Wow you really like to drive a discussion in 6 directions!
I'll reiterate my original point, the prequels relied too heavily on CGI technology that was not up to the task at the time they were made. There's plenty of other films that have the same problem. I don't know when good CGI is being done because it doesn't look like CGI.
I find the overuse of fledgling CGI tech in the prequels off-putting, takes me out of the story. There's some sfx shots in the OT that don't work well either but the story is engaging enough that my mind glosses over them.
Now that I've typed this I'm leaving my office. ;)
View attachment 1028085

Ah gotcha. I guess I could see that. I guess it just doesn't bother me. As someone had to be the first when it came to CGI.

It’s not necessarily CGI or even greenscreen as such with the prequels, it’s the lack of visual creativity. Flat tripod shots, slow panning, flatly lit sets, everything done in shot-reverse shot. Even ROTJ started to have these issues.

Isn't that kinda George's filming style? ANH is filmed exactly like that. That's why that added crane shot in the SE as they're going into Mos Eisley feels so out of place. George doesn't do things like that normally.

Though I have to disagree about the flatly lit sets. I just watched ROTS and there's some really nice lighting that happens. Not all the time. But it's there.

Isn't that kinda George's filming style? ANH is filmed exactly like that. That's why that added crane shot in the SE as they're going into Mos Eisley feels so out of place. George doesn't do things like that normally.

Though I have to disagree about the flatly lit sets. I just watched ROTS and there's some really nice lighting that happens. Not all the time. But it's there.
Yea I agree with that. ANH is a triumph of editing over all the material that was shot and the entire middle part of the film is our heroes running around so there’s some fluidity. Regarding ROTJ the throne room is well lit, and is a beautiful set agreed. There’s a few neat shots in Jabba’s palace as well. But the conversation in the throne room is just dull, face, reverse face. Han and Leia on Endor, Luke and Ben, Luke and Vader are the usual formulaic dialogue shots that are everywhere in the prequels.
Just reading Rinzler’s book on ANH, no surprise George wanted to do documentaries initially.

Oh sorry misread, thought you meant ROTJ. Any specific scenes in ROTS? Genuinely curious, haven’t seen in ages. Anakin’s march on the Jedi temple kinda stands out but not much else to me.

Oh sorry misread, thought you meant ROTJ. Any specific scenes in ROTS? Genuinely curious, haven’t seen in ages. Anakin’s march on the Jedi temple kinda stands out but not much else to me.

Your good (y)

Not super amazing or anything. But I really love the lighting in the scene where Obi-Wan and Anakin say good bye. Anakin is standing in the shadow while Obi-Wan is standing in the light. Some subtle foreshadowing. And scene where Anakin is talking to Yoda. And the light is coming through the window shutters, in strips. Also the scene where Anakin and Padmé are connecting while the sun sets. The somber golden light coming in, is just gorgeous.

ab67f2d45e0c1a136bcf9a3ad6e5ceb7f5c52f06.png

Interesting hybrid of ESB and ANH. I like it!

Thanks! It's a 90% accurate replica of the Rey/Luke TFA/TLJ hero prop. The only things off are, the way clamp cover is held in place (though I think Roy's method is far superior) and the alignment isn't quite perfect but, is to be expected with a replica flash. The rivets in the grips don't go through the tube, so electronics can be added if so wished. And it's TGS flashgun, so some of the rivets have been cleverly replaced with screws. So not 100% accurate, but I'm very happy with it.

So many mind blowing moments. Vader, R2 and 3PO, Leia projection, macrobinoculars, the landspeder, Obi Wan in the Cantina with Ponda Baba, Hammerhead, Chewie, Han shooting Greedo, the Mellinneium Falcon... and that's all before leaving Tatooine, which had 2 freaking suns!

It was sensory overload for an 8 year old and to that date the most amazing thing anyone had seen in a movie was Jaws.

Still, this was the moment...

Very nice.

I still remember being in the theatre in 1977 seeing the Graflex flash to life for the first time. I think that's the moment that I fell in love with Star Wars.

Here's my ANH Graflex. Now we need someone to post ESB and TROS versions to complete the set. ;)

View attachment 1030102View attachment 1030103View attachment 1030104

Very nice!!! There has been some ground breaking discovery’s lately, and Roy at wannawanga now has a accurate 2 rivet d ring setup if your looking to upgrade

True or not, Kennedy is a franchise destroyer and should be replaced. She's nearly destroyed two of my favorite properties in my life time. Star Wars has not been what it should be under her watch, and before that Jurassic Park as a franchise was thrown into development Hell for a decade and a half because of her lousy decision making. I swear that woman has only gotten anywhere in life because of who she's made friends with and not her track record.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back