John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

Mr. Harvey-
Given the success of both Weta and your own career, do you find that you still have time to indulge your own personal interests/artistry and create your own projects not associated with Weta?

Last edited:
Do you sketch concepts out prior to beginning the modeling process or do you use a computer? Also, how much of the designing is done on computers, do you prefer using a computer or other means to design your models?

Given that some movies like Hellboy or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe have some kind of visual or literary description from the original artists, where did you draw inspirations from more unique projects such as Avatar, District 9, or Lord of the Rings?

Did a lot of the design/props that were created for the Halo shorts find their way into District 9 (Such as the sniper riffle, battle riffle, warthog, etc.)?

Many builders of all things Halo are using a program called pepakura, that takes the 3D design file from the game and allows you to print out the object to be created in 3D. Is this a similar method that was done when making the props/costumes for the Halo shorts, or was there a more traditional method used, like hand sculpting and casting?

Thanks for your time

Of the movie props that you didn't make yourself, which would be your favourite weapon, and your favourite non-weapon?
And why :)

What was your best 'AAAA-HAH!' moment? That elusive prop idea that kept you coming back again and again to the drawing board before the epiphany came? Were you falling asleep, in a dream, riding the bus or watching reruns of some episode of Twilight Zone? Tell us all ab out it.

Hi, John,

Any plans in the future to offer a table-top display for the Arc Generator? If not, would there be an issue with someone on the RPF creating and selling them?

What effect, do you think, the ever growing use of CGI, in film, is having on the Prop/model side of the industry? Do, you think the growing us of CGI, will force builders of Prop/Model to continue to push the limits of what they can make, or do you think CGI, will eventually, kill the Prop/model making side of the industry?

I am hugely grateful for the work all the folks at Weta do. I love seeing real props, that actors can reach out and touch, made by real people, on screen. I feel it adds a realize CGI will never match.

When designing a prop, do you consider durability and longevity beyond the production shoot since the market for original movie props have become a revenue source to the movie industry?

Does the thought of marketing replicas of a prop to fans ever influence your direction in designing a prop?

Last edited:
What effect, do you think, the ever growing use of CGI, in film, is having on the Prop/model side of the industry? Do, you think the growing us of CGI, will force builders of Prop/Model to continue to push the limits of what they can make, or do you think CGI, will eventually, kill the Prop/model making side of the industry?

I am hugely grateful for the work all the folks at Weta do. I love seeing real props, that actors can reach out and touch, made by real people, on screen. I feel it adds a realize CGI will never match.

Darnit, you beat me to it. I was going to ask the same thing

How does the design of a prop develop during the production process and how much do you take your inspiration from real existing objects?

If given no limit on time, money, or crew size, what is one project that you would love to tackle, that one dream job that you're always planning in the back of your head?

Since this is The Replica Prop Forum, do you ever look at us guys trying to replicate your designs and think, 'Nah, that bit doesn't go there', 'There's a funny story about that...' or just 'You guys are crazy!' :lol

Simon

was there ever a hellboy samaritan built that could actually shoot live rounds? The gun is huge, if it did fire, how many copies were made and what was it like handling such a beast? cheers.

This may tread dangerously close to questions already asked, but when designing various props (vehicles, weapons, whatever) do you often draw from real-world items, perhaps with the intent to invoke a certain feeling? or do you ever try to incorporate sort of inside-joke references to other films?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back