Functioning version of Gehn's pipe from Riven by Saign Charlestein

rehevkor5

I commissioned this piece from Saign Charlestein - a talented metalworker, propmaker, woodworker - back in 2013. It is a fully functioning tobacco pipe that is based on Gehn's pipe from the video game Riven by Cyan Worlds. I'm posting it here because I'm sure you'll appreciate it!

final_main.jpg

Here's a shot with the (hand-raised) bowl cover removed. The mouthpiece is also removable.
final_3.jpg

Additional pictures are visible in Saign's gallery on CustomMade.com (his photography is lovely), though I also have higher-res work-in-progress photos if anyone's interested: Cyan Worlds Pipe

One nice detail of the construction is that the horizontal bore in the base opens via a brass plug for easier through-cleaning. I am not really a smoker, so I have only smoked from it a handful of times, but it's nice to be able to clean it anyway!

The original is both a real-world prop, used by actor John Keston in Gehn's live-action scenes, as well as a 3D model used in pre-rendered scenes. I won't post any game extracts/screenshots, but here is one of the source photos of the original prop (on a table next to other props from the game). You can clearly see that the original is probably made mostly out of clay, with metal, wood, and weathering texture painted on. To my uneducated eye, it looks like a theater prop. Also, you may notice that Saign's version is not a precise match in every dimension and detail: I know some would find that very important. But, I am beyond pleased with Saign's interpretation and cratsmanship, and there is no way to mistake what he made as anything other than Gehn's pipe!

6275f491094679c.jpg

I found Saign through CustomMade.com, but since then the site seems to have shifted to focus only on jewelry. I'm not sure why, because it seemed like a great way to connect with people who could make just about anything (for example, furniture). I am curious if anyone else has used them for commissions, whether it is defunct, or what.

Fans of Myst and Riven might be interested in these other two tidbits:
  • Cyan's models for 3D printing: Cyan_Inc's Thingiverse Profile
  • Cyan is releasing a remake of Riven this year. Very exciting (especially for VR fans):
Lastly, I'm new here. I've never made a prop before, but I will start a thread soon about my (rather painstaking) work toward making a replica of Alyx's automatic rifle from Half-Life: Alyx (known as "ipistol" in the game files). See you then!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back