Iron man helmet that opens idea

fries

Anyone ever tried to make a helmet that opens? I don't mean exactly a mask opening, but the entire helmet opens and sort of retracts around your neck, like in the mark 46 but... realistic. Could something like this be doable with an array of servos, like pictured in the autoking mark 5 helmet?
1619856693004.png

i have a friend who has been designing a helmet like that for nearly 2 years, the tests themselves have all worked thus far so it seems possible, but not easy. He started with 46 but after running into to many issues ended up scrapping the design to rework it into a 42 helmet (which he hasnt shared publicly yet) these are the animations he did with the 46 model before switching to a new suit mk

That's very interesting. What i was thinking is a sort of array on the lines of the back of the helmet, so it sort of folds to the back of your neck, similar design to those toy flick out lightsabers? I'll try to animate an example on blender.

Here's a concept render i did. in the back would be 2 linear actuators or similar devices on rotating fitments so that you can still move your neck as well as retract the helmet. Of course there is issues, clipping and things you could do better. Ideally you'd want a different shape of the pieces moving out, or in general just less pieces, but i didn't wanna take the time and model something myself. Inside would be an array of servos with valid space between the person and the servos filled in with padding.

I think the real issue would come down to alignment at the end. Having 2 pieces so far apart move around a head and meet each other at the far end of their reach perfectly in line is a monumental task at that scale and with such space constraints. The Autoking helmet does a good job giving the illusion of this by having bits move on set paths within limited areas. I do not doubt that in 5-10 years servos and small electromagnets will make this much more possible but component size and strength just isn’t quite there commercially.

Now if you just wanted to film something awesome I think this could be done backwards. Having an assembled helmet pulled apart with an internal web of fishing line and magnets. Played in reverse it would actually be really cool to see.

fries, I would've rather seen your design in the movies than all those nanotech disappearing helmets and masks. I hate that stuff!

Yes i agree realignment and matching the seams are a key goal here.
Realignment once or even twice is one thing, but realignment in a never-ending approach is the challenge.
Love this energy

Agreed with Murdoch. I think it's absolutely doable, you just don't get any wiggle room in your control linkages, especially those lateral movements. I had a bear of a time with my Grey fox helmet, I found that well-hidden registration tabs at the meeting points of panels solved a lot of the 'panel-drift', as I called it.

That would be a sweet design to see, even as a non-motorized prototype first that you could work the actuation kinks out of before you start squeezing in power (y)

yeah, alignment is really the hardest part. Definitely gonna have to research a lot about keeping the pieces still.

its been a year and ive done so much research on these mechanisms and all, earlier today i found this guy who did the closest ive ever seeen!
no clue what he is using to make the helmet open how it does but it is totally possible!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back