294583108_783417542664518_9046382579354228562_n.jpg
294550408_783417605997845_3801060614595519487_n.jpg

Saw this on Facebook. We all know about the old footage used. But what I found more interesting is difference in cockpit and where the engines are in relation to the pilot. View attachment 1600826
Oh weird. They changed the focal length so that the camera is wider and closer in Rogue One, instead of a longer focal length shot from farther away. That way the camera feels like it’s inside the cockpit, instead of outside. That’s neat!

Edit: My horrible mobile phone typing

Last edited:
I've never understood why they bothered. The original footage would've cut in fine, seems to me. (Saying that without actually trying it)

Yes. Of him already in an X-Wing cockpit. If the details were slightly different than the R1 cockpits, so what? It's a different X-Wing.

Yeah it seems kind of odd they spent the time and money on that. I'm sure, like real world fighters, there are many variants of X-Wings with slightly different layouts. They even mentioned something like that in the X-Wing books where they were checking out new fighters they just received for differences. Tycho mentioned the A-Wing he flew at Endor was made on a forest planet so the console dash was partly or wholly made of wood. I'm guessing for the Rebels, an actual factory might have been a luxury and some of their stuff was built in hidden makeshift factories that used what they could scrounge.

Yes. Of him already in an X-Wing cockpit. If the details were slightly different than the R1 cockpits, so what? It's a different X-Wing.

Yeah it seems kind of odd they spent the time and money on that. I'm sure, like real world fighters, there are many variants of X-Wings with slightly different layouts. They even mentioned something like that in the X-Wing books where they were checking out new fighters they just received for differences. Tycho mentioned the A-Wing he flew at Endor was made on a forest planet so the console dash was partly or wholly made of wood. I'm guessing for the Rebels, an actual factory might have been a luxury and some of their stuff was built in hidden makeshift factories that used what they could scrounge.
Something I noticed. In the footage they used, Red Leader's X-wing doesn't have the targeting computer behind his head. Of course the digital Rogue One cockpit does. So I thought I go through the Death Star attack. And sure enough. In some shots you can see the targeting computer. In others, it's not there. (This goes just about everyone, not just Red Leader.) If I had to guess. I bet the cockpit was redressed for the trench run sequence. And then some shots were filmed after the redressing. Hence the continuity error.

At the Battle of Scarif, Red 5 gets destroyed. So, Luke takes the call sign several days/ weeks(?) later at the Battle of Yavin. In an X-wing with 5 ALREADY WEATHERED stripes on the wings. Knowing this would be a different physical X-wing fighter craft, why would the rebellion paint it with 5 WEATHERED wing stripes? (And yes, I know that the full sized on set fighter that Mark Hamill used did NOT match the paint scheme of the filming model). Just asking....

It had to have been a leftover helmet from a pilot who was lost in some other way, or it was acquired by the Alliance among all the other surplus stuff they were equipping themselves with, just as one might find a fighter pilot helmet on eBay with no one knowing who it belonged to when it was in service. It is not suggested, IMO, that the Rebels unboxed a fresh unused helmet and painted/decaled it up for him (much less weathered it).

So yeah, all those kill marks, if that's what they are? Stolen valor, Luke!!

For years I used to think that the kill-marks on Luke's helmet were for the two TIE Fighters he had shot with the turret on the Millennium Falcon. Then I saw that there are more than two marks on it ...

Last edited:
That kind of minutia doesn't really interest me because they play so fast and loose with the Canon anymore. These details, while cool, don't effect the story and why people get hung up on them is something I don't really understand anymore. Much of it came out of all the ancillary material anyway. The model makers and set builders just added things to make everything look good on camera with little thought to what it meant. When I was deep into the lore it was fun to dissect, but that stuff just isn't for me, though I'm glad there are fans out there that do love getting lost in the finest of details.

That kind of minutia doesn't really interest me because they play so fast and loose with the Canon anymore. These details, while cool, don't effect the story and why people get hung up on them is something I don't really understand anymore. Much of it came out of all the ancillary material anyway. The model makers and set builders just added things to make everything look good on camera with little thought to what it meant. When I was deep into the lore it was fun to dissect, but that stuff just isn't for me, though I'm glad there are fans out there that do love getting lost in the finest of details.
Yeah, in a fb group someone was asking what all the helmet symbols meant, and someone had an in-universe answer, which is fine, but all I could think was "the prop guy thought a circle-swirl thing would look cool right there".

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back