John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

As replicators, I think the board kind of misses the "thrill of the hunt", trying to figure out what a prop once was, in it's former life. With all the computer designs and CGI props, us DIY guys have no chance, unless we can get access to 3D printers and multi-axis lathes.

So, having said that, in this day and age of CAD programs and fancy 3D printing, do you ever wish you could go back to the old days of prop building, ala Star Wars? Digging through piles of "junk" and sticking them together with bolts and duct tape? Seeing if you can realize your dream, with stuff you found in the back corner of a pawn shop, goodwill or local junkyard?

-Fred

John,
You've worked on all my favorite movies it seems and you have my dream job. I'm a sculptor and mold maker for Sally Corporation, we do animatronics for theme parks. I get to do a little of everything artistically, most people say I have a dream job. We don't do movies however so I do that on the side for myself. I've made my own fan-made movie props from Star Wars stuff to Iron Man and even Avatar. Currently I'm working on my own fan-made Neytiri statue. The RPF and sites like this give me a great forum to show my work and get great critiques.
My question is how does someone like me who has talent, experience, and impressive resume', connect with a studio like Weta, and what can I do to set myself apart from a sea of artist?

What got you started in the whole industry of special effects and prop making? What kind of tips do you have for those of us who are just getting started? What would you say is your favorite movie you have worked on? What are your favorite type of props to make for a movie?

Hello Mr Harvey. I can only think of three questions.

Have you ever worked on any real items? as in, not props.

Have any of your props ever got broke during filming?

And, is it possible you could sign any of the replicas that are sold online?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would like to know how you determine the style of weapon to create for a type of character? What is your inspiration when creating an "alien" weapon and keeping it from being similar to others you have created?

Alrighty, here's an oddball one for you, Are there any completed props that you've done that, after looking back, you've said "Oh my, What was i thinking?!"

When you go about your life outside of the workshop, how often do you find yourself noting that objects that you see would make a really good ______? And, if you are with friends, loved ones or colleagues, do they laugh at you for doing so?

I have a question regarding breaking into the industry as a professional prop builder. Whenever I see a prop shop in action, I always see that each person has a specific job (a model maker, a mold maker, a painter, etc.), but every time I ask an industry professional what it takes to get noticed, they always tell me that you have to have mastery over a broad skill set. Is it not possible to get into the industry by being a bang-out mold maker (for example) if you're not as good at other aspects of the job? I imagine it varies greatly from shop to shop, but it seems like it's a common thing to require mastery over the entire process from potential applicants.

Working on props is a behind the scenes job. Have you ever wanted to work in front of the camera? Further, with all of us prop geeks around have you ever been recognized on the street as "famous" or had the "can I have your autograph" moment?

Thank you immensely for coming on here to answer our questions! :)

Everyone has a person who they look up to professionally. Whose work do you just say, "Damn, that guy is good."

Seeing as you design and make things that are quite notable on screen, how does this affect your own perseption of the films you work on? I mean take actors for instance - I hear that a lot of actors can't stand watching themselves on film and things like that so I'm curious if you being a part of making say... a futuristic gun, sort of takes the edge off watching the film in some way because it's hard to believe that the models or guns etc. are actually real?

You know, sort of like being a part of the behind the scenes process of creating the items has a negative effect in that it makes it all the more difficult for you personally to "believe" in the final result when you watch the finnished film.

Do you find that the industry is moving more towards people with high levels of specialization in one area, or does it favor some one who is well rounded and can pull concepts from many different types of craft?

What Inspired you to get into prop making? Do you ever say to yourself that you can make your props better and accurate on the next project you work on?

Re: John Harvey - Weta Senior Model Maker - Q&A with the RPF

When working with a production requiring large amounts of replicated specialty props requiring a certain amount of quality and realism, do you feel that employing artisans of that actual craft, such as sword makers, forgers and metal workers to build the real thing is practical in the US?

Also, do you feel that the use of true art in film has declined over the years or just become so mainstreamed into the process that it is no longer seen as art? Compare the paintings made for such films as "The Portrait of Dorian Grey" with today's modern version and the difference in quality, size etc is very noticeable. Why is sculpting used so extensively but many times when a prop of a painting is called for the prop is an obvious photoshop or printed copy?

Is the art of prop making a 3 dimensional art or an art or replicating whatever is needed in the best possible way....within budget? Is this simply a matter of what prop artisans are best at?

Have you ever made a prop that people were convinced had to be CGI and then surprised them by proving it does exist?

Thanks for taking our questions. :)

My question would be: 'Hi John, when you first consider building a prop, do you get inspiration from props that you or others have created, or do you find inspiration in everyday objects and see the basis for something new?'

Terry.

When walking, driving and generally going about your non-prop building day, do you ever look at something and think 'Holy cow, that would make a great............' or 'I could see this character using this'?

Are you often disappointed with the 'made for retail' copies of your work released, and do you ever design with an eye on how the item coud be adapted for the mass market?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back