Little things that I notice that goes invisibly by for a lot of people. I never presume who has noticed and who hasn't... Where Han told Ben and Luke to meet him to leave. Docking bay 94. We barely have that many piers here in Seattle, which is a major port. Granted, things have been retconned so that Tatooine is in Hutt space, so it's probably a major transfer point for smuggled goods, slaves, and other illicit transport. In the original context, though...?

"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

It was a minor planet in the Outer Rim Territories. It had been discovered and settled late, due to initial scans mistaking it for a third star in the system, its albedo was so high. It wasn't until closer surveys that it was discovered to be planet -- albeit a barely-hospitable one. There was a mining venture there early on, but it didn't pan out, the mining company withdrew and left their mobile-smelter crawlers behind, which the Jawas took over (I do not like the implications of the low-headroom control room in The Mandalorian -- unless it was originally crewed by Ugnaughts). And the people who couldn't afford to leave stayed behind as subsistence farmers. Jabba set up there because no one cared. The Republic had no presence there, the Empire had no presence there. It was under everyone's radar.

Per dialogue in the deleted scene of Luke's reunion with Biggs, the "academy" referred to was some sort of Outer Rim merchantmarine academy, not an Imperial academy. Biggs wasn't a starfighter pilot -- he was second mate on a freighter. And he wasn't "going to wait around to be drafted into Imperial service", since, as he said, the Empire was nationalizing trade in the core systems and it was only a matter of time until they turned their attention to the Outer Rim.

I look to boom-and-bust towns in the Old West as a model for Tatooine. It's a planet that had its heyday and was then almost entirely forgotten, but the remnants from that time are still all over, due to the preservative effect of the the desert environment. Fort Tusken, the B'omarr monestary, even the sprawling and largely deserted outskirts of Mos Eisley, most of the residents and activity more concentrated to the old town center.

I would have liked the Special Edition to give the town a bit more activity, and I like the presence of the Outrider... but I think George should have been a little more restrained -- maybe not quite so much activity, ya know?

I'm not all that interested in what George's "original" intentions were considering that he could never make up his mind, even from the very genesis of the saga.

I always got the impression that Tatooinne was supposed to be some sort of frontier planet, mimicking the feel of a Western, just set in space. The fact that it was sparse never drew me out of the story and I found the new establishing shots in the SE to be distracting.

I'm not all that interested in what George's "original" intentions were considering that he could never make up his mind, even from the very genesis of the saga.

I always got the impression that Tatooinne was supposed to be some sort of frontier planet, mimicking the feel of a Western, just set in space. The fact that it was sparse never drew me out of the story and I found the new establishing shots in the SE to be distracting.
But it's so dense!

He did make some odd choices as far as what was added, as well as changed. I always liked the "feel" of Mos Eisley being a backwoods sort of place without much open activity. Sort of like a grubby old west town where everyone is wary of each other, with most shipping being "shady" so it seems as though there isn't as much traffic as there really is. Feels more foreboding and dangerous for the characters to me.

Exactly. A bustling spaceport comes across as more legit to me. Smuggling and spice running would be an activity that you wouldn't want to draw a whole lot of attention to. While you can "hide in plain sight" among tons of other transports, a godforsaken, out of the way place with little to no oversight would be better suited to those ends. Those stormtroopers were dispatched there with a very specific task, they weren't already stationed there, running patrols or enforcing anything. It's a town without a sheriff, hence it being popular with the "scum and villainy" crowd.

Last edited:
Little things that I notice that goes invisibly by for a lot of people. I never presume who has noticed and who hasn't... Where Han told Ben and Luke to meet him to leave. Docking bay 94. We barely have that many piers here in Seattle, which is a major port. Granted, things have been retconned so that Tatooine is in Hutt space, so it's probably a major transfer point for smuggled goods, slaves, and other illicit transport. In the original context, though...?

You assume that because there is a docking bay 94 that there must also be a 1 - 93 and that they must be numbered sequentially?

That seems like a logical assumption, though it could be that most of the old bays from Tatooine's boom days of mining are no longer in service.

You assume that because there is a docking bay 94 that there must also be a 1 - 93 and that they must be numbered sequentially?
That tends to be how it works. In the years since the port was established, though, it is possible to probable that at least some of the others no longer exist or have been repurposed. The first forty or so piers here in Seattle are down on or adjacent to Harbor Island -- dedicated freight-transfer site. When that was done in the '60s, it saw all the extant piers renumbered. All the way up on the opposite end of the bay is Pier 91 -- the cruise ship terminal. In between, though, the central waterfront has been drastically repurposed from its original rôle. Pier 50-52 is still where the ferries to Bremerton and Bainbridge Island dock, and has been for a century. But the rest...?

Pier 46 is the sourthernmost outside the Port proper. It's leased by a Korean shipping company, but nothing's being done with it in decades, beyond briefly being the site of a homeless shelter.
Pier 47/48 (combined structurally) was where the steamship Princess Marguerite would leave for Victoria, B.C., and where the ferries to Alaska would dock. The former was retired in the late '90s and the latter moved North to Bellingham. After that, the site hosted a Cold War-era Soviet Foxtrot-class submarine, but that has since left, as the pier is no longer safe. Most recently, it was used as a staging area for the demolition of the waterfront viaduct.
Pier 49 was where the original port began, with Yesler's Wharf, and later Piers 1 and 2. All long gone. More recently, the site had a public boat dock and was the landing for the "water taxi" from West Seattle, across the bay. All gone now.
Piers 50-52 are, as I said, the Seattle ferry terminal.
Pier 53 is fire station no. 5 and has been, in one form or another, for the duration.
Pier 54 started out as a grain terminal and dock for a ferry service competing against the line operating out of 52. But those both went away and, for the last eighty years, it's mainly known for Ivar's seafood restaurant. Although it is also the latest home for Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, which has bounced around the waterfront since it opened in 1899.
Pier 55 has been used for a lot of purposes over the years, and is one of the few still serving some sort of maritime purpose, being the home of Argosy Harbor Cruises.
Pier 56 started out as a transportation hub for the Klondike Gold Rush and continued as such through the world wars. The Century 21 Exposition took it over in the early '60s and turned it into fish bars and curio shops, one of which -- Trident Imports -- took it over entirely for most of the rest of the century. It was awesome and I miss it. Now it's a couple of restaurants.
Piers 57-61 have had their fates connected for over half a century, so I'm lumping them together. 57 got reworked into something like what 56 was in the '60s, with tourist-trap shops, a big old carousel, and -- more recently -- is the site of Seattle's big ferris wheel. 58 was one of the original piers, being far enough north it survived the Great Seattle Fire of the 1880s, but it was demolished in the '50s and, as part of the renovation of 57 and 59 to either side in the '70s, was redone as a waterfront park. 59 was expanded into the space formerly occupied by the fairly stubby 60 and 61 and has housed the Seattle Aquarium since the 1970s renovations.
Piers 62 and 63 aren't really there any more. The public boat dock moved north to here from its old site at Pier 49 after they were torn down. Pier 63 had an overpass connecting the second floor of the fish-canning operation there directly to the end of Virginia Street on the other side of the road and railroad. It remained well after the pier was gone and always mildly freaked me out, being a street ramp that ended abruptly over the water.
Piers 64, 65, and 66 are now the Bell Street Pier and Bell Harbor complex, Private marina, cruise ship terminal, convention center, and restaurants on the over-water side, condos and the Seattle location of the World Trade Center on the landward side.
Pier 67 was built in the 1940s, but never saw much use, and by the early '60s had been turned into a hotel (first the Camelot -- briefly -- and then the Edgewater ever since) in time for the Century 21 Exhibition (Expo '62). Pier 68 was demolished at the same time that all happened.
Pier 69 is the Port of Seattle HQ, the Victoria Clipper dock, so is still largely serving its original function.
Pier 70 is the current northern end of the central waterfront. Anyone who saw MTV's The Real World: Seattle has seen it. Like many of the others I've listed, it hosted a variety of tenants over its life -- first steamships and freighters; later, as containerization came into existence, as the Klondike Gold Rush waned, as transportation companies merged or went out of business, it saw government and military use; and eventually got turned over to small business and tourism.

So no, I don't think the existence of a docking bay 94 means there are at least that many currently operating. A port going from heyday to stagnation will see many structures repurposed, torn down, neglected, squatted in, etc. I see it more as an indication of what was. I love the mental image of Mos Eisley as, depending on where you go in it, partially still alive and viable as a town, partially abandoned/falling into ruin, partially taken over by the criminal element... If there's one thing the Special Edition not only failed to do, but actively contradicted/diminished, it was visual content justifying Obi-Wan's appraisal of the city.

I gotta say I wasn't expecting a history lesson of the Seattle waterfront today but all of a sudden now I'm very intrigued by the place lol.

I kinda always figured the same. After many years, docking bays were named and subsequently renamed.

Another possibility is maybe docking bay designations have a navigational purpose much like how runways have a designation according to their direction on a 360° radial. So if you were to bring up Mos Eisley on a map or on a ship's radar/scanner for example, docking bay 94 is located at '94 degrees' or some similar navigational value.

What happened was some enterprising Mos Eisley businessman (totally legit) thought they could bring in more business if people thought they were a large port. So if you label the bays starting at 90, then surely there are 89 more somewhere else!

I liked some of his videos though that mask is hideous and there are other channels like his that got old pretty fast. I mean I agree with many of their points but building a whole YouTube channel around that type of content to me really limits the scope of potential.

That channel has Waaaay too much negativity for me...

At first I get it ok.. you don’t like this you don’t like that, everyone is allowed their opinion...

It’s been 3 years.. move on..

I have a theory that doomcock is just a masked fandom menace member.. and just uses that “masked” account to double dip in YouTube paychecks...

I'm currently stuck at a job site gate waiting for a crane so out of boredom I sat through that Doomcock vid.
Although "I" certainly would have made a trip to Disney if they had used Mos Eisley, there's a good argument to be made from a business stand point of using a new location. That video is just a guy in a mask whining that it's not what wanted in a park. It's just reading an article then wildly pontificating about what other people's motivations are.
Then he goes on his beg-o-thon asking people to donate money!? His whole schtick is lambasting people for being devoid of creativity, then asks people to financially support him at do the exact same thing!
w3hUyFC (1).gif

Saving Pop culture my ass!:rolleyes:

If anyone was truly intent on saving it they could vote with their wallet and just stop buying anything from Lucasfilm. Let the company lose money and then maybe they will start listening to fans and deliver the content they want.

Or easier, just move on with your life. Create your own story and make a fortune off that.

Hey I've been doing that since TLJ came out. I can't see how it would make good business sense to write off all the OT fans and think the newer fans will carry the property.

Or even more importantly, newer fans who happen to love the OT and/or the prequel trilogy instead of the new stuff. Under the comments section for this video, and videos on the same topic on other channels, there's a lot of people who are posting who state what age they are and how they prefer the OT over the sequel trilogy (and a bulk of them are under 30 years old). Sounds more like Kennedy is trying to adhere to the "let the past die, kill it if you have to" mentality, even when the newer generations of fans appear to like the OT more than the new stuff.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back