Indiana Jones DOD: The Basil Shaw Papers

RaidersLight

Hello everyone,

I create this forum thread specifically to discuss and study this interesting prop. My native language is not English, I hope I am well understood.

I have been handcrafting my own replica of this prop for a while now and I share here my findings and doubts.

To this text accompanies below an image that identifies each of the pages that for the moment are known, I guess there will be more, but we will not know until they are seen in the making of or in some art book of the film.

The pages are written in black ink, maybe a little reddish, and there are pencil drawings and markers in red and blue. The writing I'm pretty sure is a digital font imitating handwriting. It would be nice to find out what font it is.

All the pages are different and some have variants, and there are also pages with repeating text.

The pages:

(1) - THE COORDINATES PAGE.
This page shows the coordinates to be entered on the dial. There are two possible versions. They have different folds, some different stains and a more marked text on the back. On the back it seems to have more text, a list of words and some circular drawing.

(1b) THE BACK OF THE COORDINATES PAGE
Begins with a text that talks about Archimedes, his inventions and the dial. This is followed by a drawing of the graphikos spiral and a column with Greek letters above the ring of months. It ends with another long text.

(2) - THE LUNAR PAGE.
On this page he talks about the movements of the planets and the fracture for time travel. He talks about the lunar ring and draws it in pencil.
This page does not show clearly the upper part and the vertical text on the right side.

(2b) - THE MOON PAGE B
On this page he talks about Syracuse, the lunar ring, Egyptian mathematics and Alexandria among other things. Not all of the upper text and the end is well appreciated.

(3) - THE PAGE OF THE SPIRAL
The text tells us that he is almost convinced that the day is used for time travel. It shares texts with page 2. It has a large drawing of a spiral like the one on the back of the grafikos.

(4) - THE PAGE OF THE PARTHENON
This page has illegible texts and an illustration of the ground plan of the Parthenon of Athens.

(5) - THE PAGE OF GREEK SYMBOLS
This page has a text that shares paragraphs with page 2 and 4. It talks about using the dial for time travel. At the bottom of the page it has Greek symbols written in pencil.

(6) - THE GREEK ALPHABET PAGE
This page contains a table with the Greek alphabet. It shares text from Egyptian and Alexandrian mathematics seen on page 2.

(7) - THE MATHEMATICAL FORMULAS PAGE
The page begins with some mathematical formulas. And then a text that narrates how complex is the mechanism of the dial. Most of the text does not read well.

(8) - THE DIAL PAGE
A page with a drawing of part of the dial and a table of Greek letters.

(9) - THE PAGE OF THE GREEK LETTERS
It has some tables with numbers, sums and Egyptian letters written on it.

Page 8 and 9 are in a journal, supposedly Basil's, but I'm going to consider them part of the loose papers.

listado-papeles-basil.jpg

Pages 5 to 9 are on display in the exhibition at Disney Park and Jock's bar.

I still have a lot of text to decipher.

PXL_20231001_133602121.jpg

Last edited:
The back of the numbers page begins with a text that talks about Archimedes, his inventions and the dial. This is followed by a drawing of the graphikos spiral and a column with Greek letters above the ring of months. It ends with another long text.

vlcsnap-2023-10-12-10h34m34s132.jpg

Hello everyone,

I create this forum thread specifically to discuss and study this interesting prop. My native language is not English, I hope I am well understood.

I have been handcrafting my own replica of this prop for a while now and I share here my findings and doubts.

To this text accompanies below an image that identifies each of the pages that for the moment are known, I guess there will be more, but we will not know until they are seen in the making of or in some art book of the film.

The pages are written in black ink, maybe a little reddish, and there are pencil drawings and markers in red and blue. The writing I'm pretty sure is a digital font imitating handwriting. It would be nice to find out what font it is.

All the pages are different and some have variants, and there are also pages with repeating text.

The pages:

(1) - THE COORDINATES PAGE.
This page shows the coordinates to be entered on the dial. There are two possible versions. They have different folds, some different stains and a more marked text on the back. On the back it seems to have more text, a list of words and some circular drawing.

(1b) THE BACK OF THE COORDINATES PAGE
Begins with a text that talks about Archimedes, his inventions and the dial. This is followed by a drawing of the graphikos spiral and a column with Greek letters above the ring of months. It ends with another long text.

(2) - THE LUNAR PAGE.
On this page he talks about the movements of the planets and the fracture for time travel. He talks about the lunar ring and draws it in pencil.
This page does not show clearly the upper part and the vertical text on the right side.

(2b) - THE MOON PAGE B
On this page he talks about Syracuse, the lunar ring, Egyptian mathematics and Alexandria among other things. Not all of the upper text and the end is well appreciated.

(3) - THE PAGE OF THE SPIRAL
The text tells us that he is almost convinced that the day is used for time travel. It shares texts with page 2. It has a large drawing of a spiral like the one on the back of the grafikos.

(4) - THE PAGE OF THE PARTHENON
This page has illegible texts and an illustration of the ground plan of the Parthenon of Athens.

(5) - THE PAGE OF GREEK SYMBOLS
This page has a text that shares paragraphs with page 2 and 4. It talks about using the dial for time travel. At the bottom of the page it has Greek symbols written in pencil.

(6) - THE GREEK ALPHABET PAGE
This page contains a table with the Greek alphabet. It shares text from Egyptian and Alexandrian mathematics seen on page 2.

(7) - THE MATHEMATICAL FORMULAS PAGE
The page begins with some mathematical formulas. And then a text that narrates how complex is the mechanism of the dial. Most of the text does not read well.

(8) - THE DIAL PAGE
A page with a drawing of part of the dial and a table of Greek letters.

(9) - THE PAGE OF THE GREEK LETTERS
It has some tables with numbers, sums and Egyptian letters written on it.

Page 8 and 9 are in a journal, supposedly Basil's, but I'm going to consider them part of the loose papers.

View attachment 1749411

Pages 5 to 9 are on display in the exhibition at Disney Park and Jock's bar.

I still have a lot of text to decipher.

View attachment 1749414
Nice!

Thank you all. The truth is that there are many hours of research to decipher all the texts.

I made a dozen copies of this prop, all with aged paper. I will distribute among my Indy friends. If there are any copies left over I imagine I will sell them somewhere.

Anyway I guess I will upload some scans of the main pages in the future.

I would also absolutely love to get a set of them! Your work looks amazing, very nice job! I have been planning to do the same digging on them to make them for my Indy Journal but have been focusing on the journal pages first before I work on inserts.

einfach top und Respekt für so eine tolle Arbeit . Es wäre schön, ein Set davon in meiner Sammlung zu haben

In english, please

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES​

M. Official Language. While our Communities welcome people of all language, English is the official language of our Communities because it is the common language between our staff and members. Because we cannot moderate conversations in a foreign language, you may not hold a public conversation in a language other than English.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back