Dragon gets Star Wars licence

If you want a y-wing, go for the 1/72 from Bandai... I have it and it is a fantastic kit. I have a FM one, too, and the Bandai is miles better. I'd like to see some new, larger scale Slave 1's or the really rare B-Wing. In fact, when's the last time we had an A-Wing kit readily available? Or a Tie Bomber... Jabba's sail barge? There's really not many good kits from the prequels either.

-Kris

If you want a y-wing, go for the 1/72 from Bandai... I have it and it is a fantastic kit. I have a FM one, too, and the Bandai is miles better.
-Kris

Miles better? I must protest. I have both kits, and the Bandai does indeed appear to be better. I would agree with that. But the degree to which it's better is much less than "miles". Before Bandai, there was a lot of praise for the FM kit--even though some pointed out a few inaccuracies ("inaccuracies" as opposed to "errors"). Before FM, what kind of conversations took place about the old MPC snap Y? You could say the FM or Bandai Y is miles better than the MPC kit, but that's about it. I would not warn anyone off of the FM Y if it can be found for a decent price--something that, compared to the going rate for a Bandai Y--that makes it worth it to get the FM kit instead. (Having said all that, the prices at ebay--for the FM kit--make me run to amazon for Bandai.)
Mike Todd

Miles better? I must protest. I have both kits, and the Bandai does indeed appear to be better. I would agree with that. But the degree to which it's better is much less than "miles". Before Bandai, there was a lot of praise for the FM kit--even though some pointed out a few inaccuracies ("inaccuracies" as opposed to "errors"). Before FM, what kind of conversations took place about the old MPC snap Y? You could say the FM or Bandai Y is miles better than the MPC kit, but that's about it. I would not warn anyone off of the FM Y if it can be found for a decent price--something that, compared to the going rate for a Bandai Y--that makes it worth it to get the FM kit instead. (Having said all that, the prices at ebay--for the FM kit--make me run to amazon for Bandai.)
Mike Todd

Well, you are right, I should not have said miles better. Just better. That's based on inaccuracies. FM have some great quality kits, but when it comes to judging them, it seems most people reference accuracy to studio scale models and what they've seen on screen. The FM kits lack in a few areas, like with scale (especially noticeable in the tie fighters) and accuracy with details. The figures that come with the FM kits lack in detail as well. They are better than the mpc kits but the Bandai ones are so much more detailed.

I guess what I'm saying is that Bandai requires less mods to get them screen accurate or to a good representation of studio scale than FM. No offense to FM, since I have many of their kits.

-Kris

Last edited:
Just a quick comparison of TFA Digital model,...the Dragon kit & the completed FineMolds 1/144:

Dragon%20Falcon%20flat_zpsajoxdjql.jpg

J

I never noticed how square the fm mandible ends are until now.

Is that a stock cockpit on your fm 1/144?

Other than that, they look VERY similar

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well thats the 32" for you:

Fronton_zps94fd1c26.jpg

That's not my FM1/144,....although I have the cockpit, dish & turret windows by Scratchy,....I'll post images soon

J

Pee-yew. It's a mish-mash of 5-footer, the TFA and the 32-incher. The mandible ends are square and the hull curvature is flat like the 32. It has some details like the 5, and it has an oversized TFA dish. Gawd. They are offering nothing new while grunting out the same inaccuracies we've seen on other kits.

Dragon, you're not even trying. You're doing less than trying. And unless this kit is going to retail for half what Bandai's remarkably reasonable kit is selling for, this model is a waste of everyone's time.

I'm absolutely not going to get one of these, however, I'm really curious to know the retail price of that kit.

BTW, how are the reactions regarding this on twitter?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back