For the standalones, books, shows, video games, and all other ancillary material, sure, it needs subtitles. For the original saga which is ultimately what matters, it doesn't need any distinctions.

It would be like saying "The Godfather: The Corleone Saga".
But's never been just 'Star Wars.' First, it was the 'Star Wars Trilogy.'
latest?cb=20190503011146.jpg

latest?cb=20110316124030.jpg

vhs-trilogy-box-us-1995-front.jpg

Which became 'Star Wars The Complete saga'
latest?cb=20110707065133.jpg

d4be929f3f907b5e12b9078082edc3d3.jpg

And now it's 'Star Wars The Skywalker Saga.'

e-skywalker-saga-4k-blu-ray-collection-details-lrg.jpg

"Trilogy" and "Saga" are fine. Those terms just describe the format. When you add in "Skywalker", it suggests a distinction is required because there's other stories in the Star Wars universe that are of equal or greater importance. There is no other story of equal or greater importance than the story of the Skywalkers. So you don't need to distinguish it is all I'm saying :)

Instead of "Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga". Just call it the "The Star Wars Saga". Even before the prequels, it was referred to that way.

If I had a mortal enemy, and my only grandchild killed me and took their name, effectively ending the posterity of mine, I'd call that a victory for the other guy and his legacy.

If I had a mortal enemy, and my only grandchild killed me and took their name, effectively ending the posterity of mine, I'd call that a victory for the other guy and his legacy.

That's the whole point in "The Rise of Skywalker" sub title. It refers to that...even though we all wanted Anakin instead to be "the Rise of Skywalker". But think about it not the first 6 were about Anakin, only 1-3 were. 4-6 were about Luke and 7-9 about Rey. The story just simply continued and ended with her victory and claiming the name.

and I do feel calling all nine films "The Skywalker saga" just severely cheapens the legacy of the Star Wars franchise in my opinion. It sounds so cheap...not sure how to explain it though.

It's not like the releases of Halloween say Halloween: The Michael Myers saga.
or
Titanic: The untold Jack and Rose love Story.

We know what the films are about!

That's the whole point in "The Rise of Skywalker" sub title. It refers to that...even though we all wanted Anakin instead to be "the Rise of Skywalker". But think about it not the first 6 were about Anakin, only 1-3 were. 4-6 were about Luke and 7-9 about Rey. The story just ends with her victory and claiming the name.

and I do feel calling all nine films "The Skywalker saga" just severely cheapens the legacy of the Star Wars franchise in my opinion. It sounds so cheap...not sure how to explain it though.

It's not like the releases of Halloween say Halloween: The Michael Myers saga.
or
Titanic: The untold Jack and Rose love Story.

We know what the films are about!
Well know what they are about. But 99% of the film going audience doesn't. My friends still don't understand where Rogue One and Solo fit in. And with potentially another series of Star Wars films coming along, there has to some sort distinction between these Star Wars films, and the other Star Wars films.

Well know what they are about. But 99% of the film going audience doesn't. My friends still don't understand where Rogue One and Solo fit in. And with potentially another series of Star Wars films coming along, there has to some sort distinction between these Star Wars films, and the other Star Wars films.

Which really concerns me about the intelligence of the human race. It's not hard to figure out R1's place if you saw ANH. They didn't make it difficult. Anh has stolen Death Star plans. R1 steals them.

Pretending those 9 films are all one story is laughable but hey... gotta sell stuff! ;)

But it is. Granted it's been made one story somewhat retroactively, but it's still one story.

The Skywalker Saga, is the story of man who was miraculously born without a father. His children, his grandchild, and their arch nemsis, a Dark Side entity known as Palpatine. It's tragic tale, which end with the death of the whole family. But their legacy lives on.

But it is. Granted it's been made one story somewhat retroactively, but it's still one story.

The Skywalker Saga, is the story of man who was miraculously born without a father. His children, his grandchild, and their arch nemsis, a Dark Side entity known as Palpatine. It's tragic tale, which end with the death of the whole family. But their legacy lives on.
:lol: :lol::lol:... whatever tickles your monkey bro!

:lol: :lol::lol:... whatever tickles your monkey bro!

But why isn't it one story? All 3 trilogies deal with the same things, fear, loss, hate, unconditional love. All three have someone from the Skywalker bloodline as a central character(s). All 3 trilogies constitute one story. Just because you don't like one or two of said trilogies, or think them to be unnecessary doesn't change that fact, that they are apart of the larger saga.

But why isn't it one story? All 3 trilogies deal with the same things, fear, loss, hate, unconditional love. All three have someone from the Skywalker bloodline as a central character(s). All 3 trilogies constitute one story. Just because you don't like one or two of said trilogies, or think them to be unnecessary doesn't change that fact, that they are apart of the larger saga.
we need more people like you, dude!

It has nothing to do with whether I like them or not, they are 3 separate stories, conceived totally separate from each other. The only commonality is a marketing campaign seeking to convince people that the stories conceived after the original were always part of the whole. GL relied on the success of the OT to sell his PT and DSW is doing the same with their ST, it's not a surprise but I've gotten to a point in my life where marketing ploys are pretty obvious.

If this is how you enjoy consuming Star Wars and DSW then have at it but save a few bucks and give it a couple years, the "saga" will certainly have more editions in the future. ;)

It has nothing to do with whether I like them or not, they are 3 separate stories, conceived totally separate from each other. The only commonality is a marketing campaign seeking to convince people that the stories conceived after the original were always part of the whole. GL relied on the success of the OT to sell his PT and DSW is doing the same with their ST, it's not a surprise but I've gotten to a point in my life where marketing ploys are pretty obvious.

If this is how you enjoy consuming Star Wars and DSW then have at it but save a few bucks and give it a couple years, the "saga" will certainly have more editions in the future. ;)
By that logic then The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are not apart the story. As the only commonality they have is the marketing seeking to convince people that the stories conceived after the original were always a part of the whole........

By that logic then The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are not apart the story. As the only commonality they have is the marketing seeking to convince people that the stories conceived after the original were always a part of the whole........
Of course with your vast knowledge of how the OT was made, you know better than that. I'll assume that means you understand my position but lack a reasonable response so choose to post nonsense.
I have no problem with you perceiving SW or DSW any way you choose.
Consume away bro, Mickey needs a new set of gloves! ;) (y)

Of course with your vast knowledge of how the OT was made, you know better than that. I'll assume that means you understand my position but lack a reasonable response so choose to post nonsense.
I have no problem with you perceiving SW or DSW any way you choose.
Consume away bro, Mickey needs a new set of gloves! ;) (y)

You mean how Vader is revealed to be Luke's father retroactively changing what Obi-Wan told Luke. Or Leia being revealed to be Luke's sister, retroactively changing their relationship.

How is that any different then retroactive alterations done in PT with such additions as the Chosen One prophecy or Leia's mother dying in child birth? And the ST doesn't do anything retroactive, so yeah.

You mean how Vader is revealed to be Luke's father retroactively changing what Obi-Wan told Luke. Or Leia being revealed to be Luke's sister, retroactively changing their relationship.

How is that any different then retroactive alterations done in PT with such additions as the Chosen One prophecy or Leia's mother dying in child birth? And the ST doesn't do anything retroactive, so yeah.
:lol: I think you have that strawman in a choke hold bro!

:lol: I think you have that strawman in a choke hold bro!
Not in this case. That's some of the more valid revisionism criticism for Star Wars. Vader and Anakin were originally separate people. Combining them created issues that wouldn't have existed if it had actually been planned out that way before the cameras ever rolled in 1976. Ditto Luke and Leia -- who were different ages -- suddenly having to be twins, since there now wasn't time for Luke's sister to be introduced and developed.

The Prequels just continued that, with what now had to happen -- and in such a limited run-time -- to get us to the state of affairs we saw at the beginning of the film now known as "A New Hope" (more revisionism required by changing plans on the fly).

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back