Unlimited Run Luke v2 lightsaber paint stencils and Neck Adapters

Re: Luke v2 lightsaber paint stencils: All new files

Yea, this is insane. The work you're putting in must be painstaking.

What do you recommend for making sure the paint job doesn't flake off? (for having such tiny pieces)

I've had a good result with rustoleum High Heat grill paint and a heat gun, but it still scratches off from time to time.

Yea, this is insane. The work you're putting in must be painstaking.

What do you recommend for making sure the paint job doesn't flake off? (for having such tiny pieces)

I've had a good result with rustoleum High Heat grill paint and a heat gun, but it still scratches off from time to time.

Yeah.. I mean the effect we're trying to replicate is paint that has flaked off and chipped LOL so even the real one does that. :)

I've found that cheap flat black or semi-gloss paint works just fine. I try not to handle mine too much because yeah it will eventually start to rub off if you handle it a lot.
I wouldn't recommend primer as that would react with the vinyl and cause the stencils to gum up.
Maybe that rustoleum paint+primer? that's what I used on my last attempt and even though it was a tiny bit glossier than I wanted, it seems to have laid down thick and adhere really well.

Yeah.. I mean the effect we're trying to replicate is paint that has flaked off and chipped LOL so even the real one does that. :)

I've found that cheap flat black or semi-gloss paint works just fine. I try not to handle mine too much because yeah it will eventually start to rub off if you handle it a lot.
I wouldn't recommend primer as that would react with the vinyl and cause the stencils to gum up.
Maybe that rustoleum paint+primer? that's what I used on my last attempt and even though it was a tiny bit glossier than I wanted, it seems to have laid down thick and adhere really well.

A matte clear coat would solve the handling/scratching problem, no?

yes, but would also greatly affect the finish of the aluminum. making it tacky and/or milky

Use a 2K paint or primer if you want the closest thing to permanent.

Duracoat (this is probably the best and most durable you can possibly use at any price)
Spraymax
Eastwood 2K Epoxy Primer Black (should be same as Spraymax)

Next best would be an etching primer/paint from SEM, Dupont, UPOL, 3M, etc.

Lastly, something like Krylon paint/primer.

I've personally tested SEM, the most durable Krylon and about half dozen more ordinary Krylon and other paints. A friend has used Spraymax. An uncountable number of people trust Duracoat for their firearms and I haven't seen/read anything to lead me to believe it's not the absolute best.

yes, but would also greatly affect the finish of the aluminum. making it tacky and/or milky

What about a clear powder coat? Would eliminate the tacky feeling. Not sure about the "milky" appearance though.

like actual bake on electrostatic powdercoat? I don't know enough about it to know whether that would damage the paint or not.

I know powdercoating the actual black would be very durable but I don't think the stencils could handle the baking process.

Sounds like some experimenting is in order. I definitely don't think the stencils could be baked, and even if they could it would be a nightmare to get them off after. Baking it on post paint is done a lot on cars, and the paints Pixel listed are used in that field frequently. The clear coats are done at a lower temperature to avoid discolouration. Maybe I'll make a little test piece and give it a shot

I agree on the Duracoat, just go to O'Reilly auto and get some of that stuff, it's good.

I previously ordered two sets, but I'd like to add one more for a total of three sets. Thanks again.

would be really cool if Trent got his hands on HD photos from all angles from the original prop. With how popular this forum is when it comes to props and replica builds u would think somebody here would have connections to the prop or the person that owns it!

Hi Trent, sorry could you remove me from your list please, I’m actually after in SH version, so I shall keep an eye out for the thread on tra. Thanks

With how popular this forum is when it comes to props and replica builds u would think somebody here would have connections to the prop or the person that owns it!

Lol!

The founder of this forum is literally the current owner of the V2

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back