Millennium Falcon Hasbro Conversion Base Diorama - Questions For The Community

SeanG22

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys!

So i'm currently working on the Millennium Falcon Hasbro Conversion - and while I'm waiting for parts from shape ways to get here, I thought it'd be a good time to start working on some kind of base for the falcon. I've seen a few really cool ones online that were made for the MR Millennium Falcon, which ironically also happens to be relatively the same size as the Hasbro Conversion. I'll go ahead and add them to the attachments.

mr-hoth-base-3.jpg
Hoth Base Diorama

mr-hoth-base-1.jpg
Hoth Base Diorama (2)

mr-hoth-base-6.jpg
Hoth Base Diorama (3)

asteroid-base-1.jpg
Asteroid Base Diorama

death-star-3.jpg
Death Star Surface Base Diorama

My main questions to you guys are;
1. Which one would be the easiest to make?
and 2. What would be your thoughts on how to go about making it?

Any ideas, experience, types of paint, links, and anything else - would immensely be appreciated! :]

P.S. I'm brand new to the world of modeling, so if this sounds like a noob question - or if I'm posting this in the wrong section, please understand :]

mr-hoth-base-3.jpg

asteroid-base-1.jpg

death-star-3.jpg

mr-hoth-base-1.jpg

mr-hoth-base-6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The hardest would be the Death Star, but between the others, probably about equal. Asteroid would probably be the easiest.
2. Best to do some research on basic 'groundwork' techniques (railroading modelers are an excellent resource for such things, are armor modelers.) There is (was?) an excellent softback book by Sheperd "Shep" Paine on building dioramas [How to Build Dioramas] that should be on every modelers' bookshelf. Much of diorama work is learned by doing but it isn't an arcane art (like airbrushing is... ha!) plus it is fun.

One more recommendation. Check out a local model show and speak with the folks entering models (be brave & talk to strangers...) Picking brains face to face can be quite rewarding. IPMS/USA has listing of show & contest events on the website [www.ipmsusa.org] as does FineScale Modeler [http://www.finescale.com/events] - to just name two.

Regards, Robert

Asteroid would be easiest, then the Hoth scene, followed by the Death Star.
There is a LOT of work in the Death Star base. All the little boxes and greeblies/nurnies have to be either built or cast.
I would start with something like the asteroid.
Easiest way is to decide what size you want, then got to Walmart/Dollar Store or equivalent and find a picture frame that meets your size requirements. Get one with a bit of depth if you have a choice. Then go to the hardware store and get some insulation foam, extruded polystyrene (not expanded), something like this http://www.daviddarling.info/images/foam_board_insulation.jpg or this http://building.dow.com/about/story.htm.
You can cut, sand, cover with plaster and glue this stuff. Just don't use bondo on it!! Cut a piece to fit in the picture frame and then make the basic shapes of your base, hills, valleys, ridges, etc with this. Use offcuts and slices to build up the topography and cut and sand/file holes or valleys in the foam. After the basic shapes are done, then cover with several layers of plaster bandage (for plaster casts, from hobby shops or medical supply shops) and polyfilla/spackle. If you have a fairly flat bit, then you don't really need plaster cloth on it.
Cover this base layer with a full covering of polyfilla/spackle and make your finer details with this, things like small hills, ridges and valleys and rocky outcrops. After the plaster is dry, you can paint it with anything, but a water based paint will soak in and give you a better finish in case something gets chipped, or if you are drilling holes in it later to put in posts or trees, etc (probably not too much on an asteroid though!!). You can also mix some ground colour paint with your top plaster/spackle coat, especially if you get a powdered version that you add water to.
Search You Tube for groundwork videos, especially from the railroad modeller community, you will learn a lot from seeing it done.
Have fun, and show us some pictures....
cheers!

WOW Rats!!! :] I can't thank you enough for the extremely detailed and awesome input!!
You're the man! :]

So just to clarify,
1. Pick a desired frame - preferably one with depth.
2. Get some insulation foam and some extruded polystyrene.
3. Cut and make basic terrain/valley/volcanic shapes.
4. Cover everything with four to five layers of Plaster Gauze Bandages.
5. Then cover everything with plaster - along with using the plaster to make finer details.
and 6. Once plaster is dry - apply desired water based paints.

Does that sound right?
Do you think it'd be possible to use the plaster to make rock/debris/rubble?

After some thought - I think I'm gonna try to mimic the Star Wars Planet 'Sullust'.
Which looks something like this;
featuredImage.img.jpg

quick-look-star-wars-battlefront-beta-494201-2.jpg

sullust_11.jpg

Also, after viewing the photos, any ideas on what paints or paint kits to use?
Any amazon links would be immensely helpful :]

Thanks!

Your list; pretty well yes to all.
plaster or powder type polyfilla/spackle will definitely make rock rubble. I'd probably colour it first, then pour/spread it as a thinnish sheet and smash it up when solid to create rocks/rubble.
Not sure how you would get the glowing lava look with paint. You would get close with shades of dark red to red to orange for the molten stuff and dark greys to black for the solid stuff.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back