Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's**New Maps at start of thread**

Re: Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's

Hi, me again,
can anyone help me with a picture and the measures of this part, it would help me a lot:):

http://imageshack.us

Yes. It's not M8 or M577, I think it's the ausf. G, can't be sure as mine's still in the post. But you can see just the very edge of the radius of the second hatch opening.

Oh one more bit on this, the part clearly extends to the right all the way under the Entex 1/5 rotary part. (The small rotary part, not the large engine casing.) And the tops of the hatches are visible too, in other pics.

I think it is the complete Panther part, face-down but not trimmed down at all. You have a good eye!

Last edited:

This is such an active thread but I have only seen pics of one 5ft Falcon in progress so far.

Exactly how many are actually working on a 5 ft Falcon now and why don't you have cameras. :)

This is such an active thread but I have only seen pics of one 5ft Falcon in progress so far. :love:love

Exactly how many are actually working on a 5 ft Falcon now and why don't you have cameras. :angry

I'm testing the waters with a client, to see if it's actually viable, and it looks like it is, especially with the fine work you guys are doing here. So I think I'm building two, starting mid next year.

Gulp!

To my knowledge no one has identified what angular piece has been added to the kettengrad part. I have to say its a really fiddly bit of scratchbuilding and shows a tremendous attention to detail from the ILM guys to go to such pains. The only potential 'tell' on the mystery section are two small raised rivets close together. Would be great to nail this one.

I can't believe the momentum that's built up since I started this thread. There will be 5' Falcons sprouting up all over soon!. ..Just as I've moved into a new place that doesn't have room for me to build my own! :cry

I have a really nice pattern of the part, that was made after the MR one was made, which I had cast and retrofitted to my old-pattern Neisen builds. His new kit has basically the same assembly - was just puttying them tonight, which is why it is in my forebrain.

If you guys want/need the part I had made a few years ago, we could get 'em cast for these builds? You need a BUNCH.

Yeah, I remember talking to you about that part... it's the little mysteries that loom large in our brains, isn't it?! :behave

Exactly how many are actually working on a 5 ft Falcon now and why don't you have cameras. :angry

Nothing to show yet? It's a big project to take on and requires a LOT of prep work and parts collecting, unless you're a fan of redos. I only made the decision about five weeks ago, along with Muzza and Jedimaster. We were BSing at my place one day after working on a group project we already have going, and I said "eff it, I'm going to do it".

So that's three locally, Gort maybe/someday, Rodmart presumably gearing up too, Jason now with two builds (great news!) and who did I miss out?

Of course, Whiskey and Faustus have also participated in this and other Falcon threads and do have spectacular builds well under way, which can be seen on various pages.

And if you check the actual *title* of the thread... :behave

I'm testing the waters with a client, to see if it's actually viable, and it looks like it is, especially with the fine work you guys are doing here. So I think I'm building two, starting mid next year.

Gulp!

Gulp indeed! But yes, it is viable. It's often claimed to be a five figure build and I suspect that is true. I'm into four figures so far but that's already a big stack of plastic.

I am even starting to suspect an epoxy glass hull might be viable, in four sections (top and bottom shells, split longitudinally with separate jaws, engine deck and rear landing gear housings). Somebody get me my medication.

Just as I've moved into a new place that doesn't have room for me to build my own! :cry

Oh noes! Literally no room to build, or just no room to store? Mate you must do *something*!

BTW there's a bunch more M23 on the engine deck that isn't mapped yet. Get on it, son. :p

Yeah, I remember talking to you about that part... it's the little mysteries that loom large in our brains, isn't it?!

Honestly I barely give a toss, it's such a tiny bit; we did well to just ID those Kettenkrad* towhooks, modded as they are. It'd be a nice itch to scratch after all this time, but that's all it is, it isn't *necessary*.

* krad, short for kraftrad or 'motor wheel' e.g. motorcycle. Not grad. Just sayin'. :p

Can I make a suggestion. Seeing as there's a whole bunch of nutters building this bird. Some ESB.... Cough cough... And some cool cats going ANH. There's at least four full time nutz, one with no room and a complete nutter who wants to build two. I'm sure there are more watching who would love to build as well but perhaps don't have donors to contribute.
Some of us , and I think it was Stu's idea, have been concentrating on certain areas of the ship. Stu and Martyn on the arse end and Rod and Myself the mandibles and sidewalls. This is the the only way to be sure of the exact dims. Do ya think maybee as we complete each section we could send each plate to Mike if he's up for it and cast it up for the masses? Then a set of plant on's to go with it? I know some want to use all styrene on this puppy but ILM used plenty of cast parts on this thing and I for o e am going to follow suit.

Just tossin round ideas at the mo but it would sure move things along if we pooled our kit parts to make this happen sooner rather than later.

we did well to just ID those Kettenkrad* towhooks, modded as they are.

1/20 Nutrocker, baby!

Jedimaster - that is a freaking GOOD idea. I don't need original kit parts if the castings are excellent.

Simon, heck I'd go further, I think complete cast jaws and turrets are doable too. And docking ports. All would need plant-ons some of 'em fiddly but worse has been tackled with success.

I still think a full kit would require time and money nobody has, but I don't see why Stu's starter sets couldn't be expanded up into outright semi kits (his vents are really nice btw). We'd need to agree dims and contours pretty closely tho, we are still struggling on the turret for example (which no doubt is mainly because I am off, I'm still waiting on semovente, valentine, etc). I want to dim out the mandibles myself btw, I'm not only focusing on one area, I think you have to crosscheck everything.

Jason - yeah, the good old days! I still have a bunch of the old fibreglass hulls and turrets up in my rafters. Oh god - does anyone know how to get hold of Arne Jerde? Is he on the MaK forum? I owe him a 1/20 Nut, the one I sent him was smashed in transit and then I moved, had two computer crashes, lost his address, got his new one, boxed up the kit, had ANOTHER computer crash and it has sat in its box ever since, along with a second one as an apology. God, the guilt! :(

Arne Jerde. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...

I think so? I will check for youse!

Anyway, back to FALCON talk!

Martyn, your'e right mate, there's a ton more M23 parts on the engine deck that's not mapped as yet, but that's just because we've been staring at this area for ages & parts just magically materialize before our eyes.
That's not counting the 'missing' parts also from vintage pics.

I had my deck all layed out last week with about a third more parts than the last pics, but had to pack it up this weekend to make some room.
Got some more kits coming, so I'll lay it out again asap.

I thought about a GF hull too, at least the molds can be re-used but the edges would prove a problem trying to get the thickness even, but having said that, edges can be sanded to correct thickness, that's only a smallish area showing. ILM' s Falcon was far from perfect anyhoo.:)

Guns......anybody see two branch F1 manifolds for the tips, or is it me? Which is odd, as most manifold branches are three into one IIRC?

lee

OK found 'em, took a while to get the exhaust config in my mind, but, Quad gun tips appear to the Tamiya 1/12 Lotus 49 guys.
Falconquad.jpg

Lotus204920No2013.jpg

lee

Last edited:

Good eye Lee, always wondered what F1 kit they came from. Ah well, another kit to get & one for the group list, sigh.
Not sure about the heatsink, I think it's too big.

Anyone know what the box structure could consist of, donor parts wise?.
Stu

Stu im looking into the guns, but its tricky. You guys will have to forgive me, but im not great with ANH kit timelines, but the wheel on the side of the quads looks to be Tamiya Kampfwagen IV?

Also, anybody got any better pics of C sprue from the Panzer III, think its C9 (cant make it out in the scans) got a little hunch, need a better look?

lee

Heh, cheers Simon, still looking, glad about the wheels, knew they were German armor, but as i said, my timing is WAY off for ANH kits lol.

Trying to pin down the quad body, looks to be 4 tapers as the base, possibly aircraft, into the (possible) heatsink.....then what looks to me like a small armor turret capping off the back....see its easy lol :behave

Just want to to, now ive really started looking throught hsi thread, you guys are bonafide Heroes, thats a LOT of info, in a very short amount of time.

lee

Oh BTW, anybody got a 1/16 Tamiya Sherman? Thinking about the gear/cog part at the very back of the barrel's (behind the heatsink part)
Kinda leaning toward it being a drive gear from the tranny, seems fitting as its an ANH donor, and it does seem to look like a nylon drive gear.

lee

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back