JFcustom's FOAM files

It is probably already been discussed, but I have been playing with a 2 part epoxy resin of late and discovered this stuff is awesome for all sorts of stuff including the sealing up the foam. It has minimal odor when in liquid/gel state, and no smell once cured. I have also used this to smooth out the scan lines of 3D printed parts. Maybe this is the same stuff discussed in that forum, not sure.

I know the "norm" is PVA glue, but I live in a fairly humid place and wanted something "water proof".

The stuff I am using is an epoxy also known as "Liquid Glass". It is mixed at 2:1 and is water clear, is self leveling and has a pot life of over 30 minutes at room temperature. You can add pigments to it if you wanted to colour it (means you don't have to paint later) and you can layer build it up as it seems to stick to EVERYTHING including fiberglass, Bondo, other types of resins and even Plasti-dip and of course, itself. It cures with a glassly finish if applied thick enough. It sands well and can be trimmed with a dremil. You will need to brush on a layer to seal that later.

Cure time is about 3 hours but thickness pending, it can take up to 3 days to reach full hardness.

What I found is that for the first day, it remains flexible enough to bend. So I am thinking this might be cool to coat the parts in whilst they are flat. Bend and glue. Then apply a 2nd coat to help make the structure rigid.

I have been pouring it on my project, but today, I decided to see how brushing goes. So far looking good and the brush marks are already gone and of course, this method uses far less resin or allows the same amount to be spread much farther.

So my project is this Pred Bio that started as foam.
attachment.php

Then after several fails of testing various things to seam the foam, moved to fiberglass.

attachment.php

And now Epoxy (AKA liquid glass)

attachment.php

So even though you can see the matting from the fiberglass, you can't feel it because it is smooth like a polished piece and this has set hard now.
During the modding, I had cut the jaw completely off, widened it and pinned it with two long screws. I then bonded it back together with this epoxy. It has been dropped already and did not crack! If it did crack, it would very easy to repair.

My testing:

1. my first attempt to seal was Plasti-dip which soaked into the foam and never really sealed it. I probably should have used PVA first, but didn't.

2. I then melted a heap of hot glue sticks and applied that. It worked OK, but you could not really sand it to finish it without gumming up both sand paper or rotary tools.

3. I then used a Polyester Resin which worked in places but reacted with the previous coats causing the hot glue to bubble underneath. Polyester Resins get really hot as they cure and I guess it basically melted the hot glue. It also stinks for weeks and feel tacky for days. It also cracked when the foam flexed.

4. I then needed to teach myself to fiberglass, so old mate Pred Bio was once again the test bench. This stuff worked but fiberglass is itchy and the resin (being polyester) stinks for weeks.

5. Now I am using liquid glass and having a massive win here. It is cheap, easy to use and you don't even need to degas it. The bubbles will generally pop on their own.

Not on the Pred Bio, but though this is worth a share...

I have also used an expensive (almost 5x the cost of the expoy for the same amount of product) Polyurethane rubber which is awesome for sealing foam, but to get the best results, you DO NEED a vacuum chamber to degas this stuff. Potlife is only 15min, so you need to work fast. The really cool thing about this product is that it remains flexible, so if making wearable parts that need to bend, this is the stuff. Like the epoxy, it is water clear and you can add pigments to colour it.
Like the expoy, this stuff bites into the foam and if you were peel it up, it tears the top layer away with it.
If working on vertical surfaces, you can let this run into gel state and apply it as a thick goop. More difficult to work, but can be shaped as well as skinned on.

Just not for everyone.

My project is this foam Predator Bio from JF Customs that I was never 100% happy with. Nothing wrong with his un-fold, just I had issues putting it together and used it as my test subject for all sorts of weird ways to seal the foam.

Attachments

• Pred1.JPG
    Pred1.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 2,974
  • Pred2.jpg
    Pred2.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 2,961
  • Pred6.jpg
    Pred6.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 2,951
@tjojo98 what I do is extend the cuts and tape it beforehand. Then I heatform the foam to the same shape/curve/dome. Only after that I trace it to the foam so that there are no disturbing seams on the foam. Here's an example of my ironman helmet
.uploadfromtaptalk1456996041682.jpg
Normally you have horizontal lines at the sides of the dome. With this technic, u have less seam and smoother finish afterwards

@tjojo98 what I do is extend the cuts and tape it beforehand. Then I heatform the foam to the same shape/curve/dome. Only after that I trace it to the foam so that there are no disturbing seams on the foam. Here's an example of my ironman helmet
.View attachment 599124
Normally you have horizontal lines at the sides of the dome. With this technic, u have less seam and smoother finish afterwards
Wow really great work im starting my mk6 over in foam because i started it in cardstock and now i onky have 4 month before montreal comic con and onky 3 pieces pep so i went with foam . And for sure never going to go back to cardstock for full suit to much time consuming what i will do is that I will coat my foam with smoothcast 65d to give it a fiber glass suit durability and hide all the bubles in my foam . Definitely going on with a mk42 after the mk6. Where did you get the foam for your helmet? i cant find other small thickness foam than 6mm or 1-2mm foamies and it only comes in sheet . No roll so its not jfcustom compatible ahah. Sory for my english im from quebec that's why I have some difficulty

I got mine through Amazon. Those are baby puzzle mats 8mm. Check out my progress on my fb page ironmarkprops. There u will see that I don't use normal eva mats but high quality eva. It's more expensive but the quality of the surface is very good

It is probably already been discussed, but I have been playing with a 2 part epoxy resin of late and discovered this stuff is awesome for all sorts of stuff including the sealing up the foam. It has minimal odor when in liquid/gel state, and no smell once cured. I have also used this to smooth out the scan lines of 3D printed parts. Maybe this is the same stuff discussed in that forum, not sure.

I know the "norm" is PVA glue, but I live in a fairly humid place and wanted something "water proof".

The stuff I am using is an epoxy also known as "Liquid Glass". It is mixed at 2:1 and is water clear, is self leveling and has a pot life of over 30 minutes at room temperature. You can add pigments to it if you wanted to colour it (means you don't have to paint later) and you can layer build it up as it seems to stick to EVERYTHING including fiberglass, Bondo, other types of resins and even Plasti-dip and of course, itself. It cures with a glassly finish if applied thick enough. It sands well and can be trimmed with a dremil. You will need to brush on a layer to seal that later.

Cure time is about 3 hours but thickness pending, it can take up to 3 days to reach full hardness.

What I found is that for the first day, it remains flexible enough to bend. So I am thinking this might be cool to coat the parts in whilst they are flat. Bend and glue. Then apply a 2nd coat to help make the structure rigid.

I have been pouring it on my project, but today, I decided to see how brushing goes. So far looking good and the brush marks are already gone and of course, this method uses far less resin or allows the same amount to be spread much farther.

So my project is this Pred Bio that started as foam.
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=599105&d=1456982417

Then after several fails of testing various things to seam the foam, moved to fiberglass.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=599106&d=1456982468

And now Epoxy (AKA liquid glass)

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=599107&d=1456982498

So even though you can see the matting from the fiberglass, you can't feel it because it is smooth like a polished piece and this has set hard now.
During the modding, I had cut the jaw completely off, widened it and pinned it with two long screws. I then bonded it back together with this epoxy. It has been dropped already and did not crack! If it did crack, it would very easy to repair.

My testing:

1. my first attempt to seal was Plasti-dip which soaked into the foam and never really sealed it. I probably should have used PVA first, but didn't.

2. I then melted a heap of hot glue sticks and applied that. It worked OK, but you could not really sand it to finish it without gumming up both sand paper or rotary tools.

3. I then used a Polyester Resin which worked in places but reacted with the previous coats causing the hot glue to bubble underneath. Polyester Resins get really hot as they cure and I guess it basically melted the hot glue. It also stinks for weeks and feel tacky for days. It also cracked when the foam flexed.

4. I then needed to teach myself to fiberglass, so old mate Pred Bio was once again the test bench. This stuff worked but fiberglass is itchy and the resin (being polyester) stinks for weeks.

5. Now I am using liquid glass and having a massive win here. It is cheap, easy to use and you don't even need to degas it. The bubbles will generally pop on their own.

Not on the Pred Bio, but though this is worth a share...

I have also used an expensive (almost 5x the cost of the expoy for the same amount of product) Polyurethane rubber which is awesome for sealing foam, but to get the best results, you DO NEED a vacuum chamber to degas this stuff. Potlife is only 15min, so you need to work fast. The really cool thing about this product is that it remains flexible, so if making wearable parts that need to bend, this is the stuff. Like the epoxy, it is water clear and you can add pigments to colour it.
Like the expoy, this stuff bites into the foam and if you were peel it up, it tears the top layer away with it.
If working on vertical surfaces, you can let this run into gel state and apply it as a thick goop. More difficult to work, but can be shaped as well as skinned on.

Just not for everyone.

My project is this foam Predator Bio from JF Customs that I was never 100% happy with. Nothing wrong with his un-fold, just I had issues putting it together and used it as my test subject for all sorts of weird ways to seal the foam.
I like the result of the textured side on the outside

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk

Is there a tutorial on how to convert paper templates to jf custom style foam templates?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Quick instructions:

1) If this was originally a paper unfold, select undo unfold and make sure both boxes are unchecked, and select OK. Then select 3d menu>reset edge properties. Now select unfold again. This eliminates all of the settings for the paper unfold and gives you a fresh start.

2) After the model's been unfolded, hit ctl-e for the set edge color menu. Adjust the slider in the lower right down to 160 degrees. That will ignore all minor folds that can be ignore for a foam build.

3) 2d menu>join adjacent edges, just set this to .75 and hit OK. That will join up all of the gaps you would want in a paper unfold, but can be ignored in foam (it'll stretch the gaps)

4) Now unfold manually using join/disjoin and such to get the unfold the way you want it. You will occasionally want to repeat step 3 to make sure the adjacent edges you are creating as you unfold disappear if they are close enough together.

Before I start unfolding, I turn off show flaps and show edge ID if either one is on. You don't want the flaps anyways, and the edge ID function can slow your processor down if you zoom in on parts. I do turn the edge ID back on before printing though.

The join adjacent edges feature is what eliminates the majority of the small 'banana-peel' cuts in templates, I think JFcustom actually goes above .75 in his settings to remove even more of them, but it's a trade-off... If you have that figure set to 1.5mm, you're now going to have to stretch foam that far in some areas even in a small area to make things assemble; the templates will look cleaner, but you could run into problems depending. Just me, but I never go over 1mm.

Hi, I've tried unfolding some pep files that I have for foam and I'm just not understanding it...is there anyone still still willing to do it? Unfortunately this is full armor the cinematic version of The Lich King from WoW. Also not sure how to upload these...they came from this thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=198866 Thanks in advance!

Have a look at Heroes Workshop YouTube Vids, he goes into detail in how to mod paper Pep files into Pep files you can use to generate foam parts:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzK8seg-Lo&list=PLCOPUfMhXjM9e87_GKFU4C11X9la0HVRB

Roughneckone :cool

Does anybody have any photos of a completed Multi-Hero Blue Beetle cowl from these files?
It would be very helpful to see if anybody is willing to show. Thanks!

I'm a little confused on how to work the boots from your/Dancin Fool's MkIII files. Please Help!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little confused on how to work the boots from your/Dancin Fool's MkIII files. Please Help!!

Always check and alter the scale to your own sizes.Never start building anything,assuming it has the correct size.This could turn out to be an expensive ride especially in foam if not checked beforehand.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back