Again we are simply saying there is critical information missing.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having a gap between trilogies as long as you set the stage well, which to my mind they didn't.

Critical information? I don't think there's critical information missing. It's maybe not as clear cut, but pretty much everything you need to know is there.

Isn't that what happens when have a 30 year gap though?

Yes, but my point is that if the gap is 30 years and important events then as Star Wars fans we are used to it being either covered or skipped by marking the missing episodes.

Like in the 19 year gap between 3 and 4. A gap is fine as there was not really anything that happened when you are talking about the skywalker saga. If 7 had started off 30 years later with Luke running an academy and Leia and Han together serving the new republic with an adult son who is having some attitude problems, that would seem like a natural pick up of events 30 years later. We would say, okay... 30 years not really missed much.

But instead there is this missing story of Leia and Han split. As son that was born and went to the dark side, A Jedi academy built and destroyed, the rise of the FO and the back stories of key players like Rey. There is probably enough missing story to make up another trilogy. As Star Wars fans, we would have accepted this missing story if TFA was actually presented at episode 10. I'm not saying they should make another trilogy of backstory, but I am trying to point out that as it is now, it sort of screws the way us fans expect the skywalker saga to be told.

All of the story elements that are alluded to hinted at or glossed over are far more interesting than anything they showed. Besides they raised more questions than they answered.

And I don’t think it’s Ben’s fall that needs to be seen. Have him and The Knights be the Menace of the series, and a real threat from the get go. Maybe they should have been the force that goes to Jakku at the beginning of TFA and not a bunch of TKs. Have Phasma elevated to one after losing one or two *shrug*.

Showing us what makes them so special by tearing through the Resistance troops like so much fodder. Maybe lose one or two over the course of 7&8 to show Rey has grown in her use of the Force(post training).

Hokey as it was, having Fett escape the Sarlaac pit made some good stories down the road. I really enjoyed him training Jaina in the novels.

Dr. Aphra - I think she’s great. Gives us a cross between Indiana Jones and Han Solo and has her own adventures. Plus who doesn’t love 000 the anti-C3PO, and BT?

Yes, but my point is that if the gap is 30 years and important events then as Star Wars fans we are used to it being either covered or skipped by marking the missing episodes.

Like in the 19 year gap between 3 and 4. A gap is fine as there was not really anything that happened when you are talking about the skywalker saga. If 7 had started off 30 years later with Luke running an academy and Leia and Han together serving the new republic with an adult son who is having some attitude problems, that would seem like a natural pick up of events 30 years later. We would say, okay... 30 years not really missed much.

But instead there is this missing story of Leia and Han split. As son that was born and went to the dark side, A Jedi academy built and destroyed, the rise of the FO and the back stories of key players like Rey. There is probably enough missing story to make up another trilogy. As Star Wars fans, we would have accepted this missing story if TFA was actually presented at episode 10. I'm not saying they should make another trilogy of backstory, but I am trying to point out that as it is now, it sort of screws the way us fans expect the skywalker saga to be told.

As I see it. If you follow the story from ROTS to ANH theres a plenty that happens in those 19 years.(there are a lot of books, comics, TV shows and games that take place in those 19 years) I mean Star Wars films have always kinda dropped you into the middle of the story. That what's gives it that episodic, Buck Rodgers, serial format feel. That along with the title crawl that fills you in what you "missed." Just look how ANH drops you into the middle of fight, which takes place after some battle. We didn't get to see that battle until 39 years later. There's also ATOC which is 10 years after TPM. It just drops you into the story. Anakin's a Jedi now, Padmé is a senator, etc etc a lot happened in between. Or ROTS, again your dropped right smack dab into a battle. Completely glossing over 3 years of a terrible galactic war. Which got told later. So what TFA did and the Sequel Trilogy on a whole, from my point of view, seems to be quite on par with the rest of the films.

And I don’t think it’s Ben’s fall that needs to be seen. Have him and The Knights be the Menace of the series, and a real threat from the get go. Maybe they should have been the force that goes to Jakku at the beginning of TFA and not a bunch of TKs. Have Phasma elevated to one after losing one or two *shrug*.

Showing us what makes them so special by tearing through the Resistance troops like so much fodder. Maybe lose one or two over the course of 7&8 to show Rey has grown in her use of the Force(post training).

Hokey as it was, having Fett escape the Sarlaac pit made some good stories down the road. I really enjoyed him training Jaina in the novels.

Dr. Aphra - I think she’s great. Gives us a cross between Indiana Jones and Han Solo and has her own adventures. Plus who doesn’t love 000 the anti-C3PO, and BT?

What is it with murderous droids? Everyone loves them!

As I see it. If you follow the story from ROTS to ANH theres a plenty that happens in those 19 years.(there are a lot of books, comics, TV shows and games that take place in those 19 years) I mean Star Wars films have always kinda dropped you into the middle of the story. That what's gives it that episodic, Buck Rodgers, serial format feel. That along with the title crawl that fills you in what you "missed." Just look how ANH drops you into the middle of fight, which takes place after some battle. We didn't get to see that battle until 39 years later. There's also ATOC which is 10 years after TPM. It just drops you into the story. Anakin's a Jedi now, Padmé is a senator, etc etc a lot happened in between. Or ROTS, again your dropped right smack dab into a battle. Completely glossing over 3 years of a terrible galactic war. Which got told later. So what TFA did and the Sequel Trilogy on a whole, from my point of view, seems to be quite on par with the rest of the films.

There are a lot of Star Wars stories during that time but if you go back and look at my post, i said story pertaining to the Skywalker Saga. And in those 19 years for the sake of the overall story, nothing happened.

Things like Padme becoming a Senator does not need to be explained. Eps 1. She is a Queen, Eps 2, she is a senator. You don't need an explanation, for that really. They did in give you simple line in the movie and it was enough. But it's not a story that needs to be told.

And yes, the movies tend to drop you in mid action but the opening crawl is enough to get you situated. There is way too much story that needs to betold and explained in the sequel trilogy. So much so that for the first time in the Saga, they had to have flashbacks and flashback visions in order to convey to the audience what was going on. The other proof is how conflicted fans are about Luke and his almost cold blooded murder of Ben. This is because we only know Luke from what we last saw of him in Return of the Jedi. So for a lot of fans, it just doesn't make sense. But if you had 3 movies of story development of pressures and incidents that happened that caused the changes in Luke and Ben so that the audience understood Luke's feelings and why he felt such action might be needed, fans would not feel as lost.

I'm not alone, take a look at my last couple posts and see how many likes they received in support.

Last edited:
Another missed opportunity to have told this story in the films themselves. It amazes me how often Lucasfilm manages to tell more interesting stories off screen in ancillary material.

This was another let down for me. TFA made me feel a medieval times vibe. I liked it. The way kylo dressed, the crossguard being based on a German long sword, the max castle, the whole “knights of the round table(ren

And then we never heard anything else about it..

I hope in 9 we get more of this medieval feel

I have some commentary on other things discussed over the last couple pages, but I'm pressed for time at the moment, so I'm just going to post officially the dumbest thing I've ever seen in Star Wars. Dumber than the Great Heep, dumber than Jaxxon. From the new Vader miniseries, I give you the lightsaber rifle:

1563838661980.png

It uses a lightsaber as its ammo -- seen in the top slot, there. And uses that to fire an OP energy blast. It's good for maybe five shots before the lightsaber ammo is slagged. This is the most ridonkulously redundant, unnecessary, and contrived thing I've run across. Between blasters and lightsabers, I'm not sure which -- tens of thousands of years ago or more -- canonically came first. They both are plasma weapons. I feel like the blade emerging from the lightsaber hilt but remaining attached would be an easier engineering challenge than creating discrete packets of energetic plasma and getting them to go where you want downrange.

So. A powerful plasma weapon that needs a kyber crystal. Sounds like a thumbnail description of the Death Star superlaser to me, which I never felt was a technology that came out of nowhere. So I could accept the Jedi Order making a rifle (see the logo on the receiver?) that employs the same elements and technology as a lightsaber to perhaps maybe make something not as "clumsy and random" as a regular blaster, but still evoking the same premise as the invention of archery:

1563839063993.png

...Only with a lightsaber. But actually using a lightsaber as ammo? *sigh*

I have some commentary on other things discussed over the last couple pages, but I'm pressed for time at the moment,
Sorry, you had your chance. :p

I give you the lightsaber rifle:
I was curious about this so I looked it up on wookieepedia:

Mostly it states what you said and then some story elements. But I agree that it looks to be a handheld version of the Death Star's main weapon. Without seeing it used in the comic, the only benefit I would see is if it is so powerful that a Sith could not reflect it via another lightsaber, and/or their hand (Vader in The Empire Strikes Back) and/or freeze the bolt in midair (Kylo in TFA). The good thing is that they gave it a weakness of limited use. So it makes it seem as if it would be only a benefit under very special circumstances but otherwise not worth it as a practical weapon. I also agree the use of a lightsaber as the energy source is sort of ridiculous. Maybe the author was influenced by he THE ORIGINAL SERIES phasers where phaser two works with phaser one. It would seem less silly if they just had the weapon built around the kyber crystal and leave it at that.

dumber than Jaxxon
Aww... come on... Is he any more silly that any other weird animal headed humanoid creature that we see in the cantina and hold in high regard? I actually would not mind see him or his species introduced into canon.

Although not acknowledged as a Lepi nor do we actually know what this species looks like with flesh, it is possible that this easter egg from Clone Wars and fan nod to Jaxxon might... I repeat "might" be such a creature.

CiHp5yRUUAAGKfW.jpg

CiHp54wUYAAVl_v.jpg

Last edited:
There are a lot of Star Wars stories during that time but if you go back and look at my post, i said story pertaining to the Skywalker Saga. And in those 19 years for the sake of the overall story, nothing happened.

Things like Padme becoming a Senator does not need to be explained. Eps 1. She is a Queen, Eps 2, she is a senator. You don't need an explanation, for that really. They did in give you simple line in the movie and it was enough. But it's not a story that needs to be told.

And yes, the movies tend to drop you in mid action but the opening crawl is enough to get you situated. There is way too much story that needs to betold and explained in the sequel trilogy. So much so that for the first time in the Saga, they had to have flashbacks and flashback visions in order to convey to the audience what was going on. The other proof is how conflicted fans are about Luke and his almost cold blooded murder of Ben. This is because we only know Luke from what we last saw of him in Return of the Jedi. So for a lot of fans, it just doesn't make sense. But if you had 3 movies of story development of pressures and incidents that happened that caused the changes in Luke and Ben so that the audience understood Luke's feelings and why he felt such action might be needed, fans would not feel as lost.

I'm not alone, take a look at my last couple posts and see how many likes they received in support.

Force visions have been apart been in Star Wars. "...Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future... the past. Old friends long gone." The only true flashback was in TLJ. And Rian was clever enough to instead of just doing a plain old flashback, to do the whole Rashomon thing. Which salvaged the whole flashback thing for me. Generally speaking I'm not really fond of flashbacks. In fact I remember saying to myself in the theater "ugh, a flashback?"

So sure they could have shown all that in the beginning. Like have that in an episode 9. And have what is episode 7, would have been episode 10. But that would have gotten rid of all the mystery around Luke. Of what happened to him and where the heck he went. That would have been mind-numbing boring. I so enjoy a good mystery. Plus that means they should have made episode 7 like 2008, or something.

Why would you need 3 movies show what Luke was feeling? If ROTJ is the only thing fans have to go off of. Then they've got it all laid out for them. Because it ROTJ we learn that Luke has a dark side. And he will react violently when his sister is threatened.
MisguidedAbsoluteFallowdeer-size_restricted.gif

This was another let down for me. TFA made me feel a medieval times vibe. I liked it. The way kylo dressed, the crossguard being based on a German long sword, the max castle, the whole “knights of the round table(ren

And then we never heard anything else about it..

I hope in 9 we get more of this medieval feel

JJ did say in his audio commentary that he was going for that fairy tale look. What with a prince and a castle and all.

Forget the whole Luke contemplates murdering Ben in his sleep. Ben attacks him when he is confronted. Luke is left for dead and the temple destroyed.

Luke goes to the island looking for answers after being heartbroken about losing Ben. His ship malfunctions and he crashes, barely surviving and he is rescued by the natives who nurse him back to health. He studies the Jedi texts and learns something new about the Force that will help him defeat/ save Ben but with his ship destroyed he can't leave the island. This place is like Dagobah with no technology to help him leave so he's trapped there. Whether he tells this to Rey or it is shown in flashback is not so much important as long as the information is given to the audience.

That's how you explain him being stuck on that island without turning him into a dick. Simple and makes logical sense.

But no. We get Jake Skywalker.

This has always been my biggest contention with 8, far above my issues with Rey and the rest of the gang. The way Luke was handled was just awful. None of my ideas change what we were given but I'm just illustrating how with some simple tweaking Rian could have EASILY answered the mystery of Luke's whereabouts without creating an entire scenario that would have confused/ angered fans just to satisfy his own ego. And yes it was about satisfying his ego. He's said on multiple occasions that it wasn't about making what the fans wanted but about making what he wanted.

Which raises an important question. If Ben destroyed the temple and left Luke for dead, why is the First Order looking for a dead man? Which is literally the whole plot of 7.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back