

38. TomSpinaDesigns

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Zaphod wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color> * Wampa, I just noticed, you put eye-lids on one of them, fantastic.
    I've got to build one. I found complete instuctions on ezboards, before it got overtaken by pop-ups. It looks like it'll be a bit pricey though.
    Though just to be different, I'm thinking about putting a motion sensor in it linked to the blaster so that it "shoots" when someone goes by. I'm affraid I'm too much of an electronics nitwit to link a U'tinni shout with it. It'd be cool though.</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

hehehe good idea! first u gotta make one strong enough to hold the * blaster! frikkin heavy!

yeah, i did the eyelids on both ANH ones. (one more squinty than the other). I used black gaffer tape but did it under the black hood so they'd look a little cleaner. I may still change it to tape on the outside, just all messy and sloppy like the real ones. Guess i'm a little spoiled by lookin at the ROTJ one at MOM.

tom

39. TallDarkandDisfigured

Doesn't Radio Crap sell those recorders that hold like 20 or 30 seconds of sound? You could probly record the Utinni yell and the blaster shot on it, then hook it up with your sensor.

40. Sluis Van Shipyards

Are there any patterns or measurements to show how to do the cloak?

I'm gonna keep posting that so save yourselves some time and answer it [​IMG]

41. TallDarkandDisfigured

I have a rough pattern I'll email it to ya.

42. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

You think it'd be that easy? I'm not much on electronics. Thanks for the advice though. I'll check it out.

43. TallDarkandDisfigured

Yeah, I think it could work fairly easily. I don't know how to hook up the sensor to it though, but we have some electronics geniuses here like hyperdyne. I'm sure someone can help.

This part is for the guys who have their Jawa finished. Is the inner cloak a full cloak or more like Vaders inner cape?

44. TomSpinaDesigns

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>TallDarkandDisfigured wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>This part is for the guys who have their Jawa finished. Is the inner cloak a full cloak or more like Vaders inner cape?</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

There's a shot of Jack Purvis wearing just the under-robe in one of the old INSIDER issues. It looks to be a wool pull over robe wil the polo type collar (slit, but no buttons)

overall shape is very much like the outer robe.
    tom

45. TallDarkandDisfigured

OK, but I don't think it would need the sleeves just the bottom part shows anyway right? I have to pick a project and finish it.

46. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Actually, I was thinking of picking up one of those home security kits. The ones with an infra-red senser hooked up to a light.

47. TallDarkandDisfigured

Hey Zaph, if you have one of those destroyer droid room alarms it would make a perfect organ donor. I hate my DD room guard, now i may have to give him massive surgery.

48. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Nah, I don't have one of those. Thanks anyway.

49. blufive

blufive Sr Member

50. TomSpinaDesigns

nice link...good shot of the hairy hands too.

[​IMG]

i've got another shot, plus a scan of that Purvis pic if someone can host em. Aol's bein flaky tonight

tom