No, I've heard it used mainly as a joke, because people have also said "Revenge of the Fifth" as well when it came to the next day.

Yeah, it's just a cutesy play on words, and it's pretty much become the official unofficial SW day. Now, that "Revenge of the Fifth" business irritates me far more than it should. "Revenge of the Sixth" is so much better. :confused:

I'm sure everyone is aware, some people are purists and perhaps dislike puns ;)

Personally I've read too many Xanth novels, so...May the 4th be with you! :cool:(y)
Edit: is there an "official" Star Wars day?

I mean, if there's an "official" one, it would be May 25th. Otherwise, I get why people would latch onto the catchy, "slogan-y" nature of it.

Yeah, it's just a cutesy play on words, and it's pretty much become the official unofficial SW day. Now, that "Revenge of the Fifth" business irritates me far more than it should. "Revenge of the Sixth" is so much better. :confused

Well, that's how I've heard it, with the Fifth. But then again, for Alien Day, they don't use the film's official release date either (they use April 26, 4/26, as in LV-426). But it seems like having the day the film was released would be a better date to celebrate. But, that's just my opinion.

AotC & RotS were shot on video at 2K
Wrong, less than 2K even. Both were the first to be shot entirely with Sony digital cameras at 1080p, not on video.
What the ... ?

Well, I was so astonished that I had to look that up. The cameras that had been used were supposedly the Sony CineAlta HDW-F900 for AOTC and the Sony CineAlta HDC-F950 for ROTS. Both are capable of only "Full HD".
From what I've gathered, the F900 used for AOTC is also capable of only 4:1:1 chroma subsampling, but the HDC-F950 used for ROTS is capable of 4:4:4.

What a shame...
Apparently the movies have at least never been distributed to theatres in 2K format, only on film.

Isn’t today the pseudo Star Wars day?

No, May 25th is star wars day. May 4th is a LAME and stupid pun, that is all.
So have to wait another 3 weeks for STAR WARS DAY

and I'll just leave this here:
starwars-day-2020.jpg

What the ... ?

Well, I was so astonished that I had to look that up. The cameras that had been used were supposedly the Sony CineAlta HDW-F900 for AOTC and the Sony CineAlta HDC-F950 for ROTS. Both are capable of only "Full HD".
From what I've gathered, the F900 used for AOTC is also capable of only 4:1:1 chroma subsampling, but the HDC-F950 used for ROTS is capable of 4:4:4.

What a shame...
Apparently the movies have at least never been distributed to theatres in 2K format, only on film.

Yes, "what the" :lol: Stort misstag om du frågar mig :p
I get Lucas wanted to innovate, push technology and all that. I even support that. However. Going with technology that can only deliver a 1080p image. For a huge blockbuster film that will be around 30 years later.... In my opinion, a HUGE mistake going digital at that time. Should have gone with film.
35mm film can be scanned up to around 5.5K and still deliver "more detail". Even after that you could scan the film at 16K and it wouldn't ruin anything. But with a digital 1080p image, if you scale it up to 16K, well you will be left with a blurry mess.

And it will always look worse than the original 1080p image in native resolution.

Anyone seen this yet(not just the review, the actual movie that apparently exists? I guess this was the Colin Treavereau version?

Curious to others' thoughts comparing this to what we actually got.

I’ve looked and can’t really find anything else about it besides Jeremy’s review.

Last edited:
This whole pun day started right after Episode 3 came out though it's only in the last few years that the general public latched onto it.

I suppose to some it's "proof" that Star Wars is embedded in our culture, though that seems like a silly assumption if you consider that it was decades before 2005 that it was cemented as more than just a series of movies.

This isn't some special day to me, nor is recognizing May 25th really all that important to me either. I mean is it cool that the series has maintained it's popularity for this long? Sure.

I'm a fan of the trilogy and have been my whole life. One day out of the year to recognize that isn't all that important to me because I love it all the time.

Like I said before, if you're a fan, every day is Star Wars day.

What do you all think of the news about a new SW movie being made by Taika Waititi?

I love What we do in the shadows and Thor: Ragnarok. Despite my enjoyment of those films I have zero interest in his SW movie.

Last edited:
I mean I like those two movies he did that I listed but I don't think there is a director or actor out there that could interest me in seeing another Star Wars movie.

Just my take on it.

Yeah, it's just a cutesy play on words, and it's pretty much become the official unofficial SW day. Now, that "Revenge of the Fifth" business irritates me far more than it should. "Revenge of the Sixth" is so much better. :confused:

I mean, if there's an "official" one, it would be May 25th. Otherwise, I get why people would latch onto the catchy, "slogan-y" nature of it.

I've come to refer to May 25th as "Orthodox" Star Wars Day. A day on which one should watch the despecialized versions of the OT (or whatever archival copy you have handy). May the 4th is just a pun day, but most people observe that day, instead of May 25th. I still celebrate on the 25th, though.

Yikes. Taika Waititi seems to have his schedule already filled out for the next decade to come. I just hope he gives this movie the proper attention.
Scheduled to open in December 2024... but I would not mind if he takes his time to do it well. Actually I would prefer if it was delayed until May 2025. Real Star Wars movies open in May!

I will celebrate May 25th by wearing a Star Wars towel in my belt and a sprig of lilac in my shirt pocket.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back