Limited Run Dredd Lawgiver 2012 Full Electronics and Action

I'm sorta vibing on the environmentally friendly packaging thing, and I think I have the solution. It's hopefully something I can create a tutorial for, if it works well, and some tools that others can use to replicate.

I created 2 tools for my CNC, that I will be sharing later, that work with most standard CNC routers. The goal is to create a stable, cool, minimalistic packaging. I went out and bought some unbleached card stock to test the theory.

First pass is the creaser, it's spring loaded with a 1/8 rounded steel rod tip which will create all the fold lines:

CNC Creaser v2.png

Next is the pen tool, which uses the same base but a different insert to draw the design on the face of the box. It will hold a sharpie, or a paint pen, depending on what works better:

CNC Pen Holder.png

The final pass will be using my drag knife, it's a retail one so no model for that, it will cut this design:
Packaging - Only Cuts.jpg

The flaps fold down and protect it from moving on all 4 sides, the top folds under to become the bottom with slots that each flap fits into, securing it firmly.

There's an overbox that I have yet to design that this insert will fit inside, with 1cm foam insert on the top and bottom to protect it, looking for something environmentally friendly like jds12 suggested but if all else fails it's still 90% less waste than what I was doing before.

Yes, it's maybe a bit overengineered, but I searched long and hard for something that would avoid buying another 100lb brick of styrofoam to cut up and honestly there was nothing else out there.

My kids say my videos are too long and slow, thought I would practice today while etching the metal thank you cards for the lawgivers. It's also the first part of upgrading my CNC for cutting the brass inserts. The Z axis is still on belt drive, I just retrammed it and tested with these, which worked out really well! Almost makes me not want to take it apart over the weekend, but the box of upgrade parts is just too tempting to leave any longer..

Volume warning:

Knightmare This one is for you (Sorta, I remade it after. I scratched the paint marker wiping the aluminum dust off in an outtake)

And on this note the run is now feature locked and set at 16, super happy to be doing this run to celebrate finishing by far the most feature rich and technical model I've ever designed, but there's no way I'm doing this for a living, phew! Hand made is very different than factory made. Feels like the Flintstones meet the Jetsons where a 3D printer makes the parts then I spend days hand sanding and carving it to shape!

Colored filament to film the YouTube videos came, going to wait until I have 8 printed for the run before switching over so it doesn't hold things up. The natural filament does not show up on camera until the primer goes on. Going to print 2 of those and they'll end up as mine, unless anyone wants one of the ones used in the videos instead, in which case let me know and they're yours. I would recommend against it as the natural stuff has better properties, but if you want 'screen used' then who am I to argue :D
Damn... now I wish I had found this first. I was literally shopping online for one while you posted about this. Haha. Would have been amazing to get 1/16. I guess I'll take 14.

Question: In the past when I've shipped props, I've created custom packaging by CNC cutting clamshell inserts out of styrofoam. As awesome as this works, I'm looking for something more environmentally friendly. I'm rolling around CNC cutting cardstock to sort of an origami inset/box all in one, but even sketching this out makes my brain hurt. I've never seen it done so it does appeal from a nerdy perspective.

I don't just want to shove it in a box with crumpled newspaper, I have standards, but does anyone know of any good, environmentally friendly, and non-cranium imploding, options?
What about spray foam? I've seen this in other videos and it looks like it works really well. This is an example but he doesn't really set it like I've seen before...

(start at 0:50)

In another video they set something inside and then added the top layer. Both expanded and created almost like an outer protective mould. Perfectly fit to the item inside.

Damn... now I wish I had found this first. I was literally shopping online for one while you posted about this. Haha. Would have been amazing to get 1/16. I guess I'll take 14.
Haha, it's only numbered on the card, not on the Lawgiver. It was sort of a way to say "I'm only making this many", I have a bad habit of letting things get out of hand if I don't create hard stops.

The spray idea is interesting, but I'd like to try the cardstock idea first. It ticks all the boxes: Classy and well presented, environmentally friendly, and unique (and I don't have to spend 2 days with a leaf blower getting Styrofoam bits out of impossible places).

This is how my previous packaging looked:

20201019_171041.jpg

Looks great, works great, terrible from a sustainability standpoint.

Last edited:
If there is anyway to get in on this I’d pay in full now. Id even buy 2!
I'd love to accommodate, but these involve an incredible amount of effort to make and I'm up to my physical limits as is. I spent 11 hours today working on it. Any more any I would probably implode. I'm giving all the models code away for free, and I'm making a full set of tutorials (update on that coming today in the main thread) so you're welcome to build your own. I'm not discounting another run some time in the future so I'll keep your name handy, but unfortunately I can't expand the run any further without compromising what I've already committed to.

Here's a snapshot of the progress so far:

3 sanded, tapped, and fitted. 3 more fully printed and in sanding, and the rest in various states as you can see. I'm working across from left to right by row.

The gray frame 3 down and 3 over was for the YouTube video, but as I said before, there's something magic about this natural PLA and it turned out substandard enough that I'm just going reprint and do the YouTube ones in clear. I don't want to go through all that and have more for the 'seconds' bin. I'm starting priming and more rounds of sanding for the first three from tomorrow, I figure I'm going to work in batches of 3, should keep progress snappy while not making anyone wait longer than necessary. I'm timing everything so after the first 3 I'll have pretty accurate ETAs on the rest.

lawgiver print progress.jpg

Here's soldering progress on the modules, I took my time today to make sure every wire is exactly correct. There's one set that's soldered by base component, then a second set that's entirely done but not soldered to the Arduino, then I have one more untouched set in the upper bins. These will become templates that I will use to make sure everything is exactly to spec. After measuring and taking pictures tomorrow I'll solder the first 2 full kits together and those will go into the first three Lawgivers.
lawgiver components.jpg

Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build here's some insight into all the electronics that go into this. I did this today as part of an inventory and a setup to start powering through all the electronics for the run as well as a guide for those building their own, 2fer! Those who just wanted the soldered electronics won't have long to wait, I should be ready to ship those in a week or so.

With the last deposit paid I would like to clarify that the run is full, thank you all. I would love to do more, but to be honest the whole idea of the run stemmed from the awesome responses to the build thread here, otherwise I would never have considered it. I have a huge backlog of props I've done for various projects and I'm creating a YouTube channel to teach how to build and make these as well as give all the models away. This isn't my day job, nor do I (ahem, my wife) want it to be, so there's no chance of expanding this run, parts are ordered. This is going to take two months to complete, and that's two months of delay on creating YouTube videos and new model releases that represent a huge amount of work.

Just for fun, here's a few of the ready to film 3D printable completed projects I will be releasing as soon as I can:

20220815_132803.jpg

TOS Phaser, type 1 Phaser is removable. I was showing it to this dude Bill and he scribbled his name on it, decided to leave it there...
20220815_132642.jpg

Aliens Pulse Rifle, this is already released as fully mechanical version but I'm doing it electronic! All parts move, shell comes off, grenades insert
20220815_132653.jpg

A whole whack of lightsabers that use cheap PVC core, these are compatible with many saber kits for pixel, smoothswing, etc.
20220815_132757.jpg

Droid popper with mutiple lighting modes with countdown time, weighted so it's always the right way up!
E-11.jpg

As seen in Bucketheads, awesome fan show, check it out on YouTube. Full lights and sounds, working bolt, working stock, light up scope, etc
20220815_133227.jpg

Same as the E-11 except this is an experiment with haptic feedback, scope is real too!
20220815_132712.jpg

Lots of grenades. Frag has working lights, Dredd smoke has working pin action, Dredd mine is magnetic.
20220815_132634.jpg

Mando blaster has full working electronics in this teeny little package. This was a design nightmare!
20220815_132839.jpg

5th Element stone each have different animations representing the movement of each element, surprisingly easy to make

And there's about twice that in my computer waiting to go. Apologies if this is horn tooting, but I'm excited to be sharing all this work and I gotta get my butt in gear to get this all out, the E-11 was printed in 2019!!

Last edited:
With the last deposit paid I would like to clarify that the run is full, thank you all. I would love to do more, but to be honest the whole idea of the run stemmed from the awesome responses to the build thread here, otherwise I would never have considered it. I have a huge backlog of props I've done for various projects and I'm creating a YouTube channel to teach how to build and make these as well as give all the models away. This isn't my day job, nor do I (ahem, my wife) want it to be, so there's no chance of expanding this run, parts are ordered. This is going to take two months to complete, and that's two months of delay on creating YouTube videos and new model releases that represent a huge amount of work.

Just for fun, here's a few of the ready to film 3D printable completed projects I will be releasing as soon as I can:

View attachment 1608468
TOS Phaser, type 1 Phaser is removable. I was showing it to this dude Bill and he scribbled his name on it, decided to leave it there...
View attachment 1608462
Aliens Pulse Rifle, this is already released as fully mechanical version but I'm doing it electronic! All parts move, shell comes off, grenades insert
View attachment 1608463
A whole whack of lightsabers that use cheap PVC core, these are compatible with many saber kits for pixel, smoothswing, etc.
View attachment 1608466
Droid popper with mutiple lighting modes with countdown time, weighted so it's always the right way up!
View attachment 1608459
As seen in Bucketheads, awesome fan show, check it out on YouTube. Full lights and sounds, working bolt, working stock, light up scope, etc
View attachment 1608467
Same as the E-11 except this is an experiment with haptic feedback, scope is real too!
View attachment 1608464
Lots of grenades. Frag has working lights, Dredd smoke has working pin action, Dredd mine is magnetic.
View attachment 1608460
Mando blaster has full working electronics in this teeny little package. This was a design nightmare!
View attachment 1608469
5th Element stone each have different animations representing the movement of each element, surprisingly easy to make

And there's about twice that in my computer waiting to go. Apologies if this is horn tooting, but I'm excited to be sharing all this work and I gotta get my butt in gear to get this all out, the E-11 was printed in 2019!!
You will go down in RPF history as making one of the BEST replica blasters ever from a film .

As kyds3k posted I was totally reminded something he said when he first ordered, it sorta slipped my mind in the chaos of ordered production:
He's back from a deployment in time for Dragoncon Sept 1 where there's a Judge meetup. I'd like to send him one on time so he has it for the event.

I will keep the numbering on the cards the original order of course, but I don't suppose Knightmare , jds12 , pnag you're all ok if I send his first if I only have the one done on time? Every one gets the same care and attention, so there's no detriment. It may, or may not, mean a few days more wait.

It also occurred to me that I may be able to send him the first one in the pics just to make sure the paint is cured, (after it has been stripped, resanded, repainted, refinished, and has updated electronics. No compromises!) but I want to ask to be transparent and keep options open to make this happen.

If you're not OK with this, DM me and we'll figure something out. If you are, thank you very much for understanding!

- Chris

Last edited:
Someone asked me on my discord my prep method so copy/pasting just fyi. Pic at the end of a frame in process :)

Pass 1:
- Sanding flat surfaces with diamond blocks(120,200,400)
- Sanding details with diamond pin files (150,220,320)
- Sanding with 3M flexible (150,220)
- 1K black primer
...wait a day...
Pass 2:
- Fill small imperfections with acrylic paste (acrylic mixed with marble), large with bondo glazing putty
- Detail cleanup with carving tools and knives
- Sanding with 200,400 diamond block
- Sanding details with diamond pin files (220,320)
- Light sanding with 3M 220 flexible
- Scotch bright pad fine
- 1K black primer
...wait a day...
Pass 3:
- 400 diamond block
- Extra fine scotch bright pad
- 1 more light 1K coat, only extra fine scotchbright
Then it's ready for final paint!
160A1360.jpg

160A1364.jpg

I'd love to accommodate, but these involve an incredible amount of effort to make and I'm up to my physical limits as is. I spent 11 hours today working on it. Any more any I would probably implode. I'm giving all the models code away for free, and I'm making a full set of tutorials (update on that coming today in the main thread) so you're welcome to build your own. I'm not discounting another run some time in the future so I'll keep your name handy, but unfortunately I can't expand the run any further without compromising what I've already committed to.
I appreciate the update. Glad you're managing this project. I'm non for a future run, or if someone drops out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back