Fallout AERX modular laser pistol/rifle

Phaestoz

I started this build when Fallout 4 was first announced and I've had a few restarts but its pretty far along now. The plan is to make the laser pistol modular just as it is in game to switch from a pistol to a rifle or an automatic at some point. So far I have finished the short barrel, standard grip, capacitor, and reflex sight. The long barrel, rifle grip, and standard stock are close to completion and will be molded when I get silicone.

The masters are hand machined out of mainly Syntra, acrylic, and styrene with very few 3D printed pieces.

The cast pieces are cold cast with aluminum powder (one piece with copper powder) and have laser cut aluminum inserts, a hand machined aluminum rail, and steel hardware for all of the screws.

I also made the battery lever, trigger, and slide functional (videos on imgur)

I'll post a few photos here from the pistol first and some progress on the rifle later, but I have a lot more on Imgur and Instagram.
(unfortunately my Instagram is currently offline but should be back tomorrow)

an early picture before primer
X0bM2v6.jpg

This is where each piece separates. The grip is held in with 2 screws in the angled supports and the barrel is connected with 1 inch neodymium magnets as well as 2 screws into the aluminum flat section of the grip to lock it in.

The pistol grip had to have an odd way of sliding into its spot to avoid the ridge on the capacitor, I'll see if can find my test piece that shows it well later.

55JwSTs.jpg

I made a press form out of steel for the ridge on the aluminum battery lever
7q9eKcv.jpg

A nice exploded view of all of the masters before molding
s9W5Dpd.jpg

First set of good castings test fit together
thdowmd.jpg

An almost completed kit, last thing that needed weathering was the battery in this picture
joAA7GU.jpg

pChZom9.jpg

FvY2S0I.jpg

Nice!!! That's one of the best replicas I've seen so far and it's not 3D printed! I've been planning to do the rifle for a couple years for my nephew and have done planning and bought materials, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm glad to see that works because that's exactly how I planned to attach the site to mine! What strength magnets did you have to use to get it to stay attached?

Wow, this is an amazing build! The craftsmanship is simply uncanny! I love everything Fallout, and will absolutely be following this thread and project!

Here's the progress on the rifle barrel so far.

7kcZ294.jpg

16VcWPc.jpg

2idawXm.jpg

3vPj4uf.jpg

E1Jztjy.jpg

oD236cq.jpg

fivjk4z.jpg

YHmHm91.jpg

nRiiVTb.jpg

It just needs a little more finishing on it and it'll be ready for silicone but it might be a bit until I get some. While I wait I've started the beam splitter and I'll post some picture of that when I make good progress.

This is beyond incredible! The craftsmanship is truly inspiring. What is your primary material for building the core rifle elements? Forex/PVC Foam board?

This is beyond incredible! The craftsmanship is truly inspiring. What is your primary material for building the core rifle elements? Forex/PVC Foam board?
Thank you! The bulk of it is machined out of expanded white/black/grey PVC foam which I believe is Sintra brand. To make the thicker pieces I stack up layers of Sintra with super glue and it seems to hold nicely.

amazing old school build! This takes me back to the old days of the rpf where people made things as opposed to assemble things (3d prints). Not saying 3d printing is all bad but this kind of craftsmanship is just so much more impressive. Great build, great weathering, well done!

I agree! I 3d print most of the things that I do, but seeing someone who can do the process of machining everything and building from scratch. So motivational! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the peek behind the curtain! I’ve only recently started working with PVC foam board and it’s an awesome versatile material, but you make it sing!

It sounds like you’re planning on doing castings of these pieces for a modular kit? That would be incredible if so. What do you think the weight of this sucker would be if it was all resin cast?

Thank you for the compliments, I've printed whole props in the past but I find that making them by hand ends up with less finishing and feels more rewarding.

Thanks for the peek behind the curtain! I’ve only recently started working with PVC foam board and it’s an awesome versatile material, but you make it sing!

It sounds like you’re planning on doing castings of these pieces for a modular kit? That would be incredible if so. What do you think the weight of this sucker would be if it was all resin cast?

I rotocast the larger pieces, but the castings for the pistol together are about 3.75 Lbs

Oooh, love this, great model work and paint. I see you also started with the game files, some of those details are... Very specific. How did you decide how you were going to pivot the trigger? The reference doesn't seem to be very authoritative on that topic.

I printed out most of mine as an assembly test, then got all perfectionist and had to sand and prime it to finish, and then got tired of sanding prints halfway through. :lol: The intent is also a modular machined version with possible castings, so this is very cool to see. Beautiful job!

Oooh, love this, great model work and paint. I see you also started with the game files, some of those details are... Very specific. How did you decide how you were going to pivot the trigger? The reference doesn't seem to be very authoritative on that topic.

I printed out most of mine as an assembly test, then got all perfectionist and had to sand and prime it to finish, and then got tired of sanding prints halfway through. :lol: The intent is also a modular machined version with possible castings, so this is very cool to see. Beautiful job!
Thank you, I did go off of the game files. The rifle triggers texture on the model looks to have a screw or rivet where I made the pivot. The disk the other end sits in also seems to have an arc groove in it that I modified to be in line with the pivot.

My goodness! That looks absolutely beautiful! The extra effort you put into machining all the parts really shows in the detail. 100% geeking out over here. :love:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back