John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

Mr. Harvey,

Before I begin, I would like to thank you for taking time for answering our questions.

The first question I have is this: I am recently during my final week of film school, on the verge of graduating, and I am working on my Art Direction portfolio. And since props fall into art direction and production design, what items or details do professionals such as yourself look for in the work of someone who has stepped out of film school and starting out in the field of filmmaking? And is there any advice for someone starting out, like myself, you can share?

My second question (more of a topic) is this: though most props requires designs and sketches, have you ever created a prop from scratch without the use of a design or sketch? Has that prop ever come out the way you pictured it? And has it ever turned up in a production (and if so, what production)?

Hello John!

Have you ever made a prop that through design or appearance contained a personal/team 'in joke', but never told any outsiders or film studios who used it?

Regards:thumbsup

As a Senior Modelmaker, what type of team do you have?
How do you delegate duties and what is your main function on the team?

JESTER

You guys have already used most of the good questions I could think of!

I guess I will go with...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What would you REALLY like to get the chance to work on next?

Maybe something that has been in the works or a script/book/play/game etc. that you would simply like to see made and be a part of? Like the Halo franchise etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may not even be able to answer that legally it's just all I could think of that others haven't asked! Looking forward to seeing these really good questions answered. :)

Good luck and God bless with your future endeavors! Weta is the best! I have truly loved everything you guys have been a part of!

What equipment do you have at your displosal everyday you arrive at work? So many rpf members have become diy masters but i know we'd all love to have our own shop filled goodies.

John ,

I often wondered that after a movie is completed , do you get the choice to keep certain props yourself and/or do you choice to archive select ones ?

Which of all the props you have designed, had the most moving parts or functions such as electronics or lights? Did this factor make it the most difficult prop you've ever created? And if not, which prop took the most trial-and-error to finish?

When looking back on your career of movie props, what moment in the shop stands out to you that says this is all worth it. What makes you go back in every day when work can often be frustrating.

Does it bother you, if one of your porps/models wind up in a deleted scene, or are you just happy you got the work, in the first place?

Do you find yourself designing things to keep for your own collection with no intention of using it for a possible production item?

How much of a connection do your departments usual have, to the costume departments, and how does that effect your choices? For instance, if your working on a sword, do you hear from them, if it would clash with one of their costumes, or perhaps wouldn't fit in the glove they've made for the character, and if so, is anything done about it on your end?

In such a creative industry, theft of ideas must happen often. Even if it is inadvertent (ie, thinking something is a new design, but in reality it's something someone might have seen many years ago)

Is there any rules / enforcement of rules for things like that. Or is it mostly a honour code amongst the trade?

and part 2 of that, does it ever feel like there really isn't much left to do , to truly be original?

Thanks for your time!
Mike

Do you have any advice for a hobbyist working out of his basement with barebones tools? Like someone said earlier alot of us are doing things with whatever is laying around.

Two questions,
1) Do you put yourself into your design? For example is the design personal or are you just following guidelines?
2) Do you design a prop towards a function (once you are done you decide how it works), or do you design a prop from a function (knowing how it works you can make the design to fit the operation)?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back