Why are light sabers portrayed as impalement weapons?

When Maul stabs Qui-Gon, he "freezes" in shock as Maul pulls the blade out, and then Qui-Gon falls.
Same with Reva in OWK, when she impales the Grand Inquisitor.
Same with Vader on the rebel soldier in Rogue One (when he impales him through the door)

Realistically, the aggressor would not have "slid" the blade out of the victim along its path to remove it as you would with a sword or spear... they would have completed the slash through the side of the body to remove it (or just turned the blade off).

And the saber is not a pole that will support the victim's weight while they are standing there. As the victim, you would fall in some direction against the blade, which would slice through your side.
We're talking about a space fantasy where combat in space is a re-enactment of aerial combat.
Makes sense that "laser swords" are also treated like imitations of regular ones.

So, the Rotten Tomatoes score for Obi-wan Kenobi‘s audience score is now 59%. Looks like that bump that they tried to pad the positive numbers is slowly being removed.

democracy GIF

Why are light sabers portrayed as impalement weapons?

When Maul stabs Qui-Gon, he "freezes" in shock as Maul pulls the blade out, and then Qui-Gon falls.
Same with Reva in OWK, when she impales the Grand Inquisitor.
Same with Vader on the rebel soldier in Rogue One (when he impales him through the door)

Realistically, the aggressor would not have "slid" the blade out of the victim along its path to remove it as you would with a sword or spear... they would have completed the slash through the side of the body to remove it (or just turned the blade off).

And the saber is not a pole that will support the victim's weight while they are standing there. As the victim, you would fall in some direction against the blade, which would slice through your side.
In universe, maybe in reality the stab is quick so the saber is out even before the stabee falls. Kind of like the traditional japanese duel where there is a beat before the loser falls to the floor bleeding when in reality death should be near instant. I do think the rule on lightsabers is not well established across the medium to be honest. BoBF is the first one that brings up the fact that sabers have a gyroscopic effect that makes them very hard for non-force wielders to use and I think justifies why jedi and sith twirl while fighting (they are controlling the gyroscopic force for stronger swings maybe).

Out of universe, probably because its messy and wont give a PG-rating. Qui Gon would have been gutted with stuff spilling out on the floor. especially as the saber tears open his guts as he falls to the side. The Rebel soldier would be split in half as his body falls through the lightsaber. Thats Saw levels of gore.

I think in the books, sabers also give off intense heat and have their own issues like shorting out when the blade touches water, requiring a restart unless the saber is designed for underwater combat like for Kit Fisto. Would be cool if they did a young jedi series or something where they delved into the nitty gritty aspects of lightsabers and incorporated that into fights (like Anakin purposefully sabotage an opponent's weapon mid fight because he is so good with tech).

While this is pretty violent (nsfw), I've always liked the idea of saber battles that utilized outside-the-box combat styles:

Jedi Outcast had a mode that you could unlock (forgot how, console or something) with dismemberment. I have a cool screenshot of cutting a Reborn in half and I just happened to Force push him and it shot his top half off his bottom half.

Just some rambling thoughts I've been having about the old EU.

So my history with the Expanded Universe has been mixed. When I first found out about it, when I was a kid. Probably some time in the early 2000's (must have been before ROTS had released). I hated it. But it very quickly grew on me.

I came to love it most of it. Particularly the video games I had. The Knights of the Old Republic series. Battlefront games. Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Rogue Squadron III. And eventually The Force Unleashed games. I would spend hours going through Wookieepedia. Reading The New Essential Chronology (which I got from an inter library book loan, anyone remember those? Lol), The Ultimate Visual Guide, and any other books I could find at the library. I remember reading the Republic Commando and Darth Bane series.

By 2014 and the Canon reset, I was pretty heavily invested, though I hadn't read that many novels. So of course I felt kinda sad(Kyle Katarn!) that the EU was going away. I understand why it had too, but I still didn't like it. Eventually I made my way through The Clone Wars, and then onto Rebels, and came to prefer Canon over the now rebranded Legends.

But last week something clicked. It started with the official release of the KOTOR 2 soundtrack. I spent the day while working listening to the score on Spotify. And then I came across a post on Reddit.
View attachment 1586865
And I got hit with a face full of nostalgia. I love THE Clone Wars.....but the Clone Wars multimedia project.....I remember. That was my golden age of Star Wars from about 2002, to about 2008. I remember pouring over Walmart catalogs with AOTC toys. In 2003 I got Rogue Squadron III and a Game Cube. And by 2006 I had an X-wing, B-wings, A-wing, Snowspeeder, TIE, AT-ST, and a Star destroyer in LEGO. I could continue my Rogue Squadron adventures in when my gaming time was up. I remember The Saga Collection, Saga Legends, and The 30th Anniversary Collection from Hasbro we're from 2006 to 2008. Still some of the best waves Hasbro has ever done.

A few days ago I started browsing the Legends pages of Wookieepedia. And I started to remember the Expanded Universe again. I felt almost like Théoden grasping his sword. I was young again..... Then sadness..... My son will probably never ever get to experience what I had. The shelves upon shelves of Star Wars toys. When kids cared for toys not tablets. And the new Canon? Sure there's some good points. THE Clone Wars is good. But it was like a slap in the face of the EU authors. Yes George was never beholden to the EU, but he completely changed everything. Even projects he was more involved with eventually got wiped, like the Bane trilogy, and The Force Unleashed. Karen Traviss and her Mandalorian history, was gone. Yes Obi-Wan's relationship with the Duchess was good. And the the story they've told about Mandalore has been good. But it came at such a high cost.

So here I sit. My Disney+(gosh I hate that George sold it to them) subscription is up in November. The first season of The Mandalorian was good. The Bad Batch was really fun. But it's slowly began to loose me. The Mandalorian season 2 was over stuffed. The Book of Boba Fett, wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. And Obi-Wan Kenobi, has left much to be desired, not that it's bad. It's not. "Canon" is slowly slipping away from me. Sure I'd kinda like to see what happens to Din and company. And Ahsoka. But I don't NEED it. No I'm going to go and finally buy some of those old reference books I read as a kid. I'm finally going to get the Luceno/Stover Trilogy. I'm going get The Tales of the Jedi comics. I'm going get the Thrawn Trilogy. My son will grow up on the "classics" with the Expanded Universe. With some "Canon" sprinkled throughout. Kyle Katarn, Starkiller, and Shadows of the Empire...... I'm coming back.
Have you listened to the soundtrack in the car? A whole new experience. I have the Kotor soundtrack and it is phenomenal...I loved Kotor, Jedi outcast, Jedi Academy but thankfully, never got into the books that came out in the EU...why thankful? Because now I can get a new experience out of Star Wars with blasts from the past through books. Hope they are good. Any recommendations?

Have you listened to the soundtrack in the car? A whole new experience. I have the Kotor soundtrack and it is phenomenal...I loved Kotor, Jedi outcast, Jedi Academy but thankfully, never got into the books that came out in the EU...why thankful? Because now I can get a new experience out of Star Wars with blasts from the past through books. Hope they are good. Any recommendations?
I personally like The new Jedi order book Star by Star came out in 2001,Legacy of the Force Invincible,Betrayal and Sacrifice was a good trilogy imo.Then OG like Heir to the Empire,Dark Force Rising,and the Last Command aka the Thrawn trilogy. I even have a Leia saber from the Last Command.
image.jpg

They recently dropped the soundtrack for KOTOR 2! I've been listening to both KOTOR scores!

I'm in the same position! I really didn't get into the novels, some I'm thrilled to get started into them! I think I want to delve into the Thrawn Trilogy first. Then either the Jedi Academy series or the Revenge of the Sith trio, of Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Darth Vader! I remember reading Revenge of the Sith when I was a kid. As I recall the novel is absolutely killer. The Bane Trilogy was also awesome. I've actually got a book coming in the mail, it's not a novel, but it's an awesome book.

But "there was no father".
???
Oh….I think Shimi knew perfectly well who the father of Anakin was but was far too embarrassed to say.

A drunken night at the Star Wars Creature Cantina…”ships that pass in the night,” as they say…

Under pressure, her answer was “….eh…there was no father…”

We all know who the father most likely was…he who is the lynchpin of the entire Star Wars universe, the “Norm!” of the Star Wars Creature Cantina, and a real charmer:

8F3C3A01-0340-4913-B980-BDEBC1D47C35.jpeg

The striking resemblance of father-to-son is undeniable and uncanny…

0ED005BF-64B5-49C1-A32E-13CCADF3C81D.jpeg

23ACED3A-02E9-4B3D-994B-03F0E52C82AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back