Marcus Vending Machine from Borderlands 3 - full scale

Started on the shelves today. I stopped off at my mate's workshop and got the plates cut out of a 2.5mm sheet. The plates are 670x177mm and ended up weighing at 2.3kgs each so even 10 of these definitely gonna put some load on the machine. we'll see how it takes them.

We only had a limited amount of time with the laser cutter so just did rectangles, and I'll be cleaning them up and chopping them up at home.

2020-02-14 11.34.46.jpg

I got the first 5 cleaned up and cut the corners to size this morning:
2020-02-16 12.24.17.jpg

The next step is to work out how to keep one side insulated. I have a pretty good idea on how to do that, while also utilising a couple of bolts/rivets that are shown ingame:
bolts.png

The shelf mountings can be done in heaps of different ways, the main thing for me is being able to insulate the one on the right so i made these brackets with that in mind. It's not super close, but I think it's close enough. Otherwise I'll have to either try and get them lasercut which is not something I wanna bother my mate about.

The lighting will be getting laser cut (i've pretty much finished it in Illustrator) so altogether it should look reasonably close I think, but I think these mounts will do the job. The bolts are temporary, I'll be using bolts with smaller heads to better match the original.

2020-02-23 15.01.45.jpg

The first test shelf is done - now to make 9 more of these!
Shelf1.jpg

So instead of M6 bolts I'm gonna be using M5s with 8mm heads. This way this is a lot more to scale and I have enough space to play with when it comes to the plastic spacers for the bolts to help me keep the right bracket eletrrically insulated from the main shelf itself.

Testing a piece of vacuum tube as an insulator, fits perfectly:
2020-02-24 16.57.31.jpg

The whole panel done up with the new M5 bolts. I still haven't got the insulating gasket between the right bracket and the main panel yet but I'll sort that another day. Will also need to get a bunch of plastic washers to go under the nut.
2020-02-24 19.05.32.jpg

Thinking ahead, I'll probably need to add fuses to each panel separately. If I only have 1 fuse for the entire set of shelves it'll be an absolute nightmare to work out problems if one of the bolts shorts out. With a fuse on each shelf I only have 4 bolts to undo to locate a problem instead of 40:
circuit.png

Last edited:
The first set of shelf mounts are done. This concept seems to be working very well - thanks to my father for the bracket design, it works perfectly going around all corners and holds the shelf really good.

Using my spare chain's links as mounting brackets:
2020-03-08 13.06.44.jpg

Attaching a scissor mount to the chain. Gonna have to do this 18 more times after this one.
2020-03-08 14.50.39.jpg

And here is the test! The motor will definitely need replacing, and I think my chain adjustment method might not handle the load, but otherwise this seems like it'll work so some minor changes plus I'll also have to make 9 more sets of shelves.

Also the lighting part of the shelves is still in progress so that'll be a separate piece of work once I've done all shelves and mounted them up.

Lucky I still have enough materials to keep the build going for the next few weekends while NZ is on a lockdown.

This morning I've cut up the parts to mount 2 more shelves. The only difference is that the shelves mounts will be a bit different - my mate is laser cutting out perspex for the lighting sections so the mounts had to be adjusted to fit.

2020-03-29 12.43.04.jpg

I decided to change the material from which the shelves will be made. These are just too heavy and are putting too much strain on the chains, and the H frame, the tensioners, etc.

For now Ive cut centres out of 3 of them (we're in a nation-wide lockdown so I have to preserve my cutting disks, used 2, only have 1 left) and will be using them as templates until the lockdown is over and I can work out what other material I can use:
2020-04-03 14.02.23.jpg

I also remade the original brackets for the 1st shelf, and have fitted the mounting bolts on the chain (the bolts are also temporary, this is all I could find that was M3 thread:
2020-04-03 15.36.45.jpg

So at this point the plan is to have the other 2 shelves mounted tomorrow and test to see how this works with all 3 of them!

Thanks dude, tbh its pretty rough when you look close up, but I am stoked that the movement worked out as planned. Ive worked with cars for about 15-20 years, often on the cheap so used to having to make my own parts, or do some rough modifications etc. So I have some experience but it is mostly through trial and error rather than through any engineering knowledge etc.

Some things here are my father's suggestions who's an actual engineer - specifically the design of the scissor mount, I'm glad I asked him for his opinion before i started making it myself as his idea was far better than what I planned on doing. These shelf mounts are a critical part since they had to move when the chain goes around sprockets so without them i'd be pretty stuck.

when you get to the guns, you might wanna check out "myminifactory.com" theyve got a few 3d printable files.
If you don yet have a printer id recommend the ender 3, but may want one with a larger print bed.

when you get to the guns, you might wanna check out "myminifactory.com" theyve got a few 3d printable files.
If you don yet have a printer id recommend the ender 3, but may want one with a larger print bed.
Hey there are some amazing guns there, even an amara classmod!

Although it's still a very long time away and I don't wanna get ahead of myself, I am seriously thinking of trying to make one of the COV gun replicas after this. The ones with the pullstart, using a chainsaw motor to get the cogs spinning etc. I do want a 3D printer though, maybe one day I'll end up getting one.

Took over half a day but I managed to insulate the right hand chain drive so now I can power the shelves. Insulating structural parts of the frame is actually a bit tricky, especially during a lockdown. Had to make insulator washers and gaskets using some old pieces of lino I found stashed away. This worked pretty well since it's quite tough and handles a decent amount of pressure.

2020-04-10 10.01.39.jpg

2020-04-10 10.01.50.jpg

And she's insulated!! Hopefully it stays like this and I won't burn many fuses.
2020-04-10 13.30.14.jpg

Also, my mate with the laser cutter cut up the black plastic parts for the shelves and was able to courier them to me during this lockdown. The transparent parts are still to come:
2020-04-10 13.56.43.jpg

Surrounds placed on the shelf, everything seems to match pretty closely, there is just the right amount of space for the mount etc. Glad that my first attempt at using illustrator was a success. Here are the black parts sitting on one of the new ply shelves (which are lighter and don't need to be insulated):
2020-04-10 14.12.16.jpg

Spent last day and a bit swapping the motors around.

The cordless drill I'm using as a motor donor had a rubbish chuck, didnt grip onto anything so I had to cut the entire top section off and weld directly to the gearbox output shaft. As part of that had to disconnect the motor as I didnt want to fry the motor by welding a part that was attached to it. Luckily I was able to reassemble the gearbox:

2020-04-12 11.53.30.jpg

The motor is mounted up, the adapter will need to be replaced as its a bit offcentre but i don't think I can do better at the moment with everything being shut.

2020-04-13 11.57.12.jpg

Here is a test run of the motor, itll be nice once I get a proper adapter made up so there is no wobble going on.

Edit: Just had a lightbulb moment, why don't I just mount a sproket on the output shaft and run the drive directly to the chain. This way the driveshaft can be much shorter and even with slight offset the sprocket/chain is much more forgiving rather than transferring power through a threaded connection. Will do this on the weekend.

Last edited:
Ok so last few nights I've been working out the best way to mount a sproket on the drive itself with just what I have in the garage. Managed to match a bolt of the right diameter to the shaft and it has very minimal offset. More than enough for the sprocket/chain connection.

2020-04-17 16.30.34.jpg

Feels a ton better, pretty much no wabble and I can finally continue with the shelves, mount the battery, start running some wiring and wait for my fuse box and fuses to arrive.

Made up a battery mount/bracket today. Probably a bit of an overkill using 3mm sheet for this but I'm running low on various types of steel now while everything's in a lockdown so having to use what I have available.

2020-04-18 12.55.30.jpg

2020-04-18 13.22.11.jpg

2020-04-18 13.54.11.jpg

Mounted the 3 shelves I have. Will have to stop with them for a while as I've run out of the necessary materials, so will have to wait till we out of lockdown level 3 which is another 3 weeks and a bit. But until then I can do some sheet metal work as I still have a bit of panel steel left.

2020-04-25 12.18.02.jpg

Also hooked up the trigger and it'll just hang there until I decide what will be the button to move the shelves. Too many options to choose from. At this point i'm deciding between one of the keypad buttons and the eye-sensor like thing that has the finger icon above it. Not sure yet.
2020-04-25 15.56.51.jpg

2020-04-25 11.42.39.jpg

2020-04-25 12.19.17.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back