1. I never previous gave it thought though I guess I may have assumed they were propelled rather than dropped, where as in the latest tosh you see them physically dropped. I guess in empire I can interpret it rather than be shown/told it.
2. In empire their escape is shown as skillful flying etc and being inept is dealt with by death. In the latest tosh it's treated in joke format. Can I put you on hold a moment... If that isn't rubbish then how poor does it have to get!

The proton bombs in StarFortress are magnetically propelled. Though in reality the artificial gravity would be enough to get them going, so they would have sufficient momentum by the time they cleared the ship.

So here's the problem is have with the idea that it's just pure skill.
142.jpg

That's three Imperial II-class Star Destroyers. Each one has 10 tractor beams. That's 30 tractor beams that could possibly nab the Falcon. And sometimes Han is just flying in a straight line. And neither of the ships captains think to try that?

This is internal to ILM c.1982 for relative speed in the motion-control work. It predates all the more refined, printed versions that came along in the late '80s and into the '90s:

View attachment 1059829

I could have sworn that I saw something that said the Falcon was as faster as the TIE or TIE Interceptor by the time of ROTJ. I can't recall if it was official or not though.

The proton bombs in StarFortress are magnetically propelled. Though in reality the artificial gravity would be enough to get them going, so they would have sufficient momentum by the time they cleared the ship.

View attachment 1059996
That's three Imperial II-class Star Destroyers. Each one has 10 tractor beams. That's 30 tractor beams that could possibly nab the Falcon. And sometimes Han is just flying in a straight line. And neither of the ships captains think to try that?

I'm not sure if capital ship tractor beams are made for something that small though. It could be that a ship the size of the Falcon or smaller is hard for tractor beams to catch when it's moving at speed.

View attachment 1059996
The OT uses the science of tractor beams very loosely and it seems heavily implied to the audience that Han is maneuvering the falcon in such a way as to avoid them or is at least better than their operators. Since the range and ability or even number of the tractor beams on SD's is never actually stated in the films, then this becomes a non issue within the films. It's only once you start adding stuff beyond the films that you create these potential issues.. In fact the only mention of a tractor beam in ESB if I recall is only once Han is gone and Lando is flying the falcon along side the Executor in a seemingly much less skilled way than Han would have been able to. I think its Piett who states "they'll be in range of our tractor beam in moments Lord" which tells the audience there are apparently significant limitations to the tech's range and capabilities. Heck, Han only ever even got caught in the Death Star's because he got blindsided since they had no idea until it was too late that the DS was a space station. And we only ever saw the Devastator use it's tractor beam on the Tantiv IV once it was knocked out of action

Last edited:
The number of tractors beams isn't even stated in the film so I'm guessing that information comes from ancillary material. Having Han fly in such a way that it would make it hard for the beam to lock on to him seems plausible to me. I don't see the issue. Hitting a moving target is tough no matter how good a marksman you are.

Compare this with the unexciting space chase from that other movie and I would watch Empire hands down everytime. At least it's more exciting and the stakes feel real to me.

I can't wrap my head around your issues with The Empire Strikes Back. Just because Rian used similar images (some loose concepts too) doesn't mean that they are straight equivalents to one another. If anything when you compare them, one clearly used them better and it was obviously Irvin Kershner.

To each their own, but I can't fathom your reasoning on this.

The OT uses the science of tractor beams very loosely and it seems heavily implied to the audience that Han is maneuvering the falcon in such a way as to avoid them or is at least better than their operators. Since the range and ability or even number of the tractor beams on SD's is never actually stated in the films, then this becomes a non issue within the films. It's only once you start adding stuff beyond the films that you create these potential issues.. In fact the only mention of a tractor beam in ESB if I recall is only once Han is gone and Lando is flying the falcon along side the Executor in a seemingly much less skilled way than Han would have been able to. I think its Piett who states "they'll be in range of our tractor beam in moments Lord" which tells the audience there are apparently significant limitations to the tech's range and capabilities. Heck, Han only ever even got caught in the Death Star's because he got blindsided since they had no idea until it was too late that the DS was a space station. And we only ever saw the Devastator use it's tractor beam on the Tantiv IV once it was knocked out of action

True. But twice Han just flies along in a straight line right off the bow of an ISD. Seriously how ineffective is the Empire's tech? To paraphrase Hux, What's the point of all this if the Empire can't tractor beam a little YT 1300 flying in a straight line?
Star-Destroyer.jpg

As for Star Wars YouTube Channels I don't care for most of them.

Zeroh is a joke. Plain and simple. He is to YouTube, what jrzjoe is to the whip collecting world.

Star Wars Theory and his overrated fan film (and subsequent "controversy" surrounding it) was ludicrous.

While I do follow one channel (that often addresses Star Wars) it does cover other pop culture things too, but even that gets to be too much at times.

I would assume that they don't want to use the tractor beams to suck up asteroids. One thing I always assumed too was that because Han had modified his ship, perhaps he had illegal tech installed that would allow him to evade things like Imperial Tractor beams easier than other ships. Not that he could always get away, but between his piloting skills and that tech he stood a better chance.

As for Star Wars YouTube Channels I don't care for most of them.

Zeroh is a joke. Plain and simple. He is to YouTube, what jrzjoe is to the whip collecting world.

Star Wars Theory and his overrated fan film (and subsequent "controversy" surrounding it) was ludicrous.

While I do follow one channel (that often addresses Star Wars) it does cover other pop culture things too, but even that gets to be too much at times.
You know what they say, too much of a good thing.

The number of tractors beams isn't even stated in the film so I'm guessing that information comes from ancillary material. Having Han fly in such a way that it would make it hard for the beam to lock on to him seems plausible to me. I don't see the issue. Hitting a moving target is tough no matter how good a marksman you are.

Compare this with the unexciting space chase from that other movie and I would watch Empire hands down everytime. At least it's more exciting and the stakes feel real to me.

I can't wrap my head around your issues with The Empire Strikes Back. Just because Rian used similar images (some loose concepts too) doesn't mean that they are straight equivalents to one another. If anything when you compare them, one clearly used them better and it was obviously Irvin Kershner.

To each their own, but I can't fathom your reasoning on this.

I loved that space chase. Something felt so old timey sailing ship about it.

I think ESB is the best Star Wars film, period. But for me it has two of the most glaring plot hiccups(not even going to call it plot hole). This, and the "that armor is to strong for blasters." Moments later one gets shot in it's armor and blows up. Huh.... but I still love ESB.

I would assume that they don't want to use the tractor beams to suck up asteroids. One thing I always assumed too was that because Han had modified his ship, perhaps he had illegal tech installed that would allow him to evade things like Imperial Tractor beams easier than other ships. Not that he could always get away, but between his piloting skills and that tech he stood a better chance.

Illegal tech is probably the best explanation. Because if the tractor beam is wide enough that its going to snag asteroids as well, then no amount of crazy flying will evade it. Plus they've just left the asteroid field.

Exactly frogfreak. Which is why I have not added my takes of the films to my personal YouTube channel. There are enough out there. One or two basic comments but I never linger on them because that's not the purpose of my channel.

Joek3rr That's cool. I just didn't care for it, even though the concept of a classic space chase in the vein of two sailing ships at war was the idea it was trying to mimic is in and of itself, not a bad one. I think that would have worked better if perhaps they had been in an extensive battle that left both sides severely damaged. Then the pace could have been slowed because of that. Also it could have been more effective to have it against two major ships rather than a slow chase between two fleets of ships.

But that's just me. :D

I'm digging the Vintage style packaging.

Exactly frogfreak. Which is why I have not added my takes of the films to my personal YouTube channel. There are enough out there. One or two basic comments but I never linger on them because that's not the purpose of my channel.

Joek3rr That's cool. I just didn't care for it, even though the concept of a classic space chase in the vein of two sailing ships at war was the idea it was trying to mimic is in and of itself, not a bad one. I think that would have worked better if perhaps they had been in an extensive battle that left both sides severely damaged. Then the pace could have been slowed because of that. Also it could have been more effective to have it against two major ships rather than a slow chase between two fleets of ships.

But that's just me. :D

I'm digging the Vintage style packaging. I kind of like the orange on the ship too!

The color is throw back to that Ralph concept art of Joe Johnston's x-wing, but it has a distinctly new paint scheme. I like it.

I do have a YouTube channel but it's not related to any of this really. PM me if you like and I can tell you more if you're interested. I don't want to derail the discussion. ;)

Shall we take a trip down memory lane?

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III was my very first Star Wars game. It was my primary form of Star Wars, since I wasn't allowed to watch the films as much as I would have liked. I used to play the heck out this thing, then when my game time was up. I pulled out my LEGO and continued the adventure. Underneath my bed was my Rebel base/Home One hanger. Oh so much fun! Plus the game the co-op version of Rogue Squadron II. I'll never forget the elation of finally blowing up the Death Star, after like the 20th attempt. And the music, oh that awesome synth music. That music accompanied my Star Wars adventures more then John William's scores.

You remember this one? They didn't promote it heavily when it released at the time so it flew under the radar for a lot of us including me. Technically not part of the Rogue Squadron series but it's practically the same game. Same developers- Factor 5:

Last edited:
You remember this one? They didn't promote it heavily when it released at the time so it flew under the radar for a lot of us including me. Technically not part of the Rogue Squadron series but it's practically the same game. Same developers- Factor 5:

I've never seen that game before. That's cool!

Ever play Star Wars Starfighter?

Shall we take a trip down memory lane?

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III was my very first Star Wars game. It was my primary form of Star Wars, since I wasn't allowed to watch the films as much as I would have liked. I used to play the heck out this thing, then when my game time was up. I pulled out my LEGO and continued the adventure. Underneath my bed was my Rebel base/Home One hanger. Oh so much fun! Plus the game the co-op version of Rogue Squadron II. I'll never forget the elation of finally blowing up the Death Star, after like the 20th attempt. And the music, oh that awesome synth music. That music accompanied my Star Wars adventures more then John William's scores.
Oh man Id still be playing Rouge Squadron for the N64 if the stupid thing would run on my emulator :lol:
May look like hell but that was back when games were still complete games when you bought them, and much like with films back then still had as much art and creativity about them as they were about being geared towards generating money (not to say there certainly werent soulless cash grabs back then)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back