Marmit ANH Vader

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Too Much Garlic, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

A real crying shame this beauty didn't go into production. Maybe the likeness was too spot on and LFL pulled the plug. Guess we'll never know. There's one or a few lucky dude(s) in the world who owns the prototypes... but... who owns the molds?

Here's a few lovely pics to keep you all company:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And here's a little comparison between the Marmit and the undersized Medicom Vader. Huge differende.
    [​IMG]

Would really LOVE to have a copy of that Marmit helmet (& armor). That would just be soooo sweet. Why oh why was this cancelled? :cry

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

Supposedly Marmit couldn't get the copyright from LFL for it since Tomy had pretty much taken over Star Wars in Japan (Tomy = japanese releases of Hasbro toys mostly, with some cool stuff on the side like those awesome lightsabers). Marmit only had a limited license agreement from what I've heard. I could be WAY off but we'll likely never know the truth without asking.

Hey that's a good idea. I'll email Marmit.

Ryu

3. cking

cking Sr Member

Why oh why couldn't Sideshow get their Premium Format 1/4 scale Vader to look as good as this?....
    :(

Chris

4. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(cking @ Jun 24 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]1267411[/snapback]</div>
    I hear you... that would have been absolutely awesome. But... didn't LFL mess that up?

5. cking

cking Sr Member

Yes, according to Andy B (Sideshow sculptor) LFL requested many changes on the Vader. Pretty much all changes were for the worse from what I can see. Such a * shame. :(

Chris

6. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

:( another sad day in the star wars prop history.

7. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Won't Sideshow eventually come out with a Vader in their "sixth scale" line, and thereby have another chance to redeem themselves? :confused

- k

8. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 25 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1267597[/snapback]</div>
    The Sideshow sixth scale SW line seems to be doing very well. I bet they'll release more than one version of Vader eventually.

I'm hoping for an authentically furry, fully articulated Chewbacca. :p

9. Too Much Garlic

I have absolutely no faith in the Sideshow line... their sculpts are nothing to write home about, in my book and their standard figure which they pop their sculpted heads and hands on are a disgrace - proportionally speaking; they are WAY OFF.

But one can only hope that they do the Vader right this time around.

10. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ Jun 25 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]1267711[/snapback]</div>
    If their 1/6th Darth Maul is any indication, we might get lucky. :)

11. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ Jun 25 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1267713[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I'm impressed by the Maul sculpt. I'm also optimistic about Kit Fisto.

The Luke sculpt unfortunately looks as if he's just pulled Vader's finger. :unsure Actually, it's a pretty good likeness of Hamill from a particular moment in ROTJ... but it would have made better sense to choose a more versatile expression for the figure.

12. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ Jun 25 2006, 12:26 PM) [snapback]1267713[/snapback]</div>
    If their 1/6th Darth Maul is any indication, we might get lucky. :)
    [/b][/quote]
    Still find the Attakus and Gentle Giant versions far superior in terms of facial likeness... heck, even the Kotobukiya version looks better... but maybe I have simply been looking at the wrong Sideshow pictures then.

13. Too Much Garlic

Anyone know who sculpted the Marmit Vader?

14. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

The Marmit kicks * over the Medicom.

Sad this will never see the light of day :(

15. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

Well I asked a friend of mine in Japan if he could get me Marmit's email since it isn't on their site or maybe he can call them for me. I'd like to know what happened too. The helmet and armor does look awesome but look at those belt and chest boxes. Truly magnificent.

Ryu

16. Too Much Garlic

It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about all this... and whether they still have the molds or they were given away, sold off or destroyed.

17. Wei

Wei New Member

There were few (if I remember correctly there are at least 5 sold) of this prototype availible years back with pretty high price.

18. Too Much Garlic

Yeah, I've heard that about this time last year that one of these prototypes was valued at $3600... just imagine what it would be worth now... (this is of course "iirc"... so don't hang me if it turns out to be lower)

19. Too Much Garlic

<div class='quotetop'>(Ryu Kumon @ Jun 26 2006, 05:53 AM) [snapback]1268225[/snapback]</div>
    Where you able to contact them and have they replied back yet?

20. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

Well my friend checked around and he couldn't get Marmit's email but he did get the email for one of Marmit's managers, or something like that. i was going to email him as soon i figure out exactly what to say in japanese.

Ryu

21. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boba Frett @ Jun 25 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]1268051[/snapback]</div>
    Yes... really sad :cry . The Marmit is really amazing

22. Too Much Garlic

Wouldn't it be fun if we all wrote LFL and begged them to make sure that the Sideshow Vader will be as good or better than the Marmit Vader Prototypes, instead of always making revisions for the worse?

Hmm... yeah... looking forward to seeing what Sideshow comes up with though, seeing as how their previous sculpts have not really been anything to shout hurrah about.

TBH: I'm not really interested in a fully clothed figure... all I care about is the armor and helmet. Would be nice if they decided to sell those separately, in case they manage to sculpt them in the correct 1:6 scale and they look accurate and not crappy.

Here's me crossing fingers... :rolleyes

23. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I picked up a couple of the sideshow figures. The sculpts are decent but not fantastic, and I've found they look better in person then in "standard" photographs. The poseability of the figures is very nice amd your able to put them in very lifelike poses which adds greatly to the "realism" factor when looking at them. The Marmit Vader pics in the beginning of this thread are absolutely fantastic though. The medicom figure just looks way too small, but I wish someone had thought to place a ruler in the picture so we could see the real size of the two figures. The Medi-com figure looks great too but does look small compared to the Marmit version.

Jedi Dade

24. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I'd take that Marmit Vader over the Sideshow anyday, simply amazing.

25. Too Much Garlic

Time to resurrect an old topic! :lol

Dreams:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  26. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Marmit!

[​IMG]

27. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Looks great. Will you leave them as they are or do you have any plans to finish them?

28. Too Much Garlic

NOOOO... you didn't just ask that... :confused

Those are the original prototypes... don't mess with those... :confused

DROOOOOOOOOL. So cool.

29. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LOL !

30. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

I want one !!!!:cry

31. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

*Mental note* People we don't like for today.... Moffeaton...

*sigh*

So beautiful... If you ever want to get rid of it... :love

(wishful thinking)

Ryu

32. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Ok. Didn't notice that. Better to leave them as they are:lol

33. moffeaton

Heh - those don't belong to me! I was just lucky enough to monkey around with them :)

34. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Ok, good to know:lol

35. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Man, that Vader was half the reason I collected any Marmit figures (Fett was the other half). What I wouldn't have given to see that Vader make it to production :(.

-Fred

36. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

Ah ok, well now I can cross you off the despise for the day list and move you back to the admire for the week list. :p

You're going to WF (KY) this year right?

Ryu

37. moffeaton

LOL. Yeah, sure am :)

38. obiwan2

obiwan2 Sr Member

Such a shame the Marmit isn't available. I'd love to get one :)

39. RCB

RCB New Member

Same here. I really liked their offerings.

40. Too Much Garlic

Resurrecting an old thread of mine instead of making a new one about the same subject.

Anyway, through chance and being at the right place at the right time I was able to acquire some genuine Marmit ANH Vader prototype pieces and just got them home from the post office today.

The Marmit Prototype pieces up close and personal. It doesn't disappoint. There is a slight bend in the flange on the dome, and a small knick knocked off one of the T-grips on the saber, but other than that there is nothing to note and it's cool to see the Marmit sculpt and be able to study the differences between that and the other sculpts I've seen throughout the years. I really like the look and shapes and it's interesting to see the choices they made in a time when there wasn't as much high res and good quality reference as there is today. They got so many things right and set the bar really high, at which Sideshow or any other company still hasn't passed yet. Will be interesting with the new Sideshow ESB/RotJ hybrid being worked on right now to see whether it tops it... but currently: Marmit is still KING.

(Pictures deleted due to admin demand)

And here's the face mask comparison between the Marmit and Kaiyodo.

Now I just gotta figure out how to properly display the Marmit. I think I'll display it with the Kaiyodo, once I've finished working on that. I'm just really happy right now. .)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  41. blipper

blipper Sr Member

Great result Carsten - I can see why you're happy. How will it scale next to your own Vader project?

42. Too Much Garlic

it should be exact in scale. It's been a long dream of mine to get something of the Marmit Vader. Couldn't afford one of the near finished ones, not in a lifetime's worth of saving and couldn't justify the cost, but these just landed within my realm of possibility and I had to strike even though things have been a bit on the messy side financially for me the last few months.

43. King Ranger

King Ranger Sr Member

* it, man! Where can I get my hands on a set of those? I've had a modified Marmit body sitting around for a while hoping to find some myself.

Regardless, congratulations on getting those parts. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  44. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

They look great Carsten. I'm glad that you got them :)

45. Too Much Garlic

Thanks man. It'll be interesting to compare these with my own project. .)

46. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

AWESOME! You must have won that eBay auction. CONGRATS and THANKS for the pictures!!!

If these parts ever accidentally fall under some silicone PLEASE let us know! ;)

Does anyone out there have a Marmit Spacetrooper???
    [​IMG][​IMG]

47. Too Much Garlic

No, I made a deal with the seller for just the Vader parts. The TIE pilot is still available for auction. And I can say right now that these will never be molded while I own them.

Here's some more pictures:

I believe Hakurai Toys is the only one having the Spacetroopers.

Cheers,

C.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  48. Too Much Garlic

Always a good idea to check Hakurai Toys' eBay page. Something good has popped up.

49. Too Much Garlic

Still love these pieces and take them out from time to time to appreciate them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013