JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days.

These files and tips are great, I just finished my Iron Man Mark VI foam suit, minus the wiring after only a month of building!

May I ask how one would 'transfer' the texture of a low poly pepakura file onto foam,aside from adding thinner foam on top of foam?
Would you use a soldering iron (Laellee,you taught me this trick for creating magnet crevices :thumbsup), wood engraving tool,or something completely different?
Thank you all for your view on this.

You would have to explain better, but I am more than willing to help. I am fighting with my girlfriend, so if this is fragmented, apologies..... Best example is this:

ComicCon_Warmachine.jpg

Those chest divets (the Y's) are cut in initialy. But now look above the 'Y' cut. The easy way to make that is to burn out (iron or otherwise) the outline. What is better is to use 2mm craft foam over the top to define the details. HALO stuff defines it really well when it comes to panel line and steps, but here is my unwritten (and have not done it in a while) rule:

1) start straight in foam, keep your work as clean as you can.
2) Deep panel lines, solder iron tip, use a straight edge and define them with sharp corners.
3) Raised panels, trim craft foam (Michaels or otherwise) and set it in place until it looks right. SPRAY ADHESIVE! I don't care what you did before, spray and stick it.
4) You can definitely solder iron details over this now, but think about it before you do. I use craft adhesive on those next layers because I know I can tear that off if I need to.
5) Seal. Pick your way. I would douse with PVA, but it's pretty amazing how kind Plastidip is.

Point is, you can layer with craft foam.... You can burn in, you can layer, but what will work out is making depth using either. Stupid analogy, but pretend you are building a cake. Frosting is the last thing. If it looks close before frosting but not so much, fix it. If you don't think you know how, finish it, and the frosting will come. Frosting makes ugly cakes look amazing every day. And think about this; There are pros with ugly cakes who win awards.... just saying

Thanks for your response,Laellee.
My question had to do with Balmung's thread [Iron Man Armors] 3D Models where he shares the (low poly) IM MKs with texture, extracted from a video game.

I knew about the possibilities with craftfoam,but was wondering what tool to use for creating details directly onto the foam without adding craftfoam. Two tools that I had heard about are 1).Soldering iron ; 2).wood engraving tool;
Not sure which one applies to detailing foam directly without the use of extra layers.
I hope that explained it better.Thank you again.

If it's greaves or fissures u can also cut 1/8th deep with cutter and use a heat gun. The heat opens the cut. U can also use a dremel for details and round corners.

Got it; so the soldering iron is only useful to make space in the foam for magnets,but not an accurate tool to make details in foam,because it melts rather than cuts ?

Adding my two cents, the only difference between a wood engraving tool and soldering iron is the temperature really, but both accomplish the same thing. If you use either of these, do like was mentioned and use a straight edge.

If you remember my ARS helmet, I think posted earlier in this thread, that was free hand and my first attempt at doing detail lines with a soldering iron. Pretty ugly. On the other hand, using a knife and heat gun will probably always look prettier. Take that Stargate Chirp build from a few months back for example. That had some really nice detail and that was done with a knife and heat gun.

My gift to you and to entire RPF community:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C037472CB8AE35B!507&authkey=!AAVxTt10LanYJlc&ithint=folder,pdo
There wasn't a shin guard but you could easily modify an iron man shin guard. Cheers!
thats awsome im building a resin pep of the helmet atm thankyou so much :)

to anyone wh has done foam pep could i use the foam templates on cardstock and still have the same effect id like all my armour to be plastic rather then foam?

You can use Foam files to make a card stock template for plastic, just keep in mind the foam files are designed to work with a thicker medium than thin plastic or paper. The paper unfolds maybe easier to use if your working with a plastic though, just turn off the tabs when you print them out.

Hi,

sorry if this has been asked but I'm trying to open the Rocketeer Helmet: I press it and it takes me to a new page which is full of code?! (i'm using Firefox). I click it with Internet Explorer and it says "Blank Page".

I just want the Pepakura file of the Rocketeer Helmet featured on this post.

Please can someone help me as I really want to make this project!!

Thank you,

Danny :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back