"In addition to its renowned hyperdrive, which supposedly made the Falcon the "fastest ship in the galaxy," the ship was equipped with a backup hyperdrive. It was much slower than the primary engine and often took several weeks or months to reach the nearest star system.[1]"

Works for me.

Yeah it’s not like anyone is asking why Luke doesn’t need to change the batteries in his lightsaber. They’ve always played fast and loose with the technical jargon, and all the ships move at the speed of plot. Even the lightsabers vary in how quickly the blades deploy depending on how dramatic the pacing of the scene needs to be.

There was a SW book, it might be Splinter of the Mind's Eye, where they mentioned Luke recharging his lightsaber. I'm not too worried about it, I just figure they have really long lasting battery life. Also, I seem to remember reading something about a lightsaber blade keeping its length because it goes out and feeds back or something, so maybe it helps keep the "battery" charged?

I’m pretty sure Chopper contributes a power cell to Ezra’s first lightsaber so they at least nod toward them needing power in the current canon, but it’s also one of those things I don’t really care about I was just being snarky.

Out of left field so apologies...

Real world reasons aside........
Has there ever been any in universe explanation why some weapons in SW appear the same more or less as modern earth weapons?
I know that's a stretch but wonder if anyone ever came up with some great creative BS to explain it? LOL

Out of left field so apologies...

Real world reasons aside........
Has there ever been any in universe explanation why some weapons in SW appear the same more or less as modern earth weapons?
I know that's a stretch but wonder if anyone ever came up with some great creative BS to explain it? LOL

there doesn’t need to be. In the SWU, who is to say what looks old and what looks modern. For all we know, a pistol like Poe’s might be considered retro. Along with the fact that with all the various species and cultures, there are various influences that drive design. There maybe various technology involved in the weapons that also lend to how a weapon must look.

Oh there is no need, but once you know... Han Solo and the Rocketeer use the same gun. You sort of want something even if it’s a massive stretch, with all the SW stuff out there, perhaps this is the one little thing left untouched with conjecture. And they keep the tradition going of using real guns dressed up even when there was no need to anymore.

"In addition to its renowned hyperdrive, which supposedly made the Falcon the "fastest ship in the galaxy," the ship was equipped with a backup hyperdrive. It was much slower than the primary engine and often took several weeks or months to reach the nearest star system.[1]"

Works for me.
But I thought it was bad when a movie had to be explained in a book?

So....the people who read and create these books can't enjoy a fantasy story? :unsure: that seems like a strange position to take.

What's that? People having a fun conversation about a film series we ALL enjoy?
Let me just....
source (1).gif

There seems to be a common misconception regarding fantasy stories that just because it's fantasy that anything goes and it's fine because it's all fake anyway. The truth is that any story with even an ounce of substance still adheres to the basic rules of fiction regardless of the genre. Otherwise there's no point discussing quality and we're all wasting our time.

Does it mean every single detail needs to be explained in depth? No. It just means some us aren't willing to accept mediocre product and we see the value in discussing how it could be improved.

So....the people who read and create these books can't enjoy a fantasy story? :unsure: that seems like a strange position to take.

What's that? People having a fun conversation about a film series we ALL enjoy?
Let me just....
View attachment 1358124

I simply answered your question under which conditions it would make it a bad thing.
It’s a good thing if you read and create because you have a genuine interest in the topic

If you are cynical troll trying to pick fights on a board, then you are going to bitch about it either way.

So we should just love it no matter what then. I gotcha. And it's clear that statement was likely directed at those you disagree with.

Since most of what I have been discussing here recently in the last few days is The Empire Strikes Back and those story elements, I think you should love it. But it's your call. If others feel they need more explanations to understand the movie and can’t enjoy it, I feel bad for them.

I think Empire is perfect and needs no changes whatsoever. In fact the OT is about as perfect as a trilogy can get as far as I'm concerned. I was referring to the series overall needing improvement, the sequel trilogy in particular. Perhaps going between this and the other thread I very easily could have mixed myself up on my responses.

The sequel trilogy just suffers so much because narratively it has no heart or focus, and pacing wise it’s a breakneck mess. I watched 10 minutes of TROS earlier and it makes me sad seeing these actors I like, playing characters I mostly like, buried in this sloppy movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back