With or without Lucas . . . either way, I see a "multiverse" in this franchise's future. "Alternate timelines". Whatever.

Disney has a decade of bad SW work that needs to be retconned out, and they won't be willing to truly retcon it. Branching out the timeline is the path of least resistance from here.

With or without Lucas . . . either way, I see a "multiverse" in this franchise's future. "Alternate timelines". Whatever.

Disney has a decade of bad SW work that needs to be retconned out, and they won't be willing to truly retcon it. Branching out the timeline is the path of least resistance from here.
I’ve been totally against the marvel multiverse ever since that 616 bs came out… I saw it nothing more but a mimic to sell more books, and it devalues all the characters sacrifices and deaths..

But with what they have done to Star Wars, a world between worlds multiverse is the only thing that will bring me back into the franchise

Disney has already inserted crap into the middle of the Lucas-era timeline. They have added rules & lore to the universe that don't work. Etc. Changing the timeline direction after some specific point won't cover it. The only true fix is to scrap big chunks of recent content.

I know it won't happen. But it needs to.

To a lesser extent you could make the same arguments about anywhere else in the franchise, though.

Plenty of people don't include the PT in their head-canon, only the OT.

ROTJ is the weakest movie in the OT. The entire Luke/Leia siblings revelation is questionable.

Some people still fondly remember ANH before they knew Vader was Luke's father.

Last edited:
If Disney could time travel bringing back Lucas of 1980 or 1983, give him the same types of budgetary restraints(adjusted for inflation), release the death grip of control they have over new Star Wars content allowing the project real autonomy, force him to collaborate with writers & directors of the 80's such as Kasdan, Kershner, etc. there could potentially be a great film made.

Otherwise involving present day Lucas with Disney Star Wars is one of the few things that could really make their content worse. He's not the same man he was. I have zero faith that anything he would do now with Star Wars could better it.

Last edited:
George was defending Disney just a couple weeks ago. Lol

“Creating magic is not for amateurs,” Lucas said in a statement released Tuesday. “When I sold Lucasfilm just over a decade ago, I was delighted to become a Disney shareholder because of my longtime admiration for its iconic brand and Bob Iger’s leadership.”

We've come a long way from the "white slavers" comment.

Lucas's comments obviously had financial motives.

Every time they put out another crappy 'Terminator' sequel they get James Cameron to offer a positive comment too. That's how the industry works.

I would still bet on 80yo George Lucas to deliver better storytelling than the Disney machine has been churning out.

But that's not saying anything. George Costanza could probably do that.

If 80yo Lucas leads to better SW, it will be because Disney was desperate enough to make that decision. They finally sought help from outside of their dysfunctional corporate machinery.

As great as Star Wars was, it was mired in the garbage that George had planned with a bunch of yes men at his side. Only because of a couple who stood up to him and were willing to say "no" or to say "this or that isnt working, try something else" is why we got better movies than the horrendous Christmas special which George did alone. He still made awful mistakes after the OT, and frankly even during it. The Special editions are still changes that many OT fans wish would go away. And when the first prequel came out people loved the trailer but hated the movie because of a few character and plot choices George made surrounded by more yes men.

As much as i would love to say that George could come in and save the franchise, or even resurrect it to its original glory, this is not likely simply based on past troubles George has caused of his own creation. The only time the story got any better was with other writers like Zahn and Foster and Veitch, who had a pretty fair handle on things in the universe, and felt fairly open to writing character based novels and stories that were engaging, fun, memorable, and exciting. Why we could not put those to film or television i will never understand.

George is not the answer. The only real answer is to put it to a true fan who has a vision or can tell a good story adhering to the old design. Unfortunately, this probably means no one that was there originally, or pre-disney, would be a good candidate.

And Disney has shown that even though they can do some good on occasion, more often than not, they will make terrible decisions with it as well.
We are doomed to those who don't care about the story or the lore as much as the fans do. They want to fundamentally change everything it is so it fits their values. When it gets to be a business, and money and shareholders bottom lines become the driver, it seems all good ideas or restraint for bad ones goes right out the window.

What a dichotomy.. you want to make money so you please the shareholders by changing the lore and the fans get angry and you lose. But if you were to cater to the fans the money would come and the shares would skyrocket, but that means you have to go against your own shareholders values and plans.
Is there, or has there ever been, a true balance to the force?

George is not the answer. The only real answer is to put it to a true fan who has a vision or can tell a good story adhering to the old design. Unfortunately, this probably means no one that was there originally, or pre-disney, would be a good candidate.

And Disney has shown that even though they can do some good on occasion, more often than not, they will make terrible decisions with it as well.
We are doomed to those who don't care about the story or the lore as much as the fans do. They want to fundamentally change everything it is so it fits their values. When it gets to be a business, and money and shareholders bottom lines become the driver, it seems all good ideas or restraint for bad ones goes right out the window.

What a dichotomy.. you want to make money so you please the shareholders by changing the lore and the fans get angry and you lose. But if you were to cater to the fans the money would come and the shares would skyrocket, but that means you have to go against your own shareholders values and plans.
Is there, or has there ever been, a true balance to the force?

It gets to the deeper issue that corporations are particularly bad at being in charge of creative fields.

They can make profitable decisions in the 2-year sense. But their big elaborate plans usually crash & burn on time scales longer than 5 years.

Yeah, this is all just a big nothing burger imo.

First, Disney has bigger issues in the creative process. They just cant write a decent story to save their life anymore and have really lost the plot. Rewatching Ralph wrecks the Internet, I dont know when it happened but it seems Disney has forgotten their origin story. They mock their own Disney princesses in a scene that paints a very broad stroke on the fairy tale princess archetype which is just wrong.

Around 1:00, Rapunzel asks the "million dollar question" which is "do people assume all of your problems are solved because a big strong man showed up?" which is a feminist take that at the fairy tale princess which is just wrong with many Disney princesses imo. Mulan, Frozen, Brave? Those princesses didnt need any "man" to solve their problems with Brave arguably being a "subversion" of the princess archetype. Disney still has this very strong "girl power" feminist bent that just results in bad stories in all of their current ventures, not just Star Wars (see Wish or modern MCU).

As much as I like Lucas, I know his true love isnt in film making but film making technology. He likes backseat directing which he did in the OT sequels after ANH, the Clone Wars, and tried to do for PT. He was also only interested in Clone Wars because they making "cinema," which was defined by the aspect ratio at which they shot the series. I do think Lucas has effectively retired from film making for quite a while and unless there is some new CGI or tech to play with, he wouldnt be interested in rejoining.

Even if Lucas did return, we have already seen Lucas only output and it is PT. Its creative but still needs alot of brushing up and he really needs peers like Spielberg, Marcia, and/or Kurtz to help temper his bad ideas. Lucas by himself cant save Star Wars even if he was given free reign. There was a reason why people were excited about Star Wars again after it was sold to Disney.

Nevermind the fact that Lucasfilm under Disney has cancelled so many announced projects, any announcement is honestly a coinflip at this point.

The biggest issue with Disney Star Wars (and Disney in general and to be honest, Hollywood in general) is that they currently just have bad writers who cant make anything truly original and entertaining. Everything has to be subversive, undermining what their predecessors have made, or a "reinterpretation." Isnt the new Acolyte series supposedly changing the definition of the dark side, saying that light cannot exist without darkness so the dark side will always exist as long as there is light (which goes against Lucas' original concept of the dark side and the purpose of the one?), nevermind the blatant "we want men to be uncomfortable watching our show" statements. If given this hand, its impossible to create good media.

I agree with a lot of that.

However, the writers are not at the top of the food chain. Somebody hires & instructs & pays them. The buck stops at Disney's top brass. This writing problem is at least 10-15 years old and it's been trending steadily worse the whole time.

We've come a long way from the "white slavers" comment.

IMG_4314.jpeg

Yeah, this is all just a big nothing burger imo.

First, Disney has bigger issues in the creative process. They just cant write a decent story to save their life anymore and have really lost the plot. Rewatching Ralph wrecks the Internet, I dont know when it happened but it seems Disney has forgotten their origin story. They mock their own Disney princesses in a scene that paints a very broad stroke on the fairy tale princess archetype which is just wrong.

Around 1:00, Rapunzel asks the "million dollar question" which is "do people assume all of your problems are solved because a big strong man showed up?" which is a feminist take that at the fairy tale princess which is just wrong with many Disney princesses imo. Mulan, Frozen, Brave? Those princesses didnt need any "man" to solve their problems with Brave arguably being a "subversion" of the princess archetype. Disney still has this very strong "girl power" feminist bent that just results in bad stories in all of their current ventures, not just Star Wars (see Wish or modern MCU).

As much as I like Lucas, I know his true love isnt in film making but film making technology. He likes backseat directing which he did in the OT sequels after ANH, the Clone Wars, and tried to do for PT. He was also only interested in Clone Wars because they making "cinema," which was defined by the aspect ratio at which they shot the series. I do think Lucas has effectively retired from film making for quite a while and unless there is some new CGI or tech to play with, he wouldnt be interested in rejoining.

Even if Lucas did return, we have already seen Lucas only output and it is PT. Its creative but still needs alot of brushing up and he really needs peers like Spielberg, Marcia, and/or Kurtz to help temper his bad ideas. Lucas by himself cant save Star Wars even if he was given free reign. There was a reason why people were excited about Star Wars again after it was sold to Disney.

Nevermind the fact that Lucasfilm under Disney has cancelled so many announced projects, any announcement is honestly a coinflip at this point.

The biggest issue with Disney Star Wars (and Disney in general and to be honest, Hollywood in general) is that they currently just have bad writers who cant make anything truly original and entertaining. Everything has to be subversive, undermining what their predecessors have made, or a "reinterpretation." Isnt the new Acolyte series supposedly changing the definition of the dark side, saying that light cannot exist without darkness so the dark side will always exist as long as there is light (which goes against Lucas' original concept of the dark side and the purpose of the one?), nevermind the blatant "we want men to be uncomfortable watching our show" statements. If given this hand, its impossible to create good media.
The making men uncomfortable quote was taken out of context. It’s already been pointed out on here, what it was actually referring to and why.

The making men uncomfortable quote was taken out of context. It’s already been pointed out on here, what it was actually referring to and why.
Looking into it, yeah you are right. Thanks to all the "Star Wars fans" that want to use it as a vehicle of political opinion. I was wrong there.

Can Lucas save Star Wars? No. Can anyone save Star Wars? No. Why? If the last 25 years of member-berry movie making has taught me anything, it's that you can't go home again. Times change, places change, and most significantly, people change as do their sensibilities.

George is not the same filmmaker he was in the 1970's and '80s. He's probably no longer even the same as he was in the late '90s and 2000's. But even if we got the old George back, what about John Williams, Joe Johnston, Lawrence Kasdan, Irvin Kershner, Marcia Lucas, Gary Kurtz, Ralph McQuarrie, and the remaining myriad of talent that crafted the OT? How can it work again without them? And would they have the same sensibilities as well?

Beyond that, much of the charm of Star Wars is rooted in the time it was made. A sincere, straight forward, adventure fairy tale can't survive the parody-ridden minds of today's writers. The gritty, lived-in look of the OT doesn't translate well to cgi. The Ralph McQuarrie inspired design of the universe still hasn't been effectively duplicated. When I watch the OT, everything looks so good from the costumes to the ships to the sets. In the Disney era, everything looks so...lame. Seriously, I watch the new Star Wars content and it comes off so nerdy and goofy. Stormtroopers look like plasticky cosplayers now holding their toyish-looking blasters. Pilot costumes are ill-fitting and the colors too vibrant. Aliens in prominent roles feels cartoonish. Jedi Knights are all dorky looking with their Tai chi nonsense. Let's not even talk about Boba Fat. Actually, let's talk about him. Boba Fett's armor is fairly simplistic in design yet it looked badass in the OT because it was tailored to fit Jeremy Bulloch and the gray fatigues that he wore underneath gave a utilitarian look. With Temura, his dad bod and black under layers don't enhance the costume but rather accentuate the shortcomings of it. These may be little things but they stick out to me like a sore thumb because the OT excelled with details like those. My point is maybe Star Wars was always "goofy" looking but at the time, they knew how to account for it. Plastic stormtroopers looked great then, not so much now. Cgi spaceships will never look as authentic as miniature models. They can't even get lightsabers right. Digital color grading is perhaps my biggest pet peeve of modern film making. Even if they used all practical effects, it'd still look fake thanks to modern editing styles.

We'd all love the magic of the OT again when it comes to Star Wars but we're too far removed from it. Even if you took Disney out of the equation, you'd need all the other pieces to fall into place and unless you have access to a time machine to go back to 1984, it's just not happening. And it's not happening for Indiana Jones, or Ghostbusters, or Terminator, or Alien, or Jurassic Park, or all the other film franchises we grew up with. Sure, you can have mediocre approximations like we've gotten but why would you want that?

Can Lucas save Star Wars? No. Can anyone save Star Wars? No. Why? If the last 25 years of member-berry movie making has taught me anything, it's that you can't go home again. Times change, places change, and most significantly, people change as do their sensibilities.

George is not the same filmmaker he was in the 1970's and '80s. He's probably no longer even the same as he was in the late '90s and 2000's. But even if we got the old George back, what about John Williams, Joe Johnston, Lawrence Kasdan, Irvin Kershner, Marcia Lucas, Gary Kurtz, Ralph McQuarrie, and the remaining myriad of talent that crafted the OT? How can it work again without them? And would they have the same sensibilities as well?

Beyond that, much of the charm of Star Wars is rooted in the time it was made. A sincere, straight forward, adventure fairy tale can't survive the parody-ridden minds of today's writers. The gritty, lived-in look of the OT doesn't translate well to cgi. The Ralph McQuarrie inspired design of the universe still hasn't been effectively duplicated. When I watch the OT, everything looks so good from the costumes to the ships to the sets. In the Disney era, everything looks so...lame. Seriously, I watch the new Star Wars content and it comes off so nerdy and goofy. Stormtroopers look like plasticky cosplayers now holding their toyish-looking blasters. Pilot costumes are ill-fitting and the colors too vibrant. Aliens in prominent roles feels cartoonish. Jedi Knights are all dorky looking with their Tai chi nonsense. Let's not even talk about Boba Fat. Actually, let's talk about him. Boba Fett's armor is fairly simplistic in design yet it looked badass in the OT because it was tailored to fit Jeremy Bulloch and the gray fatigues that he wore underneath gave a utilitarian look. With Temura, his dad bod and black under layers don't enhance the costume but rather accentuate the shortcomings of it. These may be little things but they stick out to me like a sore thumb because the OT excelled with details like those. My point is maybe Star Wars was always "goofy" looking but at the time, they knew how to account for it. Plastic stormtroopers looked great then, not so much now. Cgi spaceships will never look as authentic as miniature models. They can't even get lightsabers right. Digital color grading is perhaps my biggest pet peeve of modern film making. Even if they used all practical effects, it'd still look fake thanks to modern editing styles.

We'd all love the magic of the OT again when it comes to Star Wars but we're too far removed from it. Even if you took Disney out of the equation, you'd need all the other pieces to fall into place and unless you have access to a time machine to go back to 1984, it's just not happening. And it's not happening for Indiana Jones, or Ghostbusters, or Terminator, or Alien, or Jurassic Park, or all the other film franchises we grew up with. Sure, you can have mediocre approximations like we've gotten but why would you want that?
Easy way to save Star Wars, stop touching legendary characters, we don’t need young Luke and Leia.. we don’t need to know about how the Death Star panels were taken, leave the stuff alone

Make brand new stuff not related to the original story

That’s just how I feel

90% of my arguing is because they have changed or ruined the original story… I think if they didn’t touch any of it, I’d complain less

All I want is a properly restored theatrical cut on 4K bluray. I doubt that will ever happen, but that's literally the only thing that Lucasfilm could release that would interest me. If it happens, and that's a big IF, I would buy a few copies for my collection. I don't care about brands, just great storytelling.

Hogwarts Legacy sold around 20 million copies in its first year at $60 a pop, more importantly it was a good game.

Star Wars literally covers every genre of video games. The future of SW is not film or TV but games. How do you get new young people into SW? make a really good games.

Same goes for Indiana Jones. No one cares about movies or tv for Indie, but game series.....yes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back