JFcustom's FOAM files

I would like to ask a question:
For my first build I have managed to build all the costume parts and the foam structure for the helmet from my avatar,but since the foam came from a roll,the foam was pre-curved.
The two flaps you see sticking out at the top of the helmet have a slight outward angle.I intend to use the airgun to correct the flaps to make them symmetrical (and in doing so,undoing the 'roll-curve').

From what I've understood the 6mm thick foam needs to be heated quite some time (?) in orde to become flexible and the same goes for cooling off.How do I fixate the foam flaps under a slight angle so that it can cool off without me having to hold these flaps for 30 minutes or more? Like I said, the helmet is already assembled (beginner's mistake?),so I need to be careful not to affect the rest of the helmet.

Thank you so much for your comment(s).

Awesome to hear some progress on your Beetle. I like using clothes or blankets to prop my foam up on. That way, I don't have my warm foam getting dented on hard angles while it cools. Especially on helmets that need to be narrower than the foam would naturally curve it, I stack up some blankets on each side and trap it in between them while it cools.

I don't know the specific foam you have access to over there, but you shouldn't have to heat it up for very long, and shouldn't need to wait very long for it to cool. Both heating and cooling time shouldn't be more than a few minutes altogether. In all but a few instances, you can quickly do it while holding it and don't need to leave it sit.

As far as not letting the heat affect the rest of the foam around it, I like to use a piece of cardboard in one hand to block the hot air from hitting part of the foam, or you could just cut a hole in the cardboard to let the flap stick up through and blast it with hot air. Hope that fits for what you're describing.

Saved me again,Collin ~ thank you!
I find that a small obstacle such as this can keep me from progress so easily,just because I can't figure out how to tackle it.Not permanently,but long enough to discourage for a while.

Here they sell Durafoam,which is the local(?) equivalent of EVA foam I guess:

http://www.minque.nl/en/

Does anyone have a foam unfold for a Shredder helmet from the 89 cartoon? I've seen lots of movie helmets but none for the cartoon

I've sort of modified the dwarf helmet on the first page but it's a bit off, and I can't figure out how to complete the "trident" shape in the middle of the helmet.

Hi all
I need to ask good unfolders for help. I paid somebody for Female spartan files and soon I will have all files ready to unfold. I am good in Master Chief (foam) but unfolding is new for me (I made maybe 2 unfolds ) .
Can someone help me with this?
front1.jpgwip___female_spartan_armor_2_by_sgthk-d3brinh.jpg

I think I need 3 weeks to have all files.
Thank you for help .

Hi all, I am trying to modify a file for a build for my daughter, it's Honey Lemon from Big Hero Six, specifically the helmet, I want to detach the antenna/ears from main helmet and fill the space where they go with just a rounded edge that I can attach separate antenna/ears to. So far no luck, any help would be appreciated.

File I am using: http://www.4shared.com/file/P5l1fYnhce/Honey_Lemon_Helmet_Elorah_Foam.html

Give this a shot. I only had a few minutes before heading out the door:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/88cdttoxab8l63m/Honey+Lemon+Helmet+Elorah+ears+removed.pdo

I unfolded for foam, and it's in the same scale your original download file was :thumbsup

Thanks Laelle, will give it a go when I get home, I'd love the time to sit and play with 3d models but I ahve small children a working wife and work shift work as an Operating Theatre nurse, a little help like this is what makes TheRPF community so great.

IMAG0387.jpgIMAG0388.jpgIMAG0389.jpg

The alteration to files worked great I altered further to create a depressed area on top of helm (using Pop Vinyl figure for reference there) and it has come out great. Thanks Laelle and RPF.

Finally had a couple hours free, it aint pretty being my first foam work and time poor but my 6 year old is pretty happy :)

View attachment 598023
This looks great. A few years I made a Gogo helmet and armor I unfolded myself for my daughter. Are there more Big Hero 6 files where you got this Honey Lemon file? I'd love to see if there has been another Gogo pep file created since 2013.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Im working on the mk6 codpiece but there is some lines that stop like this
cf751adcd817a523098518c4b9a63729.jpg
what should i do should i change the line angles to make them join there or expand the line until they reach each other like this ?
921488cc21c59da78c58c772d7d9a529.jpg
thank for your help guys

I grabbed the Honey Lemon and Baymax files from Pepakura Library Facebook page. I haven't seen a Gogo file at all though. After white basecoat has gone on I am noticing lots of imperfections but as I said my daughter doesn't care and I need to move onto the bag and chest armor. It has been a good practice run for future foam projects sourcing materials in Australia is hard and expensive if you aren't in a capital city.

what should i do should i change the line angles to make them join there or expand the line until they reach each other like this ? http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160229/921488cc21c59da78c58c772d7d9a529.jpg thank for your help guys

If you change the angle to come together right there, you'll have a shorter seam, which is nice, but the foam won't curve gradually. It'll have a sharper curve right at the end of that piece of foam. If you extend the lines on the angle they're going, you'll have a more gradual curve in the foam, but you'll have a nice long seam, which is the bane of nice looking foam costumes.

Depends on what you like. I personally always go for a nice long seam :) and then spend unnecessary amounts of time smoothing it out.

If you change the angle to come together right there, you'll have a shorter seam, which is nice, but the foam won't curve gradually. It'll have a sharper curve right at the end of that piece of foam. If you extend the lines on the angle they're going, you'll have a more gradual curve in the foam, but you'll have a nice long seam, which is the bane of nice looking foam costumes.

Depends on what you like. I personally always go for a nice long seam :) and then spend unnecessary amounts of time smoothing it out.
Thank you I will go with tge long seams but it wont be a problem because I will coat my pieces with smooth cast 65d to get a durability close to fiberglass suit. I started the suit in paper but i gaved up after being able to make only 3 pieces in 4 month and seeing my friend that pep his full masterchief suit in 1 month

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back